Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
UPDATE: Peter Clausen at bugsincyberspace.com will soon be selling a small number of my Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede). When mature this is the 2nd longest millipede in the U.S. hobby. Only A. gigas is longer. Females can reach 8+ inches while males are a little shorter. They are arboreal, very active, out in the open often and have a shiny black body (like motor oil) with long pink legs adapted for climbing trees. In an arboreal set up with tree branches they will climb. It is fascinating to watch them do this. These are currently the only Dendrostreptus macracanthus for sale in the U.S.

:) Get them while you can. :)

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
I immediately hopped on the bugsincyberspace.com site after reading your post, and right now they are listed as sold out. Does that mean he still has to add them to his availability, or are they really gone already??? :unsure:

I want to just contact Peter to request them, but I don't see a way to contact him via the site. :o_O:

CrawlinChaos

Arachnosquire
So, I purchased couple of Pink Legs fro, Peter about...4 or 5 months ago. Since I acquired them, they have proven to be probably the most elusive of all my millipedes. I rarely see them and the only indication that they exist at all is when food disappears. Is that normal behavior for them? I think I remember Mr.CP saying that Pink Legs are reclusive until they reach their adult size, but I my brain could just be making that up, lol.

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
@lagermorphette
I've been checking the site daily, they just haven't come yet.

@crawlinschaos
You're correct. My juvenile pink leg was rarely seen as well. In adulthood they have lots of climbing antics, so it's worth it once they mature. The best pedes for all day viewing are flame legs IMO, but they aren't as big as the pinklegs.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
So, I purchased couple of Pink Legs fro, Peter about...4 or 5 months ago. Since I acquired them, they have proven to be probably the most elusive of all my millipedes. I rarely see them and the only indication that they exist at all is when food disappears. Is that normal behavior for them? I think I remember Mr.CP saying that Pink Legs are reclusive until they reach their adult size, but I my brain could just be making that up, lol.
I have noticed that when I open enclosures with juveniles not many are on the surface. If I mist or provide food, shut the lid (it is a very dark enclosure) and then open it later they are on the surface. Some head underground when I open the enclosure. Some stay above ground. The adults tend to be on the surface much more if the surface is moist.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
UPDATE: I now have some of the second generation of captive bred Dendrostreptus macracanthus that are only one molt away from being adults. It has been about 2.5 years since they were born. I have noticed enclosures with large numbers of millipedes grow at slower rates than enclosures with 10 or less individuals. All of the first generation adults have died except for one 8 inch female.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
UPDATE: Peter Clausen at bugsincyberspace.com is selling a small number of my Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede). Females can reach 8+ inches while males are a little shorter. They are arboreal, very active, out in the open often and have a shiny black body (like motor oil) with long pink legs adapted for climbing trees. In an arboreal set up with tree branches they will climb. It is fascinating to watch them do this. These are currently the only Dendrostreptus macracanthus for sale in the U.S.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
UPDATE: Peter Clausen at bugsincyberspace.com is selling a small number of my Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede). Females can reach 8+ inches while males are a little shorter. They are arboreal, very active, out in the open often and have a shiny black body (like motor oil) with long pink legs adapted for climbing trees. In an arboreal set up with tree branches they will climb. It is fascinating to watch them do this. These are currently the only Dendrostreptus macracanthus for sale in the U.S.

Do you know when you/ Peter will offer more Pinklegs for sale? I am so excited to add this species to my little group. I keep watching, but am afraid a short hiatus could mean missing out.... PS - Is there another post you are keeping bumped up? This one is a year old.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Do you know when you/ Peter will offer more Pinklegs for sale? I am so excited to add this species to my little group. I keep watching, but am afraid a short hiatus could mean missing out.... PS - Is there another post you are keeping bumped up? This one is a year old.
Try this... @MrCrackerpants

Also wondering the same question.

Uromasto

Arachnopeon
I just read through this thread and it was amazing to see your millipedes develop. You have done a great job at keeping the species alive.