Can T.s Hiss?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is this a serious question?

In case it is, yes they can, although it's called stridulating (sp?)...
My P. murinus does it from time to time ... when I piss him off that is :).

Dennis

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure can. Most hissers (properly called stridulating) come from Africa (Ceratogyrus, Pterinochilus, Hysterocrates, etc) but there are others, like Theraphosa blondi and even Grammostola rosea can stridulate.

Adrian

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The stridulating sound is generated by bristles between the palps and first set of legs. They rub these together and *hiiisssssss*.
If you ever get hissed at, watch the T closely. You'll clearly see the stridulating motion.

Atrax

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oo cool thanks people, think if one hisses at me ill get scared senseless....i did when my friends snake did

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hissing T

When my H.Gigas hisses,you can hear it all the way across the room.Its the only one Ive heard actually do it tho...Rich

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes, didnt someone post recently that their B.albo or B.smithi stridulated last week? i dunno if it was true or not, but i think someone posted that....

peace
dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
doubt it...

B albopilosum and B smithi don't stridulate so they didn't hiss at anyone. If they heard anything at all it might have been the faint scratching you hear when they rub hairs off the abdomen but it's nothing at all like when a T stridulates.

Phil

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i also think that someone posted that their G.rosea did the same thing.

peace
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm sorry, but a snake hissing is far, FAR more intimidating to me than a T hissing. :)

someone i know has this gorgeous tiger rat and it goes just CRAZY and hates him. of course, i would too because he harassed it when i was there just to see it coil up, hiss and rattle like hell. :/

people really get on my nerves sometimes.

beautiful snake though...i sincerely hope it tags him like hell. several times. :D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
i also think that someone posted that their G.rosea did the same thing.

peace
dave
Again, it's doubtful. Not doubtful that someone said that but doubtful a rosie hissed. I don't believe any new world T's stridulate do they? I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Atrax

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Again, it's doubtful. Not doubtful that someone said that but doubtful a rosie hissed. I don't believe any new world T's stridulate do they? I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Atrax

Sure do. Page 91 of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide lists Theraphosa blondi, as well as Grammostola rosea (called Phrixotrichus spatulata in the book as it pre-dates the changing of that genus name back to Grammostola and the synonymy of G. spatulata w/G. rosea). Also, it notes that members of the genus Brachypelma are capable of producing a stridulation-like sound that may be related to mating/courtship but which is not produced using the structures on the palps and chelicerae that are associated with actual stridulation.

Adrian

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, I knew that! I don't know what the hell I was thinkin'! It's too damn late for me to be reading this stuff ;) and sure as hell too late for me to be replying.

Thansk for the info though. :)

Atrax

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So then the B.albo/B.smithi/G.rosea's WERE capabale of making a sound that someone could hear as "stridulating" then, eh? Maybe not with the same structures, but someone not looking at them straight on (without a good close-up lens) would hear it as stridulating, then?

and atrax/phillip -- its cool -- everyone makes mistakes either REALLLY late at night or REALLLLY early in the morning ;)
nice.
go figure

peace
dave

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wrote last week that my B.smithi hissed at me. Definitely hissed. I have never heard a T hiss before so have no other sound to compare it to, but he was the only T in the room and I was trying to rearrange his tank to encourage a bit of burrowing (he's lazy). He hissed at me and has been a very aggressive boy since I got him.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Grael,
True, hissing from a snake will scare most people sh!tless..But, that's precisely why they do it..They'd rather scare you away, then strike. (although, there are some that won't hesitate to strike)

As for hissing t's...I have a T. blondi. When she "hisses", it sounds more like very fine sandpaper being rubbed together, amplified through a mic and speaker. Still, the first time I heard it, it did give me pause. :)
Peace,
Gillian

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard my Hysterocrates hercules stridulate and also my Citharschius crawshayi. I know Theraphosa blondi are supposed to do this too, but mine is not all that aggressive and have never heard this from her.

Andy

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
made a mistake?

I think not. Not that I haven't done so before but what I pointed out is that smithi and rosies don't stridulate. And guess what they don't. The sound it makes when they scrape off hairs could be mistaken by some as hissing but it is far from the same. I would have thought that someone who has supposedly had Ts in the family from back in the 60s would have known that one Dave. :) Guess I was mistaken. lol

Phil

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suppose you were mistaken too.. but you can't know everything right (the general 'you')

Something i've learned man (and its always good to know), We ALL make mistakes and it's always good to be open to learning.. no-one knows everything right?

I am constantly learning new stuff on this board, YES, even from a guy who's been raised around Ts all his life! YES even my parents don't know everything! It's always good to be open to learning more! Man, I'm sure even arachnologists in the top of their fields are always learning stuff... never close your mind to new ideas..

and si_sleaf -- is your T sexually mature? Are you getting ready to mate it?

pce
dave

Last edited: