cross-breeding t's

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt the T cross worked. If it did, he'd just have to come back bragging. ;)
TBH

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't see the need to cross T's. I especially don't want to see them for sale. I do believe some species cross naturally. How far genetically apart they can be, I don't know. I used to raise lots of silkmoths and found that in northern Wisconsin Hyalophora columbia commonly and naturally crossed with Hyalophora cecropia where the two species overlapped. They even shared some of the same foodplants. I raised a bunch and the offspring which were always 100% infertile. The hybridized offspring would mate with wild moths and even lay eggs, but the eggs would never hatch. I think cross-breeding will lead to a dead-end, but when I buy a T, I want to know the dealer is selling something that will breed and produce offspring and not something that has other genes mixed in that produces infertility, or diminishes the original beauty of the specie.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Short of him posting a video I don't even believe it happened.
Reading this from start to finish just now, I'm going to have to agree. This mysterious video never showed up, and in all likely hood, it probably never occured. Probably a simple attempt for recognition that backfired.

Newyork

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are the lynx / domestic feline hybrids seen on the market today from actual breeding?
I don't know about lynxes but there was a type of cat that was a hybrid of some strange type of small jungle cat and a domestic cat. The idea was that the unique markings from the cat that came from the jungle would make this new type of cat very popular. Many of these were bred before they realized that the offspring were very skittish and behaved much like feral cats. For this reason they could not be sold to the public. Some animals aren't ment to be breed together.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My interest was and still is purely scientific and inspired by a love and appreciation for these animals

Like I said before (think my post was removed?) but the fact that you are still bringing up selling them makes your scientific interest HIGHLY suspect. Plus as I stated before no matter what your intentions are once the hypothetical animals are out of your care you have NO control of what happens to them. NONE. If you sell any of them you have to assume that they will end up in the trade and somewhere someone will breed one, knowingly or not, back into the bloodline and there you go. Any way you look at it, it would be irresponsible to get rid of any of the potential offspring unless it is to someone to study and nothing else and in that case they should be donated and not sold.

BTW (by the way) JMHO is for, Just my humble opinion

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look, I've made my reasons for doing this clear. You guys are entitled to your opinion. I'm just rather p.o.'d about the attacks on my responsibility and intentions .
I'm pretty sure you've said several times that at least part of your intentions would be to sell resulting offspring. That would almost guarantee what most people here are afraid of. Not that the offspring themselves would be fertile, but the fact is we just don't know. THey may be fertile and then where would that get us. Hybridization itself is not bad but what happens with the resulting offspring can be bad. It's not like hybridizing a monkey where they will only have a couple of offspring max ( a manageable number) we're talking potentially hundreds of babies.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I don't know about lynxes but there was a type of cat that was a hybrid of some strange type of small jungle cat and a domestic cat. The idea was that the unique markings from the cat that came from the jungle would make this new type of cat very popular. Many of these were bred before they realized that the offspring were very skittish and behaved much like feral cats. For this reason they could not be sold to the public. Some animals aren't ment to be breed together.
They totally ARE sold to the public. They are called "Savannahs" if they are crossed with a serval and something else if they are crossed with a Leopard. Generation 5 and out are sold as normal cats. They are bigger than normal cats sometimes....not that different though. They even have snow leopard looking ones. They are pretty pricey as far as cats go but pretty:)

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's interesting how these gals are from the same mother and have the same father, but are so very different. Here are two of my albovagans ladies. Both recently molted. It seems to be split 50/50 on who looks one way and who looks the other.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry these little ones are restricted to Oregon and won't be leaving.
But they are cute I'll agree with you there!
i knew that... but i can still want all i want.:D
maby i need to up a state..:p
i also want every aphonopelma sp out there... not likely to happen, but i want
also want my kids to listen and mind... same chance as getting all the aphonopelmas

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ocicat?....they domestic and ocelot mix? One tried to kill me regularly as a kid and eventually killed himself with his leash

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a bad example because "ligers" were produced by humans through in vitro fertilization or artificial insemination. A male lion did not mate with a female tiger. QUOTE]

I would have to disagree with this. Not all Ligers, Tigons, LiLigers, Tiligers, Titogons, etc were produced with human intervention. There are more than a few of these animals in existance and there is at least one location that has a breeding program. There may be some that were done invitro but I was watching a special about hybrids and I'm pretty sure they had video of the animals doing it. Memory is a little fuzzy may have been some of the second and third generation offspring breeding but I find it hard to believe that if you kept and raised a lion and a tiger together that they wouldn't breed on their own. Zebra and horses do. Crocodiles and caimen do. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's interesting how these gals are from the same mother and have the same father, but are so very different. Here are two of my albovagans ladies. Both recently molted. It seems to be split 50/50 on who looks one way and who looks the other.
Wow, those really are neat looking T's. So much for hybrids looking like crap. So you won't sell them even to people you are sure won't try and breed them or pass them along, I guess?

Anyway those are neat little critters.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope, not selling or giving them to anyone. I did it just to make some of my own observations and that's it.