cross-breeding t's

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anybody cross breeding tarantulas before?

I was thinking about how they do it with dogs and snakes and stuff and I thought, "I wonder if anyone has tried it with tarantulas?" Long story short, curiosity got the best of me and I put my female Chillean Rose and my male Honduran Curly Hair together last night and they did mate! She went for the male a couple of times, but somehow the male managed to avoid the danger and do his thing. I'm going to try a repeat mating probably tomorrow night or wednesday. I'm pretty amazed... hopefully all of this will result in some pretty cool babies!;) :eek: {D :drool:

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Totally! I'm gonna try to upload a vid I took of the last few seconds before she really went for him.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow two different genus huh, that I have not seen but I have seen B. Albo and B. Vagans mate, but they were the same genus just different species not two totally different genuses.
I'd like to see this video as well, I would thing two Ts that different would mortal combat.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the offspring grow up to look too much like either parent, you got to freeze them. What you did is the top phobia of many AB members, we must avoid any tempering of pure bloodlines.

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok so the vid isn't loading, but basically what happened is he did his little dance, she reared up, he rushed in and did his thing. What the video shows is the last 20 seconds of the encounter where she manages to break free of his hold and tries to have a bite... that's where I separate them and the vid stops.

As I've recently been informed that the cross breeding of tarantula's is somthing of a taboo among hobbyists, I would just like it to be known that I do not in any way believe in or condone humans playing God (or whatever diety you choose to aknowledge). What I have done was purely in the interests of science, simply trying to answer the question, "could it be done?"

If any of the pending young are to be sold, it would be with the complete understanding that these are NOT pure blood specimens.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok I find it interesting that you got to different genus types to mate. I am truely amazed by that, but I discourage hybridizing. We really don't need anymore species of Ts here, most Genus' are already messed up. If she does lay a sac, keep the Ts for yourself and if for some reason you HAVE to sell them off be sure to strictly inform the buyer of what they really are. I hate to be a critic, but like I said earlier in my post there are way to many Ts that need to be IDed already. Why add more into the mess?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok so the vid isn't loading, but basically what happened is he did his little dance, she reared up, he rushed in and did his thing. What the video shows is the last 20 seconds of the encounter where she manages to break free of his hold and tries to have a bite... that's where I separate them and the vid stops.

As I've recently been informed that the cross breeding of tarantula's is somthing of a taboo among hobbyists, I would just like it to be known that I do not in any way believe in or condone humans playing God (or whatever diety you choose to aknowledge). What I have done was purely in the interests of science, simply trying to answer the question, "could it be done?"

If any of the pending young are to be sold, it would be with the complete understanding that these are NOT pure blood specimens.

Maybe I shoulda read your full post before I posted.. :?

Oh well, I was just stressing the fact.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
most people seem to hate it. I think it would be cool to see what would happen, and would the crossbreeds be able to have babies?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think its a good idea to try it. Like the others said, there are so many species out there thats is just pointless to try to crossbreed them.

-Matty

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think its a good idea to try it. Like the others said, there are so many species out there thats is just pointless to try to crossbreed them.

-Matty
Like I said, it was just an experiment to see if it could even be done with 2 different genus'. I don't advocate playing God.

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, I know when you do it with a horse and a donky the kid can't have babies. is someone breeding crossbreeds?

No clue. Up until last night, I had no idea this was even a possibility. It's all been sort of a hypothesis really.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Like I said, it was just an experiment to see if it could even be done with 2 different genus'. I don't advocate playing God.
I don't believe that crossbreeding would be considered advocating God, but i just think it there is no need to do it. Good question and all because i'm sure everyone has wondered if you could.

-Matty

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't believe that crossbreeding would be considered advocating God, but i just think it there is no need to do it. Good question and all because i'm sure everyone has wondered if you could.

-Matty
I'll deffinitely give ya that... the only purpose for it would be either to answer the question, or to simply make a quick buck off of something nobody has ever seen. While it's arguable as to whether the interest of science is a good reason to do it, the latter is most deffinitely the wrong reason.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont see a problem with it so long as the offspring are killed, or kept by the breeder and not sold. The only reason people are so against this is all it takes is one breeder not caring who gets the offspring to start messing with the gene pools and muddying the water.
I still am amazed that its two differerent genus you got to breed. That I would think has a low chance of being sucessful. And even from your discription it does not sound like there were any insertions. Get that video on youtube......... I want to see it.

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont see a problem with it so long as the offspring are killed, or kept by the breeder and not sold. The only reason people are so against this is all it takes is one breeder not caring who gets the offspring to start messing with the gene pools and muddying the water.
I still am amazed that its two differerent genus you got to breed. That I would think has a low chance of being sucessful. And even from your discription it does not sound like there were any insertions. Get that video on youtube......... I want to see it.
Unfortunately I couldn't get the camera on it in time but there deffinitely were insertions... I saw the little spikey things that go inthe female on the ends of the males pedipalps as he pulled away.

As far as concerns go, I can assure you I care greatly about who would get the offspring (if any are sold, and if any are produced). I would much rather see them go to responsible owners than be killed. To me that's such a waste. My own belief, is that it's all about being responsible, and having a genuine appreciation for the animals, not for the money they may or may not bring in. With that in mind, I was thinking of the possibility of trying to get them to responsible arachnophiles on the boards, or even to zoo's or other educational institutions if possible.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
See thats where people are going to get hyped up about this. I don't think any should be sold for any reason. Keep them or kill them those are your rational options. You can never insure that the people you sell to won't re sell or trade them without saying they were hybreds.
But we are getting ahead of ourselves I doubt you will get a viable sac and offspring from this breeding.