Black Mexican tarantula?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hey, I didn't make the maps, I'm just as confused as you are. I think Mexico should be part of central, you think central is a lie, somebody probably thinks the whole thing is a conspiracy. My original point is, hentzi lives in arkansas. Thats a bit of a drive to mexico for a spider in my opinion.
Hentzis actually do live in Texas. Their common name is the Texas Brown, after all.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The biggest problem ive quickly discovered with common names: it all depends on where you're from.
Yeah that's why we dont use 'em. Also I don't think that website has the correct picture. That's not even a hentzi in the photo :O

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Damn...I need to visit my home town and see for myself...Too bad it's pretty much controlled by the cartel :(
Your beautiful country went down the drain so hard...
The power the cartels have, over everyone, is beyond measure and beyond good and evil.
I'd be terrified every day, honestly.

You have my sympathies!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
To the common man, a wolf spider looks identical to a tarantula. Most people think that any large spider is a tarantula. They may have just seen a common large wolf spider.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
hentzi has a rather large range, extending as far west as southwestern New Mexico (near the AZ/NM border), north to southeastern Colorado and central Kansas and Missouri, as far east as the Mississippi River in Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana, and covering much of Oklahoma and Texas (as far south as the Rio Grande). the recent revision of Aphonopelma has a good map of where hentzi was collected:

http://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=6264

Keep in mind that the revision only covers Aphonopelma in the US, so maybe it does go that far south. anax is another possibility, considering that males are a bit darker and their range is centered near the Rio Grande (again from the maps in the revision article from last year).

Oh, and Mexico is part of the North American continent. As is Guatemala, and Panama. Sorry, they are not on some other, separate continent. Mexico is ALSO part of central America. Not a continent though.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Oh, and Mexico is part of the North American continent. As is Guatemala, and Panama. Sorry, they are not on some other, separate continent. Mexico is ALSO part of central America. Not a continent though.
I knew that they were the same CONTINENT. But calling them the same thing, according to what i learned the other day, is incorrect. North, central, and south america are all seperately labeled on maps was what i was getting at. And, interestingly, and much to my confusion, Mexico ISNT labeled as central america on maps but NORTH. Weird as all getout considering how different the rest of the north american section of the continent is compared to mexico.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Can confirm. I have seen a Hentzi at a nature preserve in Plano, Texas.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Your beautiful country went down the drain so hard...
The power the cartels have, over everyone, is beyond measure and beyond good and evil.
I'd be terrified every day, honestly.

You have my sympathies!
Thank you :) I honestly fear visiting but my grandparents are just so intent on having me come back. It doesn't help that I have a strong suspicion the place has an apparition...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Doesn't exists a "North American continent". Exist the American continent, and obviously Mexico is part of that, just like Canada and Argentina are as well.

Geographically (so not politically etc) only speaking, Mexico is Central America. Those are 'area' definitions: just like Middle East, Benelux (today mostly used in the 'economic' meaning only), Mitteleuropa, Australasia etc

I'm a pundit, I know best :kiss: :troll:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Just as Africa, Asia, and Europe are one continent, right?
I never said that :-s

North America isn't a continent, but a geographic area. America is the continent. I stick to the 5 continent 'theory' and those continents, as you know, are:
Africa, America, Asia, Europe, Oceania u_u

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
You didn't, but if you believe that North and South America are one continent, then logically Europe-Asia-Africa are one continent as well given that the land bridge between Eurasia and Africa is about the same size as the one connecting North and South America. Let's not get into the fact that just 15,000 years ago, there was an even larger land bridge connecting Europe-Asia-Africa and the American continent, making one big super continent.

I would bring up continental plates, but that opens up even bigger can of worms (parts of California being part of the Pacific plate, parts of Siberia being part of the North American plate, Asia being several different plates none of which are Europe, etc). What is or is not a continent is, like many things, reflective of ones world view (hence my strong dislike of the idea that Mexico or other parts of Central America are not part of North America).

Nat

Arachnopeon
My parents keep telling me about tarantulas they saw when we lived in Nuevo León In Monterrey, Mexico. They say that they were a solid black color. I know that doesn't do much in terms of identification but I was hoping you guys could help narrow it down. I was thinking G. Pulchra.
I live in Monterrey and just found this Black Tarántula in my backyard. Please help to identify it. Thanks!

Attachments