Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede)

CrawlinChaos

Arachnosquire
So, I purchased couple of Pink Legs about...4 or 5 months ago. Since I acquired them, they have proven to be probably the most elusive of all my millipedes. I rarely see them and the only indication that they exist at all is when food disappears. Is that normal behavior for them? I think I remember Mr.CP saying that Pink Legs are reclusive until they reach their adult size, but I my brain could just be making that up, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkfyre

Arachnopeon
@crawlinschaos
You're correct. My juvenile pink leg was rarely seen as well. In adulthood they have lots of climbing antics, so it's worth it once they mature. The best pedes for all day viewing are flame legs IMO, but they aren't as big as the pinklegs.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, I purchased couple of Pink Legs about...4 or 5 months ago. Since I acquired them, they have proven to be probably the most elusive of all my millipedes. I rarely see them and the only indication that they exist at all is when food disappears. Is that normal behavior for them? I think I remember Mr.CP saying that Pink Legs are reclusive until they reach their adult size, but I my brain could just be making that up, lol.
I have noticed that when I open enclosures with juveniles not many are on the surface. If I mist or provide food, shut the lid (it is a very dark enclosure) and then open it later they are on the surface. Some head underground when I open the enclosure. Some stay above ground. The adults tend to be on the surface much more if the surface is moist.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: I now have some of the second generation of captive bred Dendrostreptus macracanthus that are only one molt away from being adults. It has been about 2.5 years since they were born. I have noticed enclosures with large numbers of millipedes grow at slower rates than enclosures with 10 or less individuals. All of the first generation adults have died except for one 8 inch female.

Last edited:

Uromasto

Arachnopeon
I just read through this thread and it was amazing to see your millipedes develop. You have done a great job at keeping the species alive.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yes, they are! Very few, very expensive. But they are hanging on!

onebigmoth

Arachnopeon
Reading through this thread was an absolutely joy. I'd love to care for this species one day, if ever the chance arrives.