Best Psalmopoeus for a beginner keeper (poll)

What is the best Psalmo sp. for a new keeper?

• P. ecclesiasticus (Ecuadorian Olive-Gray)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lindale450

Arachnopeon
I do
Maybe a Heterothele villosella or Heterothele gabonensis are T's you can consider, these are small tarantulas from Africa and are normally very docile.
I don’t think he wants an old world. Or a dwarf, I just recommended a inci as a bridge to the Psalmopoeus he wants, because they’re small but very fast. Heterothele are definitely awesome little spiders though

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I do

I don’t think he wants an old world. Or a dwarf, I just recommended a inci as a bridge to the Psalmopoeus he wants, because they’re small but very fast. Heterothele are definitely awesome little spiders though
No I'll consider it. I could go for a speedy little dwarf NW or a fairly calm relaxed old world. I just wanna stay away from real feisty old worlds with powerful venom (not powerful enough to kill you obviously, but can potentially lead to an ER visit) like H. macs, S. cals, OBTs & Pokies. I'd totally consider something like a C. darlingi/marshalli, H. pulchripes, M. balfouri or A. ezendami. Good "beginner" OW. Would also consider something like the N. incei you mentioned. They seem pretty cool. It's just that Psalmos are the ones I'm most interested in getting, mainly the cambridgei.

jay444

Arachnosquire
I do

I see my H. Gabonensis no more than a couple times a year. Very reclusive genus when housed properly.

dman13760

Arachnosquire
my first and only psalmopeous is a victori. Definitely my most definsive T; as a 1" sling, it climbed to the top of its dram vial and gave me a threat a pose as I was watering.....pretty funny. It was always out and about but since it's last molt (it's probably about 4-4.5" now) it's been a total recluse. They are beautiful though!

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Would also consider something like the N. incei
You defo should. N. incei was a T that I never wanted (I like big NW's), but I got one as an unexpected freebie and it quickly became one of my fav T's; Huge webbers, strong feeding response, easy to keep, small (so don't take up much space) great patterning & colors... can't go wrong with these guys, they are criminally overlooked by many IMO (myself being one of the people who looked past them lol). They are very quick though, will disappear on you in the blink of an eye!

image_50742529.JPG

Last edited:

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
You defo should. N. incei was a T that I never wanted (I like big NW's), but I got one as an unexpected freebie and it quickly became one of my fav T's; Huge webbers, strong feeding response, easy to keep, small (so don't take up much space) great patterning & colors... can't go wrong with these guys, they are criminally overlooked by many IMO (myself being one of the people who looked past them lol). They are very quick though, will disappear on you in the blink of an eye!

View attachment 438256
The one dealer I'm considering buying from has N. incei olive 1.5" unsexed for $35. I was thinking of going for 2 P. cams 1.25"-1.5" unsexed for $30 and then a P. reduncus 1"-1.5" unsexed for $35 but I could get the N. incei instead of the P. reduncus if I felt like it. I might. I want at least 3 slings cause I wanna increase my chances of ending up with at least one female.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Or maybe you can buy a Tapinauchenius.

Perhaps. I think I may have heard, and I may be wrong on this, that they can be even faster and more skittish than the Psalmos. A. germani was one of the ones I had thought about and I know they used to be Tapinauchenius. On the one site I've been looking at in the description they added "Comments: Very pretty Orange, lighting fast species". I'll definitely be sure to watch that video though. Thank you.

Pillenslikker

Arachnopeon
Perhaps. I think I may have heard, and I may be wrong on this, that they can be even faster and more skittish than the Psalmos. A. germani was one of the ones I had thought about and I know they used to be Tapinauchenius. On the one site I've been looking at in the description they added "Comments: Very pretty Orange, lighting fast species". I'll definitely be sure to watch that video though. Thank you.
A. germanis are real teleporters, the fastes T's i ever had, compared to them my Psalmopoeus Reduncus is like a snail.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
A. germanis are real teleporters, the fastes T's i ever had, compared to them my Psalmopoeus Reduncus is like a snail.
The speed difference didn't really hit home for me until I went through some of my feeding time videos frame by frame. Same size sling, same size cricket, same distance for the pounce...G. pulchra: 5 frames. P. irminia: ...more than 1 but less than 2?

Last edited:

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Looks like the P. cambridgei is gonna win this poll by a pretty wide margin. I know I want 2 P. cam slings, that's for sure, but I also want a third T and the question is whether I want a 3rd P. cam sling, a P. reduncus, a P. irminia, an N. incei or a C. darlingi. Currently leaning P. reduncus.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Well, poll ends in a day and it looks like the P. cam has this one locked down unless things drastically change in less that 24 hrs.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
The one dealer I'm considering buying from has N. incei olive 1.5" unsexed for $35. I was thinking of going for 2 P. cams 1.25"-1.5" unsexed for $30 and then a P. reduncus 1"-1.5" unsexed for $35 but I could get the N. incei instead of the P. reduncus if I felt like it. I might. I want at least 3 slings cause I wanna increase my chances of ending up with at least one female.
I generally get 3-5 of any species I buy so I can guarantee at least 1 female

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I generally get 3-5 of any species I buy so I can guarantee at least 1 female
I think that makes sense. I might go 3 P. cam slings or 2 P. cam 1 reduncus. Hopefully at the very least I'll end up w/ a female reduncus that way. Could also just get an AF P. cam, still thinking about it. Messaged the one guy asking about the temperament of the one he has in stock but haven't received a reply yet. If it's a calm one than maybe. Probably won't get an irminia sling since they sound like the least beginner friendly Psalmo, despite their beauty.