Best sling feeders..

Tony Romano

Arachnopeon
Hey guys (and gals), I have a couple of new slings, I'm new to the hobby, and was curious what the general consensus was regarding the best feeders. I have been buying banded crickets from Josh's Frogs, but I hear that Blatta Lateralis roaches are better for slings. I haven't tried this yet. I also hear some people use "pin head" crickets.

If anyone has an opinion, one way or the other, I would appreciate the input.

Regards,

Tony

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I feed crickets and mealworms to my slings, either chopped up pieces or ones small enough to feed live. The roaches are just as good though, maybe even better nutritionally.

Avoid flightless fruit flies, everything else is fine.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I use either banded crickets (yay, Josh's Frogs!) or mealworms. Always crush the head of mealworms, and if the cricket is too big, just crush or remove the head as well.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Meal worm pieces have been the best for slings under 1 inch in my experience.

Live prey is not necessary when they are that small and it saves you the worry of the prey harassing the sling.

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
My slings thrive on fruit flies. A banana in the kitchen attracts them (in Florida anyway). Nutritious and they can't harm the sling.

cold blood

Staff member
My slings thrive on fruit flies. A banana in the kitchen attracts them (in Florida anyway). Nutritious and they can't harm the sling.
Not for long....they are nutritionally deficient. Not good feeders at all.

disagree if you like, but its a proven fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
Not for long....they are nutritionally deficient. Not good feeders at all.
I don't feed "feeders". I feed wild and they are VERY nutritious. All feeder species are deficient as long term food. Wild prey is clearly the best. As long as you don't collect from a farm that sprays insecticide, you are fine. Been doing it for 35 years never lost a T to a bad molt, etc. Old age has been their only cause of mortality.

Disagree if you want, but it's a proven fact.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
@MattjediEdmonds @cold blood

is there a good thread or other source about the Flightless Fruit Flies. i have seen many times that they shouldn't be used exclusively and i am curious about the details. Personally i think they suck to work with and would rather use hatchling crickets, but i am still curious about what happens and why. Also, do you know what species is/are 'bad'?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Someone mentioned a scientific paper a little while ago where they raised true spiders on fruit flies and more traditional feeders. The ones raised on fruit flies all died, and the ones raised on the traditional feeders made it to maturity for the most part. I dont know if anyone has the paper handy though.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Whatever works, I guess. But the idea of keeping a rotting banana in your house just to attract feeders seems a bit much.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
We have one sling for two days now and a second sling in a few days, the local shop sells pinheads cheap, but the chopped mealworm sounds like a plan as well.

I was going to pick up 6 pinheads on Wednesday. I’ll buy 6 a week for the next few weeks until I can better gauge appetites.

There is frugal, and then there is cheap.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I use dubia nymphs. Crush the heads, throw them in, repeat in a few days.
As long as you don't collect from a farm that sprays insecticide, you are fine.
Actually, insects can travel great distances. Just because you don't live by a farm doesn't mean the insect in question is pesticide free. Besides, even if you don't live by a farm and the insect hasn't been near a farm, that doesn't mean it's "pesticide free." How do you know your neighbors aren't using pesticides? Your neighborhood? Your city? Small time gardeners use pesticides like no tomorrow. I'm not sure about the orange groves in Florida, but I don't imagine they're pesticide free either. Not even to mention the potential parasites that could be passed to your animals. Feeding wild caught is not a safe practice imo.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I use dubia nymphs. Crush the heads, throw them in, repeat in a few days.

Actually, insects can travel great distances. Just because you don't live by a farm doesn't mean the insect in question is pesticide free. Besides, even if you don't live by a farm and the insect hasn't been near a farm, that doesn't mean it's "pesticide free." How do you know your neighbors aren't using pesticides? Your neighborhood? Your city? Small time gardeners use pesticides like no tomorrow. I'm not sure about the orange groves in Florida, but I don't imagine they're pesticide free either. Not even to mention the potential parasites that could be passed to your animals. Feeding wild caught is not a safe practice imo.
The first household rule with our two new pets is “No wild caught insects for feeding”. I explained the reason to my wife and my two boys.

Feeding is nowhere near the greatest expense in this hobby.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
The first household rule with our two new pets is “No wild caught insects for feeding”. I explained the reason to my wife and my two boys.

I know right?? The health and safety of the animal is worth way more than the few cents it costs per feeder.

bulbophyllum

Arachnosquire