Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting. How long do you leave the carrots in the tank? I might have to try carrots with my Ivory babies.

How many plings do you have now?
I just put them in there until they are gone. It did not work with my ivories. I am not sure how many pink legs I have. When I move most leaves there is one under it, so it seems like a good number. I'm excited about this species. : )

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just gave the baby Ivories some melon and they're going to town.

I'm excited too, you have no idea! I don't even know why exactly it's my favorite species.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update: So I bought 5 babies Dendrostreptus macracanthus from Peter at bugsincyberspace a couple years ago. I thought I only had 2 that made it to adulthood. Then I found 3 adults. And then I found babies. So today I found 4 adults! I have not seen 4 adults on the surface for over 2 years and they were much smaller then. I also finally got a picture of a baby.

a.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG

Last edited:

Msh

Arachnosquire
That's awesome! Good thing new substrate/food material is added right on top of what's already there. It'd be a shame to accidently throw one out with the old substrate thinking you only had 2 or 3 adults left in there.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's awesome! Good thing new substrate/food material is added right on top of what's already there. It'd be a shame to accidently throw one out with the old substrate thinking you only had 2 or 3 adults left in there.
Yes, good point. I have never removed any substrate. I am always just adding new dead leaves and rotting wood.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's great! Despite being an allegedly arboreal species, my pinkleg spends way more time underground than any of my other pedes. I go weeks without seeing him sometimes.

I'm so glad you posted a baby photo. How big are they now?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's great! Despite being an allegedly arboreal species, my pinkleg spends way more time underground than any of my other pedes. I go weeks without seeing him sometimes.

I'm so glad you posted a baby photo. How big are they now?
Yes, I have noticed that too. Very interesting... The babies are about 1.5 inches. How is your pink leg doing?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I have noticed that too. Very interesting... The babies are about 1.5 inches. How is your pink leg doing?
I wonder if there's some way to encourage them to stay out/climb more often. The first month or so I had mine he was out lots and would climb the lid of the tank a lot. He's currently eating a piece of plum alongside the ton of baby ivories in that tank. I've noticed he comes out a lot more frequently if I leave him a treat. Only comes out at night, though.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder if there's some way to encourage them to stay out/climb more often. The first month or so I had mine he was out lots and would climb the lid of the tank a lot. He's currently eating a piece of plum alongside the ton of baby ivories in that tank. I've noticed he comes out a lot more frequently if I leave him a treat. Only comes out at night, though.
Thanks. Baby ivories! Such a beautiful species.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm really impatient to see my ivory plings get some stripes. I have no idea at what age they will, though.

You'll have to keep tabs on the changes your pinkleg plings go through as they mature. With lots of photographic documentation, please!

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I'm really impatient to see my ivory plings get some stripes. I have no idea at what age they will, though
My Ivories started developing dark bands at around 7 months and the distinctive black/white banding at 10 to 11 months.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm really impatient to see my ivory plings get some stripes. I have no idea at what age they will, though.

You'll have to keep tabs on the changes your pinkleg plings go through as they mature. With lots of photographic documentation, please!
Any idea how many babies you have?

---------- Post added 07-19-2013 at 06:24 PM ----------

As I said the plings are eating "baby" carrots (i.e., roots) which is odd because none of my other millipede species eat carrots. I placed 6 "baby" carrots in their enclosure 3 days ago. All of the carrots are now half gone. You can see where the pling eats half way or all the way through the carrot making a tunnel. This is good info for anyone trying with plings of this species. Also I placed a small piece of watermelon rind into the enclosure 3 days ago. I lifted it up today and there were 7 plings eating the bottom. I am not sure how many I have but I think a pretty good number. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Shebeen! My biggest ivory plings are about 5 months old right now.

I've got no idea how many babies I have. A lot. They're in a really big tank (18"x18"), and I see them freaking everywhere. At least a hundred, I'd say. I keep finding more freshly hatched ones as well. My ornatas seemed to really enjoy shredded carrot too. It's really interesting that there may be species-specific food preferences.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got no idea how many babies I have. A lot. They're in a really big tank (18"x18"), and I see them freaking everywhere. At least a hundred, I'd say. I keep finding more freshly hatched ones as well. My ornatas seemed to really enjoy shredded carrot too. It's really interesting that there may be species-specific food preferences.
Wow! At least a hundred. Awesome. I love that species...so beautiful but I am a sucker for any bug that has sharp white and black contrasts...Acanthoscurria brocklehursti (Brazilian Black and White Tarantula), Acanthoscurria geniculata (Giant White Knee Tarantula), Poecilotheria miranda (Bengal Spotted Ornamental Tarantula), Poecilotheria regalis (Indian Ornamental Tarantula), Therea petiveriana (Domino Roach),Therea olegrandjeani (Question Mark Roach)...some of my favorite bugs. So you ornatas like carrots. Interesting...

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: Today I saw 25 baby Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede) on the surface. :biggrin:

I have a VERY heavy layer of dead leaves and dead wood on the surface. I turned over a few leaves and saw more. :biggrin:

Spepper

Arachnodemon
UPDATE: Today I saw 25 baby Dendrostreptus macracanthus (Giant Glossy Black Pinkleg Millipede) on the surface. :biggrin:

I have a VERY heavy layer of dead leaves and dead wood on the surface. I turned over a few leaves and saw more. :biggrin:
That's AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!!!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man that's fantastic! I can't wait to see! How big are they now?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!!!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 08-27-2013 at 08:17 PM ----------

Oh man that's fantastic! I can't wait to see! How big are they now?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I need to get a pic. I would say they are 2 inches long. The are also this really cool pinkish color and VERY shiny.