Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede)

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Yes, that is really cool. When your juvenile reaches adulthood and it gets it long pink arboreal legs you may try and peel it off of your hand and realize just how powerful the leg strength of this species is. I often just give up when trying to get it off of my hand (because I am worried I will damage the millipede) and just let it eventually walk off of my hand.
That's the main reason I'm not particularly fond of arboreal millipedes. They're difficult to deal with because their grip is so strong. However, I'm sure these make up for it in other areas.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's the main reason I'm not particularly fond of arboreal millipedes. They're difficult to deal with because their grip is so strong. However, I'm sure these make up for it in other areas.
Ya, they make up for it with their other cool attributes and the I have come to enjoy a little tug-o-war when trying to get them off. I always win and the millis never get hurt. :)

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Ya, they make up for it with their other cool attributes and the I have come to enjoy a little tug-o-war when trying to get them off. I always win and the millis never get hurt. :)
They also stick to things besides hands of course....let them get on cloth and...oh boy...you might be waiting for a while before they come off, haha.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's waving at her daddy.

- Argos
lol... Awesome! :) Thanks for letting me know. I hope she does well for you. I was peeling her Mother off of my finger yesterday and noticed that she molted again and is over 8 inches and maybe 9 inches. I continue to not see any deaths with this species even when moving them to completely new enclosures. I would rate their hardness as a 10 but others have not. I would assume much of this (and the great reproduction I have gotten out of this species) is the way I am keeping them and the food I am feeding them. I also thought that my original enclosure (which I split into multiple enclosures) had 15 juveniles left and then yesterday I say 40 on the surface. Thanks again for the great picture.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: All of the colonies went down to 64 F in a power outage for about 48 hours. I will monitor the colonies to see if there are any deaths.

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
UPDATE: All of the colonies went down to 64 F in a power outage for about 48 hours. I will monitor the colonies to see if there are any deaths.
Hopefully there isn't any deaths! They should be fine as my agbs get pretty chilly during the winter sometimes and doesn't even seem to bother them.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully there isn't any deaths! They should be fine as my agbs get pretty chilly during the winter sometimes and doesn't even seem to bother them.
OK. What temps do they get down to and for how long? How high do you let the temps get and for how long? I always try and keep my millis between 73-78 F but sometimes I fail and I am wondering how these temp shifts effect their survival. Thanks! :)

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
OK. What temps do they get down to and for how long? How high do you let the temps get and for how long? I always try and keep my millis between 73-78 F but sometimes I fail and I am wondering how these temp shifts effect their survival. Thanks! :)
Mines got as low as 50 degrees for upwards of 3 days and my babies were fine and they have been up to 80 degrees for 2 weeks and unaffected but i generally keep my agbs about 75 and they love it! No deaths reportedyet. Just my experience with my AGB's so far.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mines got as low as 50 degrees for upwards of 3 days and my babies were fine and they have been up to 80 degrees for 2 weeks and unaffected but i generally keep my agbs about 75 and they love it! No deaths reportedyet. Just my experience with my AGB's so far.
Wow! Thanks for the info. I REALLY appreciate it. :) I am feeling better and hoping that I did not have any die.

Last edited:

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
Wow! Thanks for the info. I REALLY appreciate it. :) I am feeling better and hoping that I did not have any die.
No problem! just keep us up to date on your babies. Though i hope your reports how that no deaths will be seen! Good luck and i hope to hear they are all safe!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
D: Good luck man! I'd imagine the enclosures would retain warmth well enough that 64 degrees is ok.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
D: Good luck man! I'd imagine the enclosures would retain warmth well enough that 64 degrees is ok.
Thanks! Do you have any experience with your pink legs above 80 F. I have had them up to 84 F for about 24 hours recently (not by my choice) and I am hoping this is not too hot. I have not noticed any die off so I think this temp is OK for short time periods. Not sure about long term periods above 80...Thanks in advance... :)

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I try not to let my place get warmer than 80F. I think there were a few days at 82 when the AC was dying. I assume pedes go underground if it gets too hot, which should provide some insulation as well as prevent desiccation.