Choices for second T

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
she is inquisitive and out and about and always wants to come explore when I open up her enclosure to feed/water/do maintenance
Same with mine, then again what convict wouldn't be inquisitive when the jailer opens the door.... :D

The speed of the GBB doesn't bother me, just don't want it escaping when opening the enclosure to feed or do maintainence.
Agreed. Well GBBs slow down as they mature in terms of their flighty nature, rather, some do.

In the right container, an E sp Red will escape if you turn your back on it for 30 seconds or less at times! :D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Same with mine, then again what convict wouldn't be inquisitive when the jailer opens the door.... :D

Agreed. Well GBBs slow down as they mature in terms of their flighty nature, rather, some do.

In the right container, an E sp Red will escape if you turn your back on it for 30 seconds or less at times! :D
Yeah, that's one thing about E. sp Red...they aren't speed demons but they are sneaky. Mine almost pulled a fast one on me last week actually. I was doing some maintenance and she went exploring and ended up outside of her enclosure...with her I don't really mind as I do it in a clear area close to the floor and she isn't skittish or anything so I can keep an eye on her and keep her close.

I finished up maintenance and got her in a catch cup and back into the enclosure (a medium size KK) and I turned around, found the lid and put it back on. I picked up the enclosure and went to go put it back in my T cabinet and what is sitting right there on the floor staring up at me? My tarantula. She had apparently gone down one side, then right up the other as I closed one side and then the other of the KK all in the space of time where I turned around to grab the lid and attached the near side of it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, that's one thing about E. sp Red...they aren't speed demons but they are sneaky. Mine almost pulled a fast one on me last week actually. I was doing some maintenance and she went exploring and ended up outside of her enclosure...with her I don't really mind as I do it in a clear area close to the floor and she isn't skittish or anything so I can keep an eye on her and keep her close.

I finished up maintenance and got her in a catch cup and back into the enclosure (a medium size KK) and I turned around, found the lid and put it back on. I picked up the enclosure and went to go put it back in my T cabinet and what is sitting right there on the floor staring up at me? My tarantula. She had apparently gone down one side, then right up the other as I closed one side and then the other of the KK all in the space of time where I turned around to grab the lid and attached the near side of it.
I had one do the same from a KK. Just hanging out up top, trying to navigate the ledge. Another time, up the vertical and down the vertical in about 20 seconds. I think its uncanny how they do it all the time, yet every species I've owned never does it. Definitely something unique about them regarding this behavior.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
If you go with a GBB get a sling. They're not super difficult to care for, grow fast and the transformation in colors is great to watch
I have heard a few people recommend getting a sling for the same reason. Would be great to see the development from sling to adult.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
They're pretty easy to keep. General terrestrial setup like a Brachy or Grammo, but IME they tend to like a bit more humidity than the "bone dry" setup of those arid NW genera. I typically keep a couple corners of my genic's enclosure moist (in addition to a water dish, of course) and it seems to like hanging out in those spots sometimes. So a little bit more involved than a Grammo, for example, but certainly nothing onerous or involved like a Theraphosa.
Thanks for the info, definitely one to look out for, they are a nice looking T too which is a bonus.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I had one do the same from a KK. Just hanging out up top, trying to navigate the ledge. Another time, up the vertical and down the vertical in about 20 seconds. I think its uncanny how they do it all the time, yet every species I've owned never does it. Definitely something unique about them regarding this behavior.
LOL! It sounds as if the Euathlus sp red has ALOT of character.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I vote for GBB too! I cry recently got a sling and I think it may be my favorite, but I love my B albopilosum too! Do I have to have a favorite? Anyway, the little GBB is always out in the open, is lovely to look at and eats like a little monster! When doing maintenance, I'm always sure to put its enclosure in a bigger container in case it gets nervous enough to run out, but so far it hasn't. I've only had mine a week or so though.
Good idea to maybe put the enclosure into a bigger container. Good tip, thanks!

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Good idea to maybe put the enclosure into a bigger container. Good tip, thanks!
To be fair, it wasn't my idea. Don't remember where I got the tip, but it may not have been thier idea either. It did prevent me from losing my husbands B smithi, so with little ones, I always do it.

cold blood

Staff member
Lots of good responses....If you like aggressive feeding response, coupled with confidence and visibility, a genic is hard to top. G. pulchripes is another great species, fast growers when small, after a few inches their growth slows, but theyre always busy, always hungry, and generally always visible.

Another to look for is T. cyaneolum....just a wonderful t, super calm disposition, never hide, great eaters and seemingly never flick hair...plus theyre blue.

They're way cool and possibly (IMO) the single most under rated beginner type t that has ever been known to mankind.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
HI RMJ,
A geniculata are apparently a good starter species with regard to care although I hear they can be alittle defensive?
I see your from the UK too? Was wondering if you buy your Ts online? If so which sites have you found to be the best?
Hi Clive, They certainly are a great starter, as @mistertim states, they're not so defensive just eating machines :D great feeding response every time and always out in the open for viewing. Im based in Reading mate, so just west of London. Drop me a PM and I can help you with some great contacts for Tarantulas in the UK!

Any opportunity to show her/share her beauty :p

2D8D205E-6191-4B3E-91E7-C74FD18FE007.JPG 2D213EBE-F456-4BBD-9A28-37872E45E344.JPG

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Clive, They certainly are a great starter, as @mistertim states, they're not so defensive just eating machines :D great feeding response every time and always out in the open for viewing. Im based in Reading mate, so just west of London. Drop me a PM and I can help you with some great contacts for Tarantulas in the UK!

View attachment 220422 View attachment 220423
RMJ would you post a pic of the entire setup please. I'd like a better look at it from end to end. Nice work.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Lots of good responses....If you like aggressive feeding response, coupled with confidence and visibility, a genic is hard to top. G. pulchripes is another great species, fast growers when small, after a few inches their growth slows, but theyre always busy, always hungry, and generally always visible.

Another to look for is T. cyaneolum....just a wonderful t, super calm disposition, never hide, great eaters and seemingly never flick hair...plus theyre blue.

They're way cool and possibly (IMO) the single most under rated beginner type t that has ever been known to mankind.
I am tempted by A geniculata now lol!
Ive not heard of T cyaneolum before. Ill do some research into it. Thanks for the advice.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
If you wanted to, you could go for an Avicularia (my favorite is A. metallica at the moment) I have owned 5 avics and all of them were gentle and docile (cannot speak for all avics though, only the ones I've owned). The husbandry seems daunting at first but it's easy to grasp if you have the right information. Just throwing this out there, it might be something to consider.

the geniculatas are one of my all time favorites, they grow like weeds and eat everything.
I am tempted by A geniculata now lol!
Ive not heard of T cyaneolum before. Ill do some research into it. Thanks for the advice.

clive 82

Arachnoknight

View attachment 220422 View attachment 220423 [/QU
Wow! Fantastic set up!
Are they live plants? Would good to look around some different t suppliers but how do I pm you mate? Not been using the forum long.