Burrowing T that lives in groups

rodney

Arachnopeon
chicken

K.L. I DID READ THE WEBSITE, AND ALSO CHECKED OUT BTS I FIND THIS VERY INTERESTING.IF YOU COME ACROSS MORE IMFO. PLEASE SHARE IT. I'M GOING TO SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT ABOUT THIS NEAT LITTLE DISCOVERY. I'LL SAVE MY OPINIONS TIL I KNOW MORE. RODDERS

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
oops, should have checked HER profile - sorry, no gender offense intended :8o

Gail

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Over 800 species of Theraphosid have been discovered, there could be just as many waiting for people to discover them. To discount the fact that none of them can live socially is just ignorant. So always keep an open mind, no matter how much we know, we can never know it all.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Looey,

There is a big difference between deeming something impossible and remaining skeptical until further evidence is brought forward.

I will ask you a question you have asked of us. Have YOU read all of the information available? Because I've read the various web sites and I did a journal search today and all that I have been able to come up with is that there MAY be a theraphosid that shows an UNKNOWN degree of something which MIGHT be taken as social behaviour and that I have been unable to find anything truly scientific that has been written about it.

So I'll keep an open mind. Instead of saying that no theraphosids are social I will say that there is a theory that one species has developed some degree of sociability but that it is far from being proven.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Did we ever discover if this was legit or not? I'm still slightly curious.

-Bryan

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Guys,

freaky discussion here, because, it's known since 13 Years now, that Tarantulas can live together with several subadults in one burrow*.Whether this can be defined as "social behavior" is indeed doubtful. BTW, the tarantula lives together with some Frogs (see below) without eating them, but she eats definitely other frogs!Concerning the "social behavior" (citation from the below mentioned article):"Spiders in this burrow, an adult female (approximately 6,5 cm from front of Cephalothorax to rear of Abdomen) and 5 young (3,0 - 3,5 cm), usually emerged from 17:00 to 19:00 (Fig. 1)..."! A friend of mine made a dissertation about the "Ecology of Megaphobema robustum" and he observed that there was a Pamphobeteus Species which lived in burrows in a forest near of "his" observed Megaphobema collony, and in which he also could find a lot of differend sized subadults and adults.
Just for information!;)

Cheers, Volker

* Cocroft, R. & Hambler,K (1989):Observations on a Commensal Relationship of the Microhylid Frog Chiasmocleis ventrimaculata and the Burrowing Theraphosid Spider Xenesthis immanis in Southeastern Peru. Biotropica 21 (1),pp. 2 - 8

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well the amount.

Hi all.

I don't doubt either that there might be T's with social "behavior".

But, but , the amounts in this pic: 10 juvenils and some small 5 s'lings and having the same behavior, emerging, especially the really small ones with the bigger ones,,but what the heck I'm just a rookie...:D

Kenny

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shadows....

Hi again..

Then I can't make some of the shadows of the legs and angles compared with plants make sense after some looking and so on....

I mean I've been working at a theater and I do have a stage-light tech-education and shadows follow certain rules of angle..:?

Kenny

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not disagreeing with the fact that spiders can live communally and i am not here to take stabs at anybody. I amjust here to say that the photo that srted this whole debacle is defintely photoshopped. I sent it to two graphic design professors at my university through email and at one look both told me it was a fake and both know nothing of tarantulas so they didnt have the whole "Can spiders live communally?" skew on their perspective. It looks fake. I am not saying this to discredit any argument. That photo is fake. Maybe that spider can live communally but it doesnt mean that photo is real which it is not. Even the big spider was pasted onto the photo.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dun dun dunnnn

:eek: next youll be telling me that the moon landings were faked , that micheal knights car kitt wasnt real and that rock hudson wasnt a ladies man lol:)