Confirmation of Southern House Spider Please

Brandonallred992

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to see if I could get confirmation that it’s a southern house spider. I have zero spider education and my amateur research made me fearful of it possibly being a brown recluse. I read southern house spiders can be mistaken for a brown recluse and I just want to make sure for the sake of my animals. Thank you so much for any help, it’s greatly appreciated.

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I would say that's a Southern House Spider. It is definitely one of the Kukulcania and not a recluse.

There are several other Kulcania that look basically identical to the Southern House Spider (Kukulcania hibernalis), but in Florida K. hibernalis is the most likely suspect. The others are more likely to be found in the southwest.

Brandonallred992

Arachnopeon
Yes, I would say that's a Southern House Spider. It is definitely one of the Kukulcania and not a recluse.

There are several other Kulcania that look basically identical to the Southern House Spider (Kukulcania hibernalis), but in Florida K. hibernalis is the most likely suspect. The others are more likely to be found in the southwest.
Thank you so very much for responding, and especially for doing it so quick. I appreciate your knowledge and very happy to hear it’s not dangerous to our fur babies and that he/she can stay living behind my pool sign. I assume by your answer it’s a harmless spider which is really all I needed to know. Again, thank you so much, he/she gets to live on because of you.
Stay safe, have a great night!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you so very much for responding, and especially for doing it so quick. I appreciate your knowledge and very happy to hear it’s not dangerous to our fur babies and that he/she can stay living behind my pool sign. I assume by your answer it’s a harmless spider which is really all I needed to know. Again, thank you so much, he/she gets to live on because of you.
Stay safe, have a great night!
Yeah, she's basically harmless. If you were to grab her bare-handed, she might bite in self defense, but a bite would not be medically significant. I actually do hand-catch the males with no worries at all, but the females are too dang quick to disappear into their webs! I do have a female that I keep as a pet, but I rarely see her because she spends all her time in her nest. (I do see her legs sometimes, when she comes up to grab a cricket.)

Brandonallred992

Arachnopeon
Yeah, she's basically harmless. If you were to grab her bare-handed, she might bite in self defense, but a bite would not be medically significant. I actually do hand-catch the males with no worries at all, but the females are too dang quick to disappear into their webs! I do have a female that I keep as a pet, but I rarely see her because she spends all her time in her nest. (I do see her legs sometimes, when she comes up to grab a cricket.)
So the screenshots are from a video I took of her after I saw her (I guess you can tell it’s a female) run out from the sign to grab a roach. And to your point, I thought it ran super fast to get the roach, but again I know zero so fast is relative from me. It’s rare we see her because she is always behind the sign. But it’s always exciting when she comes out, far from me because I’m terrified because I am clueless to which are dangerous and which aren’t. Glad to know she’s harmless and we aren’t kicking her out. Thank you so much again, our worry is gone.
Have to rename her I guess, we named it Hyde because my wife and I love that 70s show, and she hides behind the sign.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So the screenshots are from a video I took of her after I saw her (I guess you can tell it’s a female) run out from the sign to grab a roach. And to your point, I thought it ran super fast to get the roach, but again I know zero so fast is relative from me. It’s rare we see her because she is always behind the sign. But it’s always exciting when she comes out, far from me because I’m terrified because I am clueless to which are dangerous and which aren’t. Glad to know she’s harmless and we aren’t kicking her out. Thank you so much again, our worry is gone.
Have to rename her I guess, we named it Hyde because my wife and I love that 70s show, and she hides behind the sign.
You could always switch it to Heidi.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I read southern house spiders can be mistaken for a brown recluse and I just want to make sure for the sake of my animals.
It's the mature males that tend to be mistaken for recluses.

A mature male that was courting a female on our porch a few years ago:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's the mature males that tend to be mistaken for recluses.
Those shots give excellent examples of how kukulcania and loxosceles could be mistaken for each other. Eye pattern is an obvious give away but that means good lighting and up close and personal inspection. A dark violin shape of loxo can make the dyads quite hard to see.
What would be handy is similar scale, similar lighting, quality side by side pics of the two.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This is a comparison image I made a few years ago.
Perfect. Needs to be sticky somewhere. Like How to ID a Recluse. The eye-mind likes contrasts and comparisons.

(I have a fabulous contrast comparison I can't post due to not owning the pictures. Trump in picture perfect hair with quotes extolling his virtues: I know ... I know... beside Einstein in his used mop doo "Any fool can know. The point is to understand. The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance.")

Last edited: