Darlingi has colonized a drain.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
The first thing I tried was a trickle of water. I'm guessing he stuck himself to the top side of the drain and ignored the water.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 06:56 PM ----------

Also the drain shape is such that there's no "down" to it coming from the tub. It immediately goes horizontal after about 2" of downspout.

I really don't think he's coming out.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The first thing I tried was a trickle of water. I'm guessing he stuck himself to the top side of the drain and ignored the water.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 06:56 PM ----------

Also the drain shape is such that there's no "down" to it coming from the tub. It immediately goes horizontal after about 2" of downspout.

I really don't think he's coming out.

Still hoping you'll get the T out of that drain, Steph. Although I can't help but smile about the whole ordeal. Goes to show that closing enclosures properly is the best prevention to escapes when everything else is taken care of.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Can you see the T if you shine a light down there?

Get you a long stick. thin, but long.
Glue a cocktail umbrella to the end of it. collapse the umbrella. Slide it behind the T. use the 2nd stick to open the umbrella. and slowly pull it out bring El' T with it.

May need something stronger.

or fluffy like a cotton ball, you could also use a straw, with the stick and cotton ball all stuffed in it. push it out the end of the straw behind the T and slowly pull the T out.

anything you can expand behind the T that is strong enough to pull through webs would do the trick.

If you lived near me I'd pay to come see this =D

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Have you tried calling the spider's name in a cheerful and positive tone?

I sure hope the next colonization isn't in one of your shoes. This is one thread I will keep following.

alexb2000

Arachnopeon
Shop vacs have a soft filter in between the motor and the catch tank. If you cleaned it out very well and possibly padded it on the inside you could try too suck the spider out of its home. Reverse three little pigs.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Shop vacs have a soft filter in between the motor and the catch tank. If you cleaned it out very well and possibly padded it on the inside you could try too suck the spider out of its home. Reverse three little pigs.
thats a semi brutal, yet very valid point o.0

keep seeing this bumped and i chuckle a little, not because i tgot out, god no! but because of all places he took up a drain, not behind a shelf, not in a closet, heck not even inside the back of a dresser [which has parts that dont get touched by the sides/back] but a drain o_O lol he knows whats natural ;P

alexb2000

Arachnopeon
Definitely not the first thing I would try. If you could get anything past the T I would let the drain completely dry out and then slide a tampon down past it tied to a string. Add water and pull. Much like the mini umbrella idea.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Definitely not the first thing I would try. If you could get anything past the T I would let the drain completely dry out and then slide a tampon down past it tied to a string. Add water and pull. Much like the mini umbrella idea.
but the drains primarily horizontal so how would you shove that down there without pushing the T further back or hurting it...

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
The drain angle discussion is what led me to the shop vac idea.
i have no complaints with this idea, i know i had a dubia i accidently dropped and didnt know get sucked up with some paper sheds my rats threw out.. i went to dump the canister and BAM male dubia im like "WTF"

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Thats actually good thinking.... that particular idea may not work but its on the right track. We are all fairly intelligent people for the most part. Why not try and come up with ideas for some sort of contraption that could be slid past the T and then expanded to coax the T out?

alexb2000

Arachnopeon
Thats actually good thinking.... that particular idea may not work but its on the right track. We are all fairly intelligent people for the most part. Why not try and come up with ideas for some sort of contraption that could be slid past the T and then expanded to coax the T out?
Just trying to help/not just lurk anymore, not disrespect the intelligence of the board.

cold blood

Staff member
This thread has me thinking of setting my darlingi up in a new enclosure, complete with a bathtub drain hide.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
This thread has me thinking of setting my darlingi up in a new enclosure, complete with a bathtub drain hide.
hmm and here i thought the hobby at everything as far as enclosures but the kitchen sink... so we add a bathtub drain instead ;)