Darlingi has colonized a drain.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lol i never really thought about it but you are correct. I should have known that from replacing them. But i had a stupid moment. Either way if the house has a basement, the plumbing going from the tub can be removed from the rest, and the tarantula can be isolated inside the tub plumbing, giving it only 3 places to run, out the drain, up the overflow, or out the bottom of the plumbing.
Actually there is no "trap" on a bathtub the overflow serves this purpose. you would have to tear into the ceiling/floor to expose it. Possibly driving the T further down into the drain which connects to other drain/vents throughout the houses plumbing.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm dying to know what happened to this darlingi. The above advice seems solid, but since I'm not very confident in my plumbing abilities, I'd probably place some container over the drain that is large enough to contain a hide of some sort. Place the hide near the drain and hopefully the darlingi will take up residence there instead.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I honestly would recommend feeding it because if it decides to leave it's home, what's to stop it from going deeper in to the drain? I'd rather keep it put and make sure I know where it is than risk having it go down in to the drain and be gone forever.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I honestly would recommend feeding it because if it decides to leave it's home, what's to stop it from going deeper in to the drain? I'd rather keep it put and make sure I know where it is than risk having it go down in to the drain and be gone forever.
It'll just retreat back into the drain immediately after grabbing the prey item. These guys typically don't eat out in the open.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Main purpose of a trap is hold water so smells don't come back up the drain hole.so if it was my tub it will have a trap hooked to it , but not directly to tub .when the water drys up in the trap the spider can crawl to where ever the pipe leads it.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I think OP deserves congratulations on making bathtub plumbing a topic in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions'.

Hopefully the prize will be getting her spider back.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually there is no "trap" on a bathtub the overflow serves this purpose. you would have to tear into the ceiling/floor to expose it. Possibly driving the T further down into the drain which connects to other drain/vents throughout the houses plumbing.

How about removing the overflow cap and sticking a hair drier in it? Turn it on full blast and, if enough air moves back up the drain, it may disturb the spider enough to run out.

Other option: figure out a way to make a temporary seal at the junction between the overflow and drain pipes then pour water in to flood it out. Something inflatable might work. I don't know how much room there is to work with though.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm picturing a long tube (with a bend joint angled over drain hole) and a cricket or something stapled well onto opposite end of tube. Somehow getting fellow to think he's found another tunnel and then block off tub drain before he can leave 'new' tube setup.

I want this fellow out -- bugging me to know he's set up housekeeping in such a place!

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
If you can make a small umbrella type of thing(or something with a ball you could inflate) that you could push in its closed form behind the spider and then open it to fill the pipe and pull it back slowly pushing the T outside, it would be the best and easiest solution I can think of.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually Ellen you might be on to something. Get a length of PVC pipe a little bit smaller in diameter than the drain and stick it in the hole. He'll extend his burrow in to the pipe and then when you're sure he's in it just pull it off. He'll be hiding in the pipe and you can just move him to his new enclosure.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
This has been a fun read lol. I haven't seen the spider since I posted the question. I put two crickets in a few days ago, they were not ate. So either he retreated way far into the drain, or he's taken up residence elsewhere.

Sorry for the anticlimactic ending.

Also the bathroom is on the second floor. There's no easy access to the plumbing, and we rent so couldn't go breaking into walls.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
Have you tried running the water at a trickle...not enough to wash it away quickly, but just enough to make the pipe inhospitable?

Its a technique many have used to get their t's out of deep holes both to re-house and to catch wild ones.

From a rental standpoint, this is quite worrisome. The amount of webbing these spiders lay, and its relative strength, could easily cause that pipe to clog, or at least drain slow....this will also lead to other debris getting caught in that webbing to quickly clog the pipe. That webbing is tough, and I know from cleaning enclosures that just running water isn't enough to clear webbing. I seriously don't know how that drain is going to be able to be cleaned completely.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Not all have them. Those types are for people who p in the shower, requiring a p trap.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I really hope your little guy/gal makes it out of there. If you are going to catch it outside of its drain lol its most likely going to be at night. This may be a bit extreme but perhaps you could try setting some non toxic sticky traps around the drain at night? It would be a trip trying to get it off of one though. I will post back if I think of something overly helpful. lol

Methal

Arachnosquire
turn the water on just a bit. he starts getting wet he'll move out of there.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 01:56 PM ----------

Actually Ellen you might be on to something. Get a length of PVC pipe a little bit smaller in diameter than the drain and stick it in the hole. He'll extend his burrow in to the pipe and then when you're sure he's in it just pull it off. He'll be hiding in the pipe and you can just move him to his new enclosure.
that right there just might work. He'll come to the 'new' entrance of the slightly smaller PVC pipe if you can gently lift it out of there with the spider you may win.