Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede)

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Hmmm. How much longer to adulthood? I'd like this species eventually...but I'd rather get them direct from you at some point.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm. How much longer to adulthood? I'd like this species eventually...but I'd rather get them direct from you at some point.
I am not sure how long it will be until they reach adulthood. I do not have any plans to sell them directly. :)

Last edited:

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
They are sold out already!!!! :o_O: I'm too late.

I had this tiny, silly hope that maybe they'd be offered here (to those of us on this thread) before distributing them to world at large. I'm sure it's much easier for you to sell them to someone else to market... *sigh*

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are sold out already!!!! :o_O: I'm too late.

I had this tiny, silly hope that maybe they'd be offered here (to those of us on this thread) before distributing them to world at large. I'm sure it's much easier for you to sell them to someone else to market... *sigh*
Yes, sorry about that. They went very fast and I was not able to offer many. The vast majority of the second generation have been moved to multiple large enclosures. I will now spend the next few years trying to get a much larger third generation.

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
how much were they going for, if you don't mind me asking? I missed out too, I was too focused on my new pedes. I can be patient, just would like to how how much to save.

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
Yes, I can be patient, too. :) I wonder if you'll ever consider selling them directly. I'd rather be lining your pockets with bills than see someone else profit off your time, energy, and admirable care of these little guys. Just my 2 cents :)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I can be patient, too. :) I wonder if you'll ever consider selling them directly. I'd rather be lining your pockets with bills than see someone else profit off your time, energy, and admirable care of these little guys. Just my 2 cents :)
Thanks, lagomorphette. It is a good idea but selling them on my own requires a huge time commitment that I do not have with my current schedule. bugsincyberspace.com is a very reputable store. Peter Clausen is an expert on millipede care and is also an expert "bug" packer. People that buy my millipedes from him are in great hands. Thanks, again for the suggestion. Maybe someday if I have the time, I can sell them direct.

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
Mr.Crackerpants I must thank you then, as I picked up the last one from Peter just a few days ago. I'm loving the pede so far. I'm just sad there was only one left.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mr.Crackerpants I must thank you then, as I picked up the last one from Peter just a few days ago. I'm loving the pede so far. I'm just sad there was only one left.
That is awesome! Sorry you go the last one. They are great millipedes. When they molt out as adults and they display their adult colors you will be very surprised how beautiful they are. The contrast of their long pink legs and SUPER shiny black bodies is amazing.

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
I can't wait to see their adult colors. I was surprised to read in this thread that they are arboreal, I'm looking forward to watching it do some climbing once I find a suitable branch

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't wait to see their adult colors. I was surprised to read in this thread that they are arboreal, I'm looking forward to watching it do some climbing once I find a suitable branch
Yes, that is really cool. When your juvenile reaches adulthood and it gets it long pink arboreal legs you may try and peel it off of your hand and realize just how powerful the leg strength of this species is. I often just give up when trying to get it off of my hand (because I am worried I will damage the millipede) and just let it eventually walk off of my hand.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My new plings all vanished underground a few days ago. Here's hoping for a group molt!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: I have divided the remaining juveniles into 5 large to extra large enclosures. They will be my breeding stock for the 3rd generation. In the future I may divide them into addition enclosures since some enclosures currently have 10, while some have 20 and one has 30 juveniles. The number of juveniles still remaining in the original enclosure is currently unknown. I thought I had about 15 in it but recently saw as many as 35.

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
When you say 3rd generation is this what you mean?
1st generation = ~2011 purchased C.B. immatures (actual parents and grandparent's pictured in MIC).
2nd generation = current large immatures 2014
3rd generation = their future offspring 2016?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you say 3rd generation is this what you mean?
1st generation = ~2011 purchased C.B. immatures (actual parents and grandparent's pictured in MIC).
2nd generation = current large immatures 2014
3rd generation = their future offspring 2016?
Yes... :) :) :) 3rd generation for me.

---------- Post added 11-26-2014 at 12:24 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
How big are the extra large enclosures?
Roughneck 18-Gal. Storage Tote

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-18-Gal-Roughneck-Tote-FG2215H2MICBL/100644802

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! I forgot to ask, how deep is the substrate?

Where do you keep such big tubs? Do you have a bug room?