Costa Rica, Monteverde & Santa Elena Cloud Forest

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had similar findings in Belize, I dont know whether they are different than the highland ones because i did not go on a research trip specifically for the sp. in question.

Ghost13

Arachnopeon
Nice pics Justyn! It is great that you have the opportunity to visit another country, let alone go out and see a T in it's natural habitat. Most People do not get that opportunity. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll need to post photos of the rest of my trips. I'm hoping I can squeeze in two international trips later this year. Bolivia and the D.R. Congo. I guess I'll see what comes my way! Of course Arizona is a must, as well as cruzing around Texas and New Mexico, always interesting species there.

Nice pics Justyn! It is great that you have the opportunity to visit another country, let alone go out and see a T in it natural habitat. Most People do not get that opportunity. Thanks for sharing!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
correct me if im wrong here but i think its quite common practice for people to dig up spiders when trying to find them.i dont see what the big fuss is about.i can understand if this was on some sort of nature reserve or protected area but according to him it was on private land.

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So Rad!

Greetings,
Sounds like a very productive trip. What was the weather like. It looks quite bright. Also, does it really get dark at six o'clock at night. Did you observe any other arthropods.
Thanks for sharing!
Jon

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The tarantula photo was taken at night with a flash. The weather was quite nice, we went during the dry season in March. Yes, at 6 pm, it's quite dark, but the moon shines the way. I saw a few other species, but no other tarantulas. I was mainly looking for herps.

Greetings,
Sounds like a very productive trip. What was the weather like. It looks quite bright. Also, does it really get dark at six o'clock at night. Did you observe any other arthropods.
Thanks for sharing!
Jon

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
correct me if im wrong here but i think its quite common practice for people to dig up spiders when trying to find them.i dont see what the big fuss is about.i can understand if this was on some sort of nature reserve or protected area but according to him it was on private land.
The real problem is the environmental impact and loss of habitiat that digging can cause. Put enough holes on a hillside and you will get substancial erosion. This can ruin the area for a lot of animals. I'm sure this whole in paticular was filled in, and only one animal was dug up. I think the overall impact is slight. The tarantula might disagree.

I live in Arizona and have collect around 10 tarantulas in the last 3 years. I've never had to dig. The Tarantula Keepers Guild has a lot more information.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice, I agree that some of natures most interesting wildlife come from the highlands. When I was in Belize I found the sp. in question at a lower elevation. I was quite surprised with that because I had only found them in higher areas of Costa Rica.:cool:
Interesting. I don't believe M. mesomelas are native to Belize. Can you provide more details, location etc.

Ollie

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm still searching for my Tarantulas of Belize book in my moving boxes. I'm wondering this myself. Sometimes I wish I already unpacked my all my books. Between myself and my wife (English professor), thats several thousand books, no small feat.

Interesting. I don't believe M. mesomelas are native to Belize. Can you provide more details, location etc.

Ollie

Last edited:

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've only dug up a total around 5 other holes to see the distance. I dug up a Aphonopelma chacodes hole last year (aftern I collected the female), it was 5 feet long! I filled ni the hole on the COsta Rican hillside and I am sure it's already overgrown.

The real problem is the environmental impact and loss of habitiat that digging can cause. Put enough holes on a hillside and you will get substancial erosion. This can ruin the area for a lot of animals. I'm sure this whole in paticular was filled in, and only one animal was dug up. I think the overall impact is slight. The tarantula might disagree.

I live in Arizona and have collect around 10 tarantulas in the last 3 years. I've never had to dig. The Tarantula Keepers Guild has a lot more information.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've only dug up a total around 5 other holes to see the distance. I dug up a Aphonopelma chacodes hole last year (aftern I collected the female), it was 5 feet long! I filled ni the hole on the COsta Rican hillside and I am sure it's already overgrown.
But has that female already excavated a new burrow?

I only ask because you didn't bother to answer my last post asking about tarantulas being quick to re-dig burrows after being displaced. Do you bother to track the tarantulas you dig up or do you just assume that they build new homes? Or do you just figure there are enough in the area that losing one is not something to worry about?

I'm still not attacking you. I am honestly curious but you have a tendency to avoid or to try to tip-toe around direct questions so...I figure being somewhat tactless is the best policy. If not, so be it. I can live with not knowing.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm still searching for my Tarantulas of Bolivia book in my moving boxes. I'm wondering this myself. Sometimes I wish I already unpacked my all my books. Between myself and my wife (English professor), thats several thousand books, no small feat.
Rydog said Belize not Bolivia. They are certainly not listed in "The Tarantulas of Belize" by Steven Reichling.

Ollie

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I made that statement bases on other tarantulas that I've seen move a few feet from their old burrows, as well as females I've released after a few days in captivity that do not wish to go back to their old burrows. I did not track the female I released.

I will tell you that the Costa Rican highlands is likely one of the easiest places to construct a new burrow. The ground is easily dug and moist.

But has that female already excavated a new burrow?

I only ask because you didn't bother to answer my last post asking about tarantulas being quick to re-dig burrows after being displaced. Do you bother to track the tarantulas you dig up or do you just assume that they build new homes? Or do you just figure there are enough in the area that losing one is not something to worry about?

I'm still not attacking you. I am honestly curious but you have a tendency to avoid or to try to tip-toe around direct questions so...I figure being somewhat tactless is the best policy. If not, so be it. I can live with not knowing.

Last edited:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I made that statement bases on other tarantulas that I've seen move a few feet from their old burrows, as well as females I've released after a few days in captivity that do nto wish to go back to their old burrows.

Oh man...seriously now. What scientific background do you have? Because releasing animals back into the wild after being held in captivity is a serious No-No and anyone who condones that needs a serious revision of methods.
You're batting 1000...

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Ollie

Well all I can say is that facts speak for themselves. I either saw M. mesomelas or some other sp. that looks EXTREMELY similar. I found it at a national park just outside of Independence, Belize. It was in a mountain habitat but the difference in elevation between Monteverde and the park I was at is substantial. I have a picture of the spider I found, if I can find it lol.

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Danny, keeping a few females in there native range in captivity away from my collection posses no risk in releasing them a few days later after I could take notes and photographs. If you are going to continue to hack away at my creditals, please e-mail me and talk to me about this personal matter.

Now what standing do you have in this? How is your opinion vauled any stronger then mine? I've collected and observed a wide variety of species in their native habitats, I've been invited to be a co-author on several new species descriptions that are pending, and I had past publications to back up that I am not only knowledgeable, but well respected of by the top people in the field of Zoology (in their relative fields).

Oh man...seriously now. What scientific background do you have? Because releasing animals back into the wild after being held in captivity is a serious No-No and anyone who condones that needs a serious revision of methods.
You're batting 1000...

Last edited:

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That would be great!

Well all I can say is that facts speak for themselves. I either saw M. mesomelas or some other sp. that looks EXTREMELY similar. I found it at a national park just outside of Independence, Belize. It was in a mountain habitat but the difference in elevation between Monteverde and the park I was at is substantial. I have a picture of the spider I found, if I can find it lol.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Danny, keeping a few females in there native range in captivity away from my collection posses no risk in releasing them a few days later after I could take notes and photographs. If you are going to continue to hack away at my creditals, please e-mail me and talk to me about this personal matter.

Now what standing do you have in this? How is your opinion vauled any stronger then mine? I've collected and observed a wide variety of species in their native habitats, I've been invited to be a co-author on several new species descriptions that are pending, and I had past publications to back up that I am not only knowledgeable, but well respected of by the top people in the field of Zoology (in their relative fields).
I really have nothing to say other than I already have. I'm not trying to hack into your "credentials" as a quick search on the internet brings up the tons of information on your reputation as it is.

My only problem is with your psuedoscientific reasoning and bad methodology all the while calling yourself a respected scientist.

I think I made my point already.