Considering getting a P. Metallica.. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
I was considering getting a new T.. A P. Metallica specifically. I've heard very different opinions on the beautiful animals, and I just want to know your experiences with them. This would only be my second T and I have not been an owner for long. Any and all input is welcome!

DeanK

Arachnosquire
As a 2nd T it would probably be a terrible idea. They're fast with a very potent venom. Maybe consider a NW T like C. Cyaneopubescens (GBB) They're fast but don't have the potent venom pokies do and it's also a beautiful blue T

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Before you can consider a P.metallica. You need to learn how to care for an arboreal.

These T's are FAST
these T's WILL PUT YOU IN A HOSPITAL
These T's are EXPENSIVE

if you are unsure about ANY tarantula, the answer is immediately no!

I know this answer is harsh. I apologize if me being blunt negatively affected you in any way

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Before you can consider a P.metallica. You need to learn how to care for an arboreal.

These T's are FAST
these T's WILL PUT YOU IN A HOSPITAL
These T's are EXPENSIVE

if you are unsure about ANY tarantula, the answer is immediately no!

I know this answer is harsh. I apologize if me being blunt negatively affected you in any way
Its fine! Haha. I'm very new to this and looking at a few different species as a second. I'm likely to do a lot of mind changing and second guessing before I actually get my next one!

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Its fine! Haha. I'm very new to this and looking at a few different species as a second. I'm likely to do a lot of mind changing and second guessing before I actually get my next one!
I have two recommendations.

B.cabloca. A very unique spider. These T's have scrawny legs that make them look like a true spider. They constantly burrow as a sling but as an adult they are very display worthy. Really gorgeous T's with healthy appetites. Fairly docile when adults. These T's are starting to be more common place but they are little more pricey.

B. vagans. They get a nice size. Not over 6 inches but do appear to look large. They grow fast for brachypelma species. These T's are not particularly aggressive, they simply view everything as food. Tongs is heavily suggested. They have great personalities. They actually "hunt" their water. Super cheap, east to care for. Good suggestion if you want to get into more "moderate new worlds".

cold blood

Staff member
Terrible idea, they, along with the entire genus, are an advanced species...OW's, especially arboreals, should only be owned by experienced keepers, otherwise you're asking for trouble.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
As @gypsy cola and @cold blood has already said, it´s not a good idea! If you want to get into OW arboreals one day, you should consider getting a Psalmopoeus, an Avicularia or a Tapinauchenius. Don´t rush things. The "Pokies" will still be there when you´re ready to get one :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I've been putting together a list of my wanted T's. Check out some of these species, they're all going to be beginner or semi beginner friendly.

Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma Vagans
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola pulchra
Aphonopelma Seemani
Aphonopelma chalcodes
Aphonopelma hentzi
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

I've omitted the more expensive ones on my list, after a little experience you can try out an Avicularia such as

Avicularia versicolor
Avicularia Avicularia
Avicularia metallica
Avicularia purpurea

After that, if you want to keep going up the arboreal tree, try out a psalmopoeus cambridgei. Then after you have delt with that for a while, IF you want to go into the old world arborals, ask someone for beginner OW suggestions (I don't keep OW so I won't comment on them) just don't take them lightly :)

(Keep in mind there are many, many more species of beginner friendly tarantula, my list was just a basic start to look at some cheaper, beginner friendly species that you will enjoy

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Buy one if you want I say. We are talking about your money, your choice, and your life, after all. And, to an extent, the people/other pets living with you.

Not mine, nor others. And nothing else. That's what really matters. Ask if you need, because at the end we are here for help. This is one of the reasons why exists sites like this one.

According to your profile, you are 18. In Italy an age where someone is supposed wise and old enough for drive, work, vote, for have a weapon, and for a lot of other things.

It's obvious to me (no offence) that (at least on the paper, because I don't know your ability IRL) you aren't prepared for one since that would been your second Theraphosidae, according to your comment.

And I'm sure you know that, because a quick search here, or in the Internet, will reveal easily that they are pretty fast Theraphosidae, with a potent venom.
However, my experience with those ('Pokies' friends) is negative on that sense. They have nothing more or much better/high strung (pattern/colours aside) to offer than a P.irminia in her bad day doesn't have.

Bottom line, I'm tired to give people advice such: "don't handle because... and because", or "experience is needed or else before owning this and blah".

From now on, I will say "Buy one if you want. If YOU want" and if you need help, ask.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I own a P.Metallica sling but only because I picked it up at an expo for a good price. IMO P.Metallica is overrated. If you wan't a blue spider that you will see a lot of and that will be easy to care for compared to poecilotheria just go for the classic GBB chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. They web like crazy and are out most of the time. If I had to choose between P.Metallica and GBB I would always go with the GBB. They are a little bit faster than your average beginner T but overall I would recommend them to somebody new to the hobby. I feel like a lot of people feel the need to jump into OW's sooner rather than later for reasons I don't understand. I own 2 OWs (P.metallica and H.maculata) at the moment and to be honest they aren't as cool as you would think. Also if people think they need to buy OW's and then realize they aren't really up to the task yet I can't imagine how it adds to your enjoyment. For me I wouldn't buy anything I feel uncomfortable with.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This would only be my second T and I have not been an owner for long. Any and all input is welcome!
Terrible idea. Due to all of the reasons mentioned above. It's like giving a driver's ed. student the keys to a top fuel dragster.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@Jamie Moore

It was hinted upon earlier, but there is what "they" call a ladder system to try and get you more adapted to each stage of owning tarantulas.

Here's an example of a hypothetical system:
Terrestrial (G. pulcheripes)
Arboreal ( A. Avicularia)
Fast Arboreal (T. gigas) or defensive (P. irminia)
First OW (C. marshalli)
More nervous OW (P. regalis)
Nervous OW (P. metallica)

Many people don't agree with needing a ladder system, but I wish I had done this. The first three months with my H. maculata were very hard because I was nervous around my boy. It's no fun to keep a tarantula that terrifies you.

On that note, read bite reports. It'll give you a whole new perspective and respect for these little guys.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
According to your profile, you are 18. In Italy an age where someone is supposed wise and old enough for drive, work, vote, for have a weapon, and for a lot of other things.
We're not legally allowed to drink until 21 here.

Can't buy a hand gun ( :astonished: )until 21.

My wife (during her rebel phase) actually got a ticket for possession of cigarettes in Utah at the age of 18. :shifty:

We don't trust teenagers here. Can you be drafted? Yes. Can you vote? Yes. :sorry:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We don't trust teenagers here. Can you be drafted? Yes. Can you vote? Yes.
For some things that age group has earned that distrust decade after decade, such as driving. There are reasons for their higher insurance rates.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
We're not legally allowed to drink until 21 here.

Can't buy a hand gun ( :astonished: )until 21.

My wife (during her rebel phase) actually got a ticket for possession of cigarettes in Utah at the age of 18. :shifty:

We don't trust teenagers here. Can you be drafted? Yes. Can you vote? Yes. :sorry:
Ah ah, I love the fact that here in Italy was absolutely not only normal but the rule to buy cigarettes at 12/13 without no one asking nothing, and this from North to South. Cash at the hand, nothing else. This since post WW2 to first 2000.

Only in recent years they started the campaign about the age issue on a serious way but still :-s

Same for good drinks, when we were 14 (so go figure how many years ago, I'm 37 ah ah) after the school to drink a Negroni, Campari and such was normal. Beer was considered like water. No one ever asked such things like ID cards or what else.

Italy was better once, definitely :angelic:

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
As far as I'm concerned age means quite literally nothing when its coming to owning a T. I have seen quite a few young (12-16) owners who have plenty of healthy and well taken care of Ts. Then again, I have seen older owners (I.E the situation we had yesterday where a 25 year old holder had no idea how to care for one and started with a P. Metallica.). It depends on your experience and how you handle them. Your age will not control this. I have a friend that is only 15 who owns 12 Ts. All healthy and well taken care of. And here I am 18 with only one and still learning. Seriously. I do not care if you are 100 years old. Your age does not determine how well you will handle a T.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
As far as I'm concerned age means quite literally nothing when its coming to owning a T. I have seen quite a few young (12-16) owners who have plenty of healthy and well taken care of Ts. Then again, I have seen older owners (I.E the situation we had yesterday where a 25 year old holder had no idea how to care for one and started with a P. Metallica.). It depends on your experience and how you handle them. Your age will not control this. I have a friend that is only 15 who owns 12 Ts. All healthy and well taken care of. And here I am 18 with only one and still learning. Seriously. I do not care if you are 100 years old. Your age does not determine how well you will handle a T.
But age plays a role in physical development. If you are 15 and still have the body of a child a bite by a potent species will affect you way worse than if you were a grown man. Age does not automatically mean being more knowledgeable but in my eyes young people shouldn't own dangerous animals.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I mentioned the age part here on your thread only for a reason: because (IMO, and for my views about life issues, views that aren't exactly anymore, in general, the same of this modern world one) at 18 years someone is (supposed) "old" and "wise" enough for decide how and where to spend his/her money.

Therefore considering even the idea to bring home a fast as light, potent venom spider.

It has nothing to do with a "age" alone issue (meaning, what's written in the ID card of someone) of course, because only experience matters. Therefore, if someone lacked a 'certain' experience 20/30 or 60 makes no particular difference when performing/dealing with something "new".

The sense of my comment was this: I have reasons to believe that you have, more or less, a somewhat idea of how fast they are, and that they have a potent venom. I'm certain that you are aware to lack the supposed/proper experience needed. I have no doubts that you considered everything, including the other pets/people living with you (if any).

So, after considering everything stated above, what remains is your choice and your choice only.

Bread

Arachnopeon
If you want pretty, the H.pulchripes I got off my brother is AAAAAAMAZZZING! with several A's and a few Z's thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.