Can T.s Hiss?

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
So then the B.albo/B.smithi/G.rosea's WERE capabale of making a sound that someone could hear as "stridulating" then, eh? Maybe not with the same structures, but someone not looking at them straight on (without a good close-up lens) would hear it as stridulating, then?

I used to have a Tarantula (never figured out what it was, see this thread
http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8350 ) and when he'd get really stressed out, he'd move his body up and down really fast (not low enough to hit the ground) and it would make a sound that I could hear about 5 feet away.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you ever send the body off?

peace,
dave
No, it died about a year before I started that thread. But I know where they can be found in the wild, I will try to catch one for you this summer :cool:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah sweet :)

that would be pretty cool!

I'll have to send you some mighty cool 'fresh-out-of-the-eggsac" slings, since ive decided instead of buying off dealers, and since i do enough breeding myself and breeding loans with people from here, that i can satiate my need with that.. although i'll probably never turn down one of Art Cerda's T's ... beautiful T's he's got!

so you never found out EXACTLY what the T was?

peace
dave

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah sweet :)

that would be pretty cool!

I'll have to send you some mighty cool 'fresh-out-of-the-eggsac" slings, since ive decided instead of buying off dealers, and since i do enough breeding myself and breeding loans with people from here, that i can satiate my need with that.. although i'll probably never turn down one of Art Cerda's T's ... beautiful T's he's got!

so you never found out EXACTLY what the T was?

peace
dave
They're basically known as Desert tarantulas,
http://www.sandimascanyon.net/insecttarantula.html
I haven't figured out their scientific name yet, maybe Aphonopelma chalcodes ?

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still confused here...

I'm still failing to see where stridulating and some other sounds being made are the same. What this comes down to pretty much is someone getting confused and others such as yourself adding to the confusion by thinking that they know what they're talking about.

Also I hate to have to call ya out on this one but with the you've done so much T breeding statement.... where exactly is the proof of this? I don't see any of your slings for sale and I have yet to see any pics from you of succesful hatches. You see there is a huge difference between getting Ts to mate and producing babies. Anyone can get them to hook up but that is not a succesful breeding.

I truly hate to get into this type of discussion with folks but here's my problem with it. You continue to post advice about all these questions yet it's still questionable where you got your knowledge on thwe subject from or for that matter if you even have any knowledge on the subject. Anyone can make up a story about how they've been keeping them for 20 years heck you certainly wouldn't be the 1st to go that route but you see having a rose hair back when you were a kid doesn't qualify you as an expert in the field. I just grow really tired of seeing wannabe T gurus talking constantly about what they know when quite often they are wrong.

Phil

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Phillip.. well, ill behonest....i just joined up.. a MONTH ago... probably why you haven't seen any eggsacs :) Seriously man, i really joined up in April.. its May now... you tell me why you haven't seen any eggsacs in a month....

It is difficult to breed T's that's for sure. Maybe not an usumbara, but sometimes the females just arent having it. I had that problem 2 weeks ago with a rosea ring i'm trying to start.. i think i posted pics of it. it was horrible.. i had to snag him out real quick. I think my male's had it though.. looking worse and worse every day.... And i'm also going in on a few breeding loans pretty soon with people off this board (nixy? Jeff?), and off the Minnesota Herp Board (Yes, you can go there if you need to prove it to yourself, i don't mind).

I just don't sit here and make crap up. If i wanted to waste time i could think of some other ways i'd wanna waste it (preferably with a nice girl) ;P

now you put 2 and 2 together, ok?
and its cool man, either you beleive the advice you get on here or not. Now if it was a situation where i've been a year or so and you still didnt see any eggsac pics, then i might go with you (though i must say, not that you even need to prove yourself,since many people here post eggsac threads without pics, but if you really need proof, its ok man). But ive been here a month!

I don't mind if its just you questioning it or if its everyone. I'm, um, still going to post it what i know!

And thats the beauty of these guys.. some people do this as a hobby..some people do this as a job, some people do this as school-time.. but we've all found our little ways of dealing with these buggers, whether im a hobbyist or a dealer.. and i can still dole that advice out, right brother? Either believe me at my words, or youre don't. whichever one you need to go with. Thats my belief and i'll respect anyone who has a belief too.

i'dbe more than happy to continue this over PM if you want, since this post has enough T content to get by, but i suspect it wont be so in the future...

back to T's, Jesses-- How long did you have that guy before he kicked off? Where did you find him (i know IN cali, but where-- in the road? in a burrow?) Did you see any other ones near him?

you snagged him in the middle of tryin to find himself a piece :)

later
dave

Last edited:

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

back to T's, Jesses-- How long did you have that guy before he kicked off? Where did you find him (i know IN cali, but where-- in the road? in a burrow?) Did you see any other ones near him?

you snagged him in the middle of tryin to find himself a piece :)

later
dave
I used to have a co-worker who lived in the mountain area of Central California, in the O'Neals/Friant/Prather area. She says that in the summer, these Tarantulas are all over the sides of her house, so she caught about 5 of them and brought them into the office and gave them to people.

Mine was the only one that lasted more than a month, I think he made it about 8 months total.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So then the B.albo/B.smithi/G.rosea's WERE capabale of making a sound that someone could hear as "stridulating" then, eh?

Well, for g. rosea, it isn't "like" stridulating, it is stridulating. For the Brachys, that would seem to be the case though, a kind of rasping noise often accompanied by shaking/vibrating the entire body. Brachys, as noted, do not possess actual stridulating organs and so do not stridulate.

Adrian

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whoa, she just came in and started doling out t's like they were cans of pop??

did everyone elses die about the same time? Were they all males?

yes, the abdomen did like kind of odd -- did it have a dent in it?
did it stridulate, or, rather "seem" to stridulate?

peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice adrian..

my whole thing was "someone who didn't know that could mistake that as stridulating" right?

and thats cool, phillip, you go ahead and believe what you want to and say what you need to...Again, it just speaks more about you than me!

again, moving back to T's, I've never heard my brachys or roseas do that though! interesting. I also recently learned that Pholcidae spiders (american "daddy long legs") don't have the famed title of being "the most venomous spider but they're too small to bite" .. goes to show you learn something new everyday! :)

now i wonder who recently posted about their rosea stridulating?
by the by, My "experience" comes from the same place as, well, probably 90% of the other folks on this board -- from the hobby (including research and herp shows of course!).

peace
dave

Last edited:

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice adrian..

my whole thing was "someone who didn't know that could mistake that as stridulating" right?

I was just answering the question you posed and seperating the rosea from the Brachys; I know what you meant regarding the Brachys' similar noise.

Adrian

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice! :)

I would be surprised if i walked in and any of my brachy's stridulated...

theyre very sedentary... as seems to be the case sometimes.

alright
peace
dave

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
i also think that someone posted that their G.rosea did the same thing.

peace
dave
Dave,
That would be me. Courtesy of my demon bi!tch Audra. She's quite ready to strike, also. :)
Peace,
Gililian

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ah yes, the lovely agressive roseas...

2 of mine just molted... i wonder how their disposition is now.
got some beautiful colours in em though!

any pics of your T gillian?!

and skadi, its true. I don't mind the small little quibbles, as long as there is SOME amount of T content. Not everyone's going to agree with everyone else, and you can def. post that on the board.. but once a post has absolutely NO T content, then its pure PM. Like i said, there's obviously going to be an amount of quibbling with us, especially on controversial topics... that's alright, i think we're allowed a slight level of that, and I think the Moderators are really good about catching the renegade posts... they've got quite a bit of info to sift through everyday (haha, just the amout of posts from you and me skadi, you've gotta admit! ;P)

RugbyDave wrote:
i'd be more than happy to continue this over PM if you want, since this post has enough T content to get by, but i suspect it wont be so in the future...
there's my point.. i don't mind it, as long as there's some T content and its not just someone being negative and jaded. Then we can make the transition to the PM.... And I will admit it, I just re-read the list rules, so, as for me, i got my little slap on the wrist, but I'm back on track =D

and id love more pics of the evil rosea gillian :) !

peace,
dave

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whoa, she just came in and started doling out t's like they were cans of pop??

did everyone elses die about the same time? Were they all males?

yes, the abdomen did like kind of odd -- did it have a dent in it?
did it stridulate, or, rather "seem" to stridulate?

Yah she just came in and handed them out. Apparantly these guys are very plentiful in the mountains in O'neals, they can be seen crossing the streets in groups, and also climbing up the sides of houses.

The abdomen wasn't dented, these guys are serious hair flickers, probably flicked so many hairs that his abdomen was mostly bare.

The noise that they make, I wouldn't consider it stridulating, its more like they move their entire body up and down so fast that it makes a quiet buzzing sound

Freelancer

Arachnopeon
On the subject of noises, do T's chirp? A professor of mine told me that some people in South America have a word for tarantula that means "baby chicken," precisely because they chirp. Anyone know if that's true? (I'm a complete newbie, so please forgive the dumb question! ;) )

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey freelancer --

welcome to the boards :)

its not a dumb question.. Most people here won't ride your butt for asking a question like that.. some will, but the majority of us are cool like that.

to answer it, i don't know... someone who's done some studies down there may know, and even if not, there are alot of T's still undiscovered, so who knows.. there may be some crazy chirping-morph T :)

but i really don't know, so...
go figure :)

welcome again!
what Ts do you have (if any?)
peace
dave

Freelancer

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the welcome, Dave. :) I was given a rosie a few weeks ago by a woman who absolutely abhors spiders but knows that I've always wanted one. What a friend. ;) I'll post some pics of Chuck 1) when I get them developed or 2) when I get a digital camera.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice man!!!

im telling you, before you know it, you'll have 4 Ts... mark my words... you may not agree with me now, but i'll be looking forward to your "I just got 3 slings off of Art today, they're amazing!" post in about 2 months :)

talk to skadi about that one.. though she used swifty.. they're both great!

do you know if its a male or not? is it an adult (4 or 5 inches?)

again, welcome!
peace
dave