Burrowing T that lives in groups

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW!!!

;P ;P :? Hey,, i want 5 of those!!!! where do you get them???? hehehe!!! Number 1 priority!!!! LOL!!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Have you not experienced any canabalism? Is your sex ratio getting skewed?

Cheers,
Dave

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
What species is that?

I want to know everything about that :) Including if that was photoshoped ;) I've just NEVER seen that many spiders in one place without them often eatting each other.

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I have to say that I'm leaning towards the photoshopped idea. Something just doesn't look right about that picture.....

Scott

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Stumped!!!

Well i dont know about you,, but my goliaths have been living together for some time now and nither one are trying to kill each other and they share there house and food and the whole cage and dont fight... so you tell me are they wierd or what??? And ive never lost a male due to breeding or anything else to that affect.. so i dont know why people have so many probs with there Ts at breeding time...maybe i just have a green thumb for the Ts .. hehehe!!!! ;P ;P =D :?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by mrderanged
I have to say that I'm leaning towards the photoshopped idea. Something just doesn't look right about that picture.....

Scott
Well, there are a few things that don't look right. Firstly, the scale. if that is a 10" mother then that is a huge enclosure. Also, they seem to be radiating from a central point and are arranged almost geometricaly. Also, there's fading in certain areas of the stubstrate where one would have to blend in your layers in photoshop.

That being said, it may just be a really lucky picture of an incredibly well-fed group of spiders. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fake???

:} ;P :? Well, even if that pic is fake,, which i dont know i wana know why my full grown goliaths are living together with no probs??? And if i get the chance im gona see who else will live together with no probs... For some reason I just dont have the probs other people do with there Ts.. I really wonder why???? ;P :confused:

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Nobody said that they were in an enclosure, they are wild. They belong to the genus Pamphobeteus. So far, only the british have made a study of it.

Also, i dont know how you lot keep your spiders, but bearacuda is correct. Any spider can be kept communually if done correctly, i wouldnt recommend beginners to try this though.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pics

Bearacuda41, id love to see some pics of your fullgrown goliaths living together, i think it would be awesome to see the enclosure you keep them in and to see them in the same picture which i have never seen before.

Mark

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Proof

=D ;P ;P well, because i dont have a camera and no way to get these pics up if i did im trying to get 2 people from these forums to come here and see for there selfs that they are indeed living together and i do have alot of people that have been here enough to prove they are for real... ;P :D

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Having worked professionally in Photoshop, CorelDraw, Photopaint, etc etc for many many years now, I can say that I strongly believe that photo has been shopped. A very good job of it, but a shop job none the less. Take note that almost all the spiderlings legs are in the exact same positions, the shadown on the spiderling that is to the right on the white bark isn't right, I think a lot of cut, paste, skew, perspective, blur, etc. I'll be the first to eat crow if it can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the photo is authentic. No offense intend King_Looney.

Gail

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'll offer another mostly professional opinion, it was photoshopped...
awsome picture though

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Re: Fake???

Originally posted by Bearacuda41
i wana know why my full grown goliaths are living together with no probs???
Just because animals are canabalistic by nature doesn't mean they HAVE to eat each other. You can take highly canabalistic species and if they are well fed and about the same size, you won't necessarily run into trouble -- at least not right away. You should realize, though, that you ARE running the risk of loosing one or the other at some point. In fact, unless you are extremely lucky, I would guess that you are more likely than not to loose one to canabalism before you will to age.

Cheers,
Dave

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well Dave!!!!!

;P ;P Dave ,,, I hate to burst your thinking but sorry they are not gona eat each other or anything for that matter as the only one that will pass away will be the male from old age and i only feed these 2 twice a week so they are not over fed.. I know my Ts very well and i know what im doing... ;P ;P =D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Ah yes, I was still in a scorpion mindset (both males and females of some species can last for twenty after reaching maturity, though 4-5 is more common). It is actualy possible your male will pass first due to their short lifespan. The main point remains, however. You may have a handle on the situation. You may have two Ts that will cohabitate for the rest of the male's life. You still, however, have two canabalistic individuals who could easily kill each other should the right combonation of neurons ever fire.

You do not have social insects. You don't even have a more communal species of spider (from my understanding), but nor do you have one of the least communal species. Knowing your Ts well is important, but in the end you can not fully account for every factor affecting them. T's will react very predictably given a set of stimuli. You can't, however, control the vector of the wind given off when a prey cricket flicks its leg.

So don't be too dissapointed should one eat the other. Also, you may very well expect the male to have his life shortened, if only briefly, should he start to look like an easy meal.

Cheers,
Dave

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok Mr. Know It All!!!

Well i got news for you i know whats gona happen and yes the male will end up dieing from his pass due deed and no you dont know what im talking about as for me im alittle smarter than you think..... so if you need to think for some unknown reason you need to pick on me then e-mail me and we will get this going!!!!!!!! ;P ;P ;P

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not attempting to "pick on you" or any such thing. You wanted to know why your Ts weren't eating each other wheras other people's have. I informed you that it was partialy a matter of luck and that you were taking a chance. I'm not saying its not a chance worth taking -- my Tamara and I will shortly be puting two of our P.regalis together.

In short, the point I have been trying to make is that it isn't that your spiders won't eat each other -- it is just a case that they haven't.

Cheers,
Dave