Black Mexican tarantula?

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
My parents keep telling me about tarantulas they saw when we lived in Nuevo León In Monterrey, Mexico. They say that they were a solid black color. I know that doesn't do much in terms of identification but I was hoping you guys could help narrow it down. I was thinking G. Pulchra.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Brachypelma schroederi possibly. Or MM Aphonopelma sp as Bob mentions. I've read about them being black before.

G. pulchra is Brazilian, so it's probably not a match.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Would you happen to know what species are native to the aforementioned ration?
Not a clue... perhaps do your research on the World Spider Catalog? It's an invaluable resource and if you aren't registered yet, I highly recommend it.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Damn...I need to visit my home town and see for myself...Too bad it's pretty much controlled by the cartel :(

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
They say that it wasn't too big. So I'm thinking a juvie or sub-adult.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Aphonopelma hentzi mature males are almost entirely black with a tan carapace.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Aphonopelma hentzi mature males are almost entirely black with a tan carapace.
Those are more north American. Unless theyre more broad-range than my research has turned up. They run around my yard in arkansas.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Those are more north American. Unless theyre more broad-range than my research has turned up. They run around my yard in arkansas.
Also, you know what's weird? I've lived in Texas my entire life and I've never seen a wild tarantula OR a wild scorpion. I guess they don't like urban areas.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Also, you know what's weird? I've lived in Texas my entire life and I've never seen a wild tarantula OR a wild scorpion. I guess they don't like urban areas.
Mexico is central america. Its tricky. But it happens. And yeah, i wouldnt really know. I live in the middle of nowhere. A. hentzi and texas tree bark scorpions are pretty common. Dont know the scientific names for scorpions.
Edit: fact checked myself. Mexico is in fact part of north america. Whoops!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Mexico is central america. Its tricky. But it happens. And yeah, i wouldnt really know. I live in the middle of nowhere. A. hentzi and texas tree bark scorpions are pretty common. Dont know the scientific names for scorpions.
Edit: fact checked myself. Mexico is in fact part of north america. Whoops!
Yeah, Central America is just a colloquial term XD. It's the equivalent of a common name vs scientific names.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Yeah, Central America is just a colloquial term XD. It's the equivalent of a common name vs scientific names.
Its actually everything from Guatemala all the way to Panama. Guatemala being attached to mexico is probably what confused me. This is the thing i learned today :cigar:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Its actually everything from Guatemala all the way to Panama. Guatemala being attached to mexico is probably what confused me. This is the thing i learned today :cigar:
but it's not a separate continent, it's just a thing people say. It's like how people describe areas of the U.S. by their region, like the Midwest, or the East Coast. Doesn't mean they're different countries/continents.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
but it's not a separate continent, it's just a thing people say. It's like how people describe areas of the U.S. by their region, like the Midwest, or the East Coast. Doesn't mean they're different countries/continents.
Hey, I didn't make the maps, I'm just as confused as you are. I think Mexico should be part of central, you think central is a lie, somebody probably thinks the whole thing is a conspiracy. My original point is, hentzi lives in arkansas. Thats a bit of a drive to mexico for a spider in my opinion.

cold blood

Staff member
Its too far north and east for vagans and schroederi I believe. I'd bet its one of the many species of Aphonopelma, of which identifying by "black tarantula" is impossible, because as mentioned, it describes many if not most of those species....heck, even bicoloratum MMs are basically black.