Darlingi has colonized a drain.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I wanted to set up a cupboard + drywall enclosure for a female Kukulcania hibernalis... I'd even paint the drywall with cheap latex paint, and then chip it a little. Make the cupboard just a corner, and your Southern House Spider is right at... err, home.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This thread has me thinking of setting my darlingi up in a new enclosure, complete with a bathtub drain hide.
LOl Id take a bite before my baboon spider took my bathroom over.:eek: Na no thanks , Drain had no screen? Mine has a screen a big spider could never fit in. I might screen all the air vents too so roaches don't escape get in them and die.

Its near impossible to get a T out of a drain any success OP??

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
LOl Id take a bite before my baboon spider took my bathroom over.:eek: Na no thanks , Drain had no screen? Mine has a screen a big spider could never fit in. I might screen all the air vents too so roaches don't escape get in them and die.

Its near impossible to get a T out of a drain any success OP??
my drain has a cross, i cant get my big ol fingers in it [pinkies a 11 so they arnt small lmao] but im sure a spider could take over mine.. but agree id take a bite before a OW took over a room.. tho if a gravid Pterror or Poec got out and i cant find her within a hr....."huuuuunny where moving!"

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
my drain has a cross, i cant get my big ol fingers in it [pinkys and 11 so they arnt small lmao] but im sure a spider could take over mine.. but agree id take a bite before a OW took over a room.. tho if a gravid Pterror or Poec got out and i cant find her within a hr....."hunny where moving!"
Yeah I had a HUGE 8" P ornata loose once, definitely scared my parents mom said catch that huge thing !!!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
OH MY GOD HE IS STILL THERE.

My daughter has showered probably 12 times. We've bathed the dogs. We've washed the hedgehog tank. He is nonetheless STILL LIVING IN THE DRAIN.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 06-27-2015 at 10:51 PM ----------

Totally trying the shop vac idea. I think a tampon would still be too slim, and there's no telling how far he's going in the drain when he's not mocking us by making an appearance.

Also interesting to note that he appears to have maintained an internal clock as he doesn't show up during the day. Only at night. The bathroom doesn't get much light at all so even during the day, it's pretty dark without turning the light on.

---------- Post added 06-27-2015 at 10:56 PM ----------

My daughter has showered probably 12 times. We've bathed the dogs. We've washed the hedgehog tank. He is nonetheless STILL LIVING IN THE DRAIN.

---------- Post added 06-27-2015 at 10:51 PM ----------

Totally trying the shop vac idea. I think a tampon would still be too slim, and there's no telling how far he's going in the drain when he's not mocking us by making an appearance.

Also interesting to note that he appears to have maintained an internal clock as he doesn't show up during the day. Only at night. The bathroom doesn't get much light at all so even during the day, it's pretty dark without turning the light on.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek

[/COLOR]Totally trying the shop vac idea.

---------- Post added 06-27-2015 at 10:56 PM ----------

Glad to hear the little imp is still alive. You might try sucking a knee high stocking (fish net FTW) ;) into the vacuum hose secured by a rubber band. then it would not go any further into the workings of the vacuum if successful. Good Luck

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I got him! Video coming soon.

Things I've learned:
1. Spiders are jerks.
2. C. darlingi can apparently survive anywhere.
3. Superworms don't like thread tied to them.
4. Spider fishing needs to be a thing.
5. Tape lids. When in doubt, add more tape.

cold blood

Staff member

Things I've learned:
1. Spiders are jerks.

Can't wait to see that vid!! It will be a free range darlingi no more:)

Congrats on the catch!!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Things I've learned:
1. Spiders are jerks.

I'd say that's a relief! Can't wait for the video!!!

cold blood

Staff member
Go fishing. I'm serious. Now, people might not think this is good for the spider, but neither is it staying in there. Agitate it with something attached to a piece of string. Get it to sink its fangs in. Then pull it out. Or warm up some raw chicken or something and leave it in the bathtub.

Props to sentinel...aside from the raw chicken idea (which I still chuckle about)....this was indeed the final solution.

---------- Post added 06-28-2015 at 01:00 PM ----------

Spider fishing -- your new hobby, CB?? ;)
I can't imagine the fight would be very entertaining compared to a fish....I'll stick with the fish for now.:wink:

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I can't imagine the fight would be very entertaining compared to a fish....I'll stick with the fish for now.:wink:
Well, now, I think you're not thinking about the right species. I'll bet there are some OWs who would give you quite a fight!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Things I've learned:
1. Spiders are jerks.

Niiiiiiiice! Good job, Steph! Looking forward to the vid - this whole story makes me grin everytime I check on it :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
*slow clap* and here i would have done that about 2 weeks ago as a "at least i tried" but to each his own ..the pic of him in drain.. Bahahaha... For gour sake i hope its a guy.. Otherwize.. The next 5-10+ years may be a pain xD

Bugmom

Arachnolord
*slow clap* and here i would have done that about 2 weeks ago as a "at least i tried" but to each his own ..the pic of him in drain.. Bahahaha... For gour sake i hope its a guy.. Otherwize.. The next 5-10+ years may be a pain xD
When I hadn't seen him for awhile, I really thought he was gone for good. I didn't think the fishing idea would work because he usually retreated when he realized he'd been spotted. He doesn't look worse for wear, and looks to have molted at least once. I'd have been skeptical of this story if it hadn't happened to me.

My daughter was like, "I can't believe I've been showering with him for weeks!" Well neither can we!

I really want to put a scope with video down that drain. It's so bugging me (no pun intended) not knowing how he never washed away.

Hope to have the video uploaded to YouTube tomorrow.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
When I hadn't seen him for awhile, I really thought he was gone for good. I didn't think the fishing idea would work because he usually retreated when he realized he'd been spotted. He doesn't look worse for wear, and looks to have molted at least once. I'd have been skeptical of this story if it hadn't happened to me.

My daughter was like, "I can't believe I've been showering with him for weeks!" Well neither can we!

I really want to put a scope with video down that drain. It's so bugging me (no pun intended) not knowing how he never washed away.

Hope to have the video uploaded to YouTube tomorrow.

as for not washing him away ud be shocked how well they grip walls plus tech the drain doesnt fill compleatly with water [id hope]

im shocked hes ok sense youv washed the dogs o.0 [flea bath im asusming]