Costa Rica, Monteverde & Santa Elena Cloud Forest

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was focusing more on the size of the burrow and construction. Andrew Smith did the same thing on most of the North American species.

I'll play the devils advocate on this one, there are numerous pharmaceutical corporations that test things on animals and in some cases do very unnecessary things in the name of science. That said, I do not see any justification for the uprooted burrow when there are Numerous mesomales in the area I know because I have been to monteverde and seen this sp. there. I dont see what you learned from this exercise other than that they live in burrows.:cool: I'd be interested in reading your paper on your results.

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My publication on this species is forthcoming once I can fill in more gaps in regarding reproduction, population density, range, and if there is a need for conservation being a mostly highland species.

you never answered his question:wall:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well then your research is justified, at the expense of a spider who is perfectly able to build a burrow. Where else did you go in Costa Rica?

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I stayed mostly in Santa Elena and Monteverde area. I'm a highland guy myself, such strangely adapted wildlife are on their highland "islands". My wife and I stayed in a cabin with a huge private forest to go explore around in.

well then your research is justified, at the expense of a spider who is perfectly able to build a burrow. Where else did you go in Costa Rica?

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice, I agree that some of natures most interesting wildlife come from the highlands. When I was in Belize I found the sp. in question at a lower elevation. I was quite surprised with that because I had only found them in higher areas of Costa Rica.:cool:

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My publication on this species is forthcoming once I can fill in more gaps in regarding reproduction, population density, range, and if there is a need for conservation being a mostly highland species.
i think he asked what publications or magazines where you in?? thats it....i see the post u did to him....

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did they exhibit any variation form the highland locals? I wish we had highland and lowland specimens to examine.

Nice, I agree that some of natures most interesting wildlife come from the highlands. When I was in Belize I found the sp. in question at a lower elevation. I was quite surprised with that because I had only found them in higher areas of Costa Rica.:cool:

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I've written articles for Reptiles Magazine, FAMA (Freshwater And Marine Aquarium magazine), Aquarium fish, Cichlid News, Ponds, and a bunch of international publications I can't think of at the moment (and hard to say).

i think he asked what publications or magazines where you in?? thats it....i see the post u did to him....

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah i think he was looking for specifics...because all I get, trying to research your writings are well not the best endorsements of your past practices...

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The sp. that I found in Belize did not exhibit any variation from those found in the Monteverde cloud forest. However the population density seemed to differentiate between Monteverde and around Independence, Belize.

~Ryan

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, there is Reptile magazine issue June 2004.

yeah i think he was looking for specifics...because all I get, trying to research your writings are well not the best endorsements of your past practices...

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
he wrote an article on chameleons, it took me five seconds to find that out, I just typed in google:

justyn Miller reptiles magazine

Edit: Title of article: Chameleon of the Clouds

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i didnt have his last name thanks...i know on other forums we use our real names but i didnt want to ask in here....thanks

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an additonal 50+ articles published. Some you'll be able to find on yahoo or google, others have been translated and might be difficult to find. I think I've proven my point on this, I doubt I have to try to list them all out, do I?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
with all that, you still destroyed the burrow:wall: look, im not here to pass judgement and i definitely don't want to see you have to defend yourself in yet another thread..soo no worries and some interesting pics...

wayne

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Many people may think it takes a while for them to make a new burrow, but I've seen tarantulas do it within a few days of settling down somewhere. It was worth it and allowed me to write detailed notes on it's construction.

with all that, you still destroyed the burrow:wall: look, im not here to pass judgement and i definitely don't want to see you have to defend yourself in yet another thread..soo no worries and some interesting pics...

wayne

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Many people may think it takes a while for them to make a new burrow, but I've seen tarantulas do it within a few days of settling down somewhere. It was worth it and allowed me to write detailed notes on it's construction.
That's something I was thinking about. I'm not attacking you, just curious. :)

Are M. mesomelas likely to build new burrows after being displaced? Considering the size of that burrow, it doesn't look like something that the spider just recently dug. Does this species move from one location to another if the area it's in goes belly up, food-wise, or do they stay in one burrow for their entire lives?

Interesting pics. Costa Rica is a place I've wanted to visit for a while. Nice to be able to at least read about other peoples experiences there.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Justyn,

if there is a need for conservation being a mostly highland species.
This species (or an identical looking one) can be found at low elevations in Costa Rica as well... far from Monteverde and in much different habitat. Just an FYI.

Eric

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Observations like this make me even more curious about this species. It was once said to be a highland only species, hmmmm....

Hi Justyn,
This species (or an identical looking one) can be found at low elevations in Costa Rica as well... far from Monteverde and in much different habitat. Just an FYI.

Eric

Last edited: