Best sling feeders..

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
It's funny to me how in the tarantula hobby, keepers pay attention to the natural history of their species to provide proper enclosures, substrate, humidity, etc., but when it comes to food.... the natural history of every species is completely ignored. 1 to 3 species of feeder are juuuuuust fine. I'll never understand it.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Tarantulas dont need a diverse diet to survive, as long as they receive the necessary nutrition. Feeding multiple different species doesnt mean you're going to have a healthier animal. You could be feeding them multiple different kinds of nutritionally deficient inverts. By that logic someone who eats at every different fast food place should be much healthier than someone who eats only potatoes because they have a more diverse diet.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
It's funny to me how in the tarantula hobby, keepers pay attention to the natural history of their species to provide proper enclosures, substrate, humidity, etc., but when it comes to food.... the natural history of every species is completely ignored. 1 to 3 species of feeder are juuuuuust fine. I'll never understand it.
Link some reliable sources saying that tarantulas benefit more from a varied diet opposed to a fixed one. Don't just complain about our practices... Explain and prove why they're wrong if you truly believe so. Show us studies, statistics, reliable sources.... I'm sure myself and others would be more than glad to change our practices if there was reliable scientific evidence proving that a varied diet leads to a healthier, long lived specimen.

cold blood

Staff member
It's funny to me how in the tarantula hobby, keepers pay attention to the natural history of their species to provide proper enclosures, substrate, humidity, etc
Actually that's not the case at all. As its impossible to replicate a natural environment, so we don't, in fact we urge new keepers not to do this....substrates can also be greatly varied as there are many that work, as well as many combinations...sub is pretty much a non issue as long as it doesn't contain pesticides, fertilizers and will hold up to burrowing. And humidity, well, these are spiders we are talking about, not amphibians, measuring humidity is pointless and something we constantly tell new keepers not to pay attention to. Any t can be kept in any humidity, those that require moisture content, merely need damp substrate, one's ambient humidity merely dictates how much water is added to the sub as well as how often.

the natural history of every species is completely ignored. 1 to 3 species of feeder are juuuuuust fine
Now here's another broad assumption. Many, if not most of us, do vary the diets of our spiders, even though there's not a single study that indicates it as a necessity.

For instance, I feed roaches, crickets (2 species), wax worms, meal worms (and the beetles they turn into), and super worms....so just because one feeds captive bred feeders, does NOT mean they are not feeding a varied diet.

MattjediEdmonds

Arachnosquire
OK, so you all are saying variety is not needed. Every captive raised feeder is 100% nutritionally complete and all species are identical. Cool. Then just pick one and stick with it for the entire life of the T. Easy. Good luck with that.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Then just pick one and stick with it for the entire life of the T.
Many people do... personally I feed crickets only because i overharvested my dubia colony. After they get back to reproducing though I will be feeding only dubias.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
OK, so you all are saying variety is not needed. Every captive raised feeder is 100% nutritionally complete and all species are identical. Cool. Then just pick one and stick with it for the entire life of the T. Easy. Good luck with that.
Nice strawman you have there. Nobody said "Every captive raised feeder is 100% nutritionally complete and all species are identical."

What we are saying is that there are feeder insects that have been used successfully for years. To the point where these feeders are considered safe and nutritious.

And yeah, there's been no indication that a varied diet is necessary. Many keepers have raised slings to adulthood with minimal or no variety in feeders.

If you have any evidence to dispute this, then I would love to see it. If not, then doesn't it make the most sense to go with the commonly-accepted conclusions?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Every captive raised feeder is 100% nutritionally complete and all species are identical.
Not one person made this claim, at this point your just being defensive and holding your hands over your ears. There were several clear responses on the topic, one right above your post speaking of various good feeders...your initial claims on FFF were simply erroneous. If you would rather bury your head in the sand and twist things like that, then your wasting everyone's time. Do you want to have a discussion? That goes two ways.

Most of us feed a varied diet, and I do believe its beneficial, but others have raised specimens from sling to adulthood on crickets alone...no issues. We have no real evidence to prove a varied diet is necessary, although we do know that fruit flies are nutrient deficient. You can't make up facts as you go along, and use them to your advantage...most of what your claiming are assumptions, nothing more. The human/spider diet comparison is a moot point, biologically were about as different as we could possibly be.

Shall I compare an elephants nutritional requirements to that of a lobster? :rolleyes:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Someone mentioned a scientific paper a little while ago where they raised true spiders on fruit flies and more traditional feeders. The ones raised on fruit flies all died, and the ones raised on the traditional feeders made it to maturity for the most part. I dont know if anyone has the paper handy though.
@boina has posted this...apparently almost all spiderlings suffered from malnutrition.
@cold blood I can't find the dang paper again
Search to the rescue!

Ok, I decided to look up scientific studies of spider nutrition and I actually found this.

The article explains that different insects have differing nutritional values. Some, like fruit flies, lack essential nutrients and a spider that is exclusively fed with those will not even reach adulthood but die before from malnutrition. Other insects have higher nutritional value. The article also states that under certain circumstances a spider may do better with a varied diet to balance out her nutritional needs.