Choices for second T

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting my second T soon. I already have a B smithi which is around the 2.5 inch mark. It is doing well, feeding well & seems to molt ok.

I like both Euathlus sp Red & Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, just not sure which to get next.
I like the fact that Euathlus seems "friendly" & inquisitive.
I love the colours of the GBB plus their feeding response & the fact they are heavy webbers. I have read that they can be skittish though. How skittish are they? Would you guys recommend them as a second T?
I would appreciate any opinions and experiecies.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Go for the GBB, they are lovely T´s :). I have never seen a defensive pose from my specimen and they´re easy to care for. They might be somewhat skittish and fast, but as long as you don´t intend on handling it, I can´t see it as being an issue.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't be handling. I don't handle my B smihti because of risk of injuring the spider plus I don't see any real benefit from it.
I am kinda more drawn towards the GBB. I think I will probably go with it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting my second T soon. I already have a B smithi which is around the 2.5 inch mark. It is doing well, feeding well & seems to molt ok.

I like both Euathlus sp Red & Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, just not sure which to get next.
I love the colours of the GBB plus their feeding response & the fact they are heavy webbers. I have read that they can be skittish though. How skittish are they? Would you guys recommend them as a second T?
I own both, raised my adult females from slings. The reasons you wrote are exactly why I own both, and not one. Both will amaze you in different ways. GBBs will definitely grow much faster. I can't say if I would recommend GBB as a second T, depends on the person honestly.
GBBs are definitely more than skittish, not road racing demons like some OWs Ts in terms of speed mind you.

They are both excellent for entirely different reasons. The E sp Red can't be beat on its disposition, only G. pulchripes comes close generally speaking.

If space is an issue, get a E sp Red, adults can live in far smaller space than AF GBBs.

One of my red's, AF.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I have both E. sp Red and a GBB as well and, like @viper69 said they're both awesome, but for different reasons. My AF E. sp Red is the most laid back tarantula I've ever seen, but she isn't a pet rock; she is inquisitive and out and about and always wants to come explore when I open up her enclosure to feed/water/do maintenance.

My GBB (2" juvie, possible F) is very skittish, very quick, eats like every cricket is its last, and makes amazing webs. GBBs are a more "fun" T because of how quick they are, how much they web, and their feeding response.

Both are great and both are very hardy, but with the GBB you have to be prepared for some speed as well as fast growth rate. E. sp Red grows MUCH slower and generally isn't nearly as quick or prone to dash...mine just hunkers down for the most part when she gets startled.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
GBB would be a good choice, although they can be skittish. Another couple to consider would be G. pulchra or B. emilia, if you don't mind paying a little more, they are definitely worth it. :embarrassed:

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Acanthoscurria Geniculata? :)

Im considering a GBB too, only ever hear good things about them and their behaviors, plus they look beautiful!

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I own both, raised my adult females from slings. The reasons you wrote are exactly why I own both, and not one. Both will amaze you in different ways. GBBs will definitely grow much faster. I can't say if I would recommend GBB as a second T, depends on the person honestly.
GBBs are definitely more than skittish, not road racing demons like some OWs Ts in terms of speed mind you.

They are both excellent for entirely different reasons. The E sp Red can't be beat on its disposition, only G. pulchripes comes close generally speaking.

If space is an issue, get a E sp Red, adults can live in far smaller space than AF GBBs.

One of my red's, AF.

One of my red's, AF.

Hi Viper69.
That's a beautiful Euathlus you have there. As you say they are both great ts for different reasons. I will probably end up owning both lol!
The speed of the GBB doesn't bother me, just don't want it escaping when opening the enclosure to feed or do maintainence.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I have both E. sp Red and a GBB as well and, like @viper69 said they're both awesome, but for different reasons. My AF E. sp Red is the most laid back tarantula I've ever seen, but she isn't a pet rock; she is inquisitive and out and about and always wants to come explore when I open up her enclosure to feed/water/do maintenance.

My GBB (2" juvie, possible F) is very skittish, very quick, eats like every cricket is its last, and makes amazing webs. GBBs are a more "fun" T because of how quick they are, how much they web, and their feeding response.

Both are great and both are very hardy, but with the GBB you have to be prepared for some speed as well as fast growth rate. E. sp Red grows MUCH slower and generally isn't nearly as quick or prone to dash...mine just hunkers down for the most part when she gets startled.
Hi mistertim, thanks for the feedback. I can see why everyone says the hobby is addictive lol! Ill probably end up with both species but I'm more drawn towards the GBB.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
GBB would be a good choice, although they can be skittish. Another couple to consider would be G. pulchra or B. emilia, if you don't mind paying a little more, they are definitely worth it. :embarrassed:
hi Ghost Dragon,
B emilia would definitely be worth looking into, awesome markings!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hi guys,

No Brachy!? This is blasphomy! ;) So many to choose from pattern wise + easy care would be a great addition :D

clive 82

Arachnoknight

Im considering a GBB too, only ever hear good things about them and their behaviors, plus they look beautiful!

HI RMJ,
A geniculata are apparently a good starter species with regard to care although I hear they can be alittle defensive?
I see your from the UK too? Was wondering if you buy your Ts online? If so which sites have you found to be the best?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
HI RMJ,
A geniculata are apparently a good starter species with regard to care although I hear they can be alittle defensive?
I see your from the UK too? Was wondering if you buy your Ts online? If so which sites have you found to be the best?
The thing with genics isn't really defensiveness, but rather their absolutely insane feeding response. My genic attacks and tries to eat anything that even brushes the sub anywhere near it. Its M.O. is "everything is food until I have conclusively confirmed, without a shadow of a doubt, that it isn't". I think you would be ok with one as your second as long as you use common sense and respect it. They're absolutely awesome spiders...mine is pretty much always out and about (never seen it in its hide) and feeding them is fun as hell because they're basically cricket demolishing bulldozers.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Both are amazing Ts. E. sp red is a very slow grower though and C. cyaneopubescens grows fairly quick.

I would say GBB is a lot more interesting but this is only my opinion.

Get both if you can :p

clive 82

Arachnoknight
The thing with genics isn't really defensiveness, but rather their absolutely insane feeding response. My genic attacks and tries to eat anything that even brushes the sub anywhere near it. Its M.O. is "everything is food until I have conclusively confirmed, without a shadow of a doubt, that it isn't". I think you would be ok with one as your second as long as you use common sense and respect it. They're absolutely awesome spiders...mine is pretty much always out and about (never seen it in its hide) and feeding them is fun as hell because they're basically cricket demolishing bulldozers.
I have heard that they have a very good feeding response. How do you keep yours with regard to temp & humidity?

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Both are amazing Ts. E. sp red is a very slow grower though and C. cyaneopubescens grows fairly quick.

I would say GBB is a lot more interesting but this is only my opinion.

Get both if you can :p
Thanks for the feedback KezyGLA.
Both species would be good to own.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
If you go with a GBB get a sling. They're not super difficult to care for, grow fast and the transformation in colors is great to watch

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I have heard that they have a very good feeding response. How do you keep yours with regard to temp & humidity?
They're pretty easy to keep. General terrestrial setup like a Brachy or Grammo, but IME they tend to like a bit more humidity than the "bone dry" setup of those arid NW genera. I typically keep a couple corners of my genic's enclosure moist (in addition to a water dish, of course) and it seems to like hanging out in those spots sometimes. So a little bit more involved than a Grammo, for example, but certainly nothing onerous or involved like a Theraphosa.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I vote for GBB too! I cry recently got a sling and I think it may be my favorite, but I love my B albopilosum too! Do I have to have a favorite? Anyway, the little GBB is always out in the open, is lovely to look at and eats like a little monster! When doing maintenance, I'm always sure to put its enclosure in a bigger container in case it gets nervous enough to run out, but so far it hasn't. I've only had mine a week or so though.