Best Psalmopoeus for a beginner keeper (poll)

What is the best Psalmo sp. for a new keeper?

• P. ecclesiasticus (Ecuadorian Olive-Gray)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
What Psalmopoeus species do you think would be best for a beginner keeper and why? Or do you think all Psalmos should be classified as intermediate-advanced? I've asked around about a few different Ts I should consider getting by now on this forum, mostly terrestrial NW, but am now very interested in the thought of owning a Psalmo and think they're super cool, even though I know they're fast, skittish & sometimes even defensive arboreals. The one I'm most heavily leaning towards would be the P. cambridgei because they're the biggest (I think), are generally a bit calmer & stay out in the open more than P. irminia (which I know are supposedly on the feistier & more elusive end of the Psalmopoeus spectrum), grow fast, are great eaters, and have nice green tones to them. That being the case, I am interested in hearing what other Psalmos may be suitable for a newbie keeper or if I should just steer clear from Psalmos as a whole. Thanks.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
..of course Psalmopoeus langenbucheri. They are tiny and robust!
Haven't heard of that one before. Will have to look into it. The 6 named options were all the ones included in Tom Moran's video "Psalmopoeus Genus Review and Care".

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
P. cambridgei. Great eaters, fast growers, get to an impressive size, beautiful coloration, and inexpensive. IMG_20211002_233922421~2.jpg

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I had thought the P. irminia was the best looking, but the P. cambridgei is very quickly growing on me and sounds like it'd probably be easier to manage for a beginner.
Take the one you like most! Psalmopoeus are my absolute favorites. Irminia is also brilliant. You won't see any Psalmopoeus often... But when they come out you can enjoy it even more!

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Take the one you like most! Psalmopoeus are my absolute favorites. Irminia is also brilliant. You won't see any Psalmopoeus often... But when they come out you can enjoy it even more!
I intend to give it a 12x12x15 or 12x12x18 Exo Terra (once it reaches adulthood) and give it plenty of good hiding spots for an arboreal. I might pick up a few slings (3, maybe) that way I'll likely end up with at least one mature female once grown.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I intend to give it a 12x12x15 or 12x12x18 Exo Terra (once it reaches adulthood) and give it plenty of good hiding spots for an arboreal. I might pick up a few slings (3, maybe) that way I'll likely end up with at least one mature female once grown.
Those setups still exist successfully. Exos are great!

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
I voted pulcher cause its blonde & I like mine 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

jay444

Arachnosquire
I wouldn’t recommend a psalmopoeus for a beginner. However, I think P. Cam is the best one to start with for the sole reason that they are the cheapest and hardiest of the genus from my experience. I don’t find them to be calmer or slower in any ways. They’re still psalmos lol

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I wouldn’t recommend a psalmopoeus for a beginner. However, I think P. Cam is the best one to start with for the sole reason that they are the cheapest and hardiest of the genus from my experience. I don’t find them to be calmer or slower in any ways. They’re still psalmos lol
Are Psalmos really that bad temperament wise though? I mean yeah, I know they can definitely be VERY fast if startled, and have seen at least one video of it being very skittish during handling (which I do not intend to do) and have seen a short like 20 second clip on some dude's wall, but I've watched a few rehouse vids and they didn't really seem that nutty to me. I think part of it is just being careful and not startling the spider w/ constant poking and prodding or sudden jolting movements. And would it not still be better for a beginner at the very least due to having less potent venom than a Poecilotheria (even if more so than your average NW)? Sounds like a bite might kinda ruin your day (or 2) but probably won't land you in the hospital like a Pokie.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
My first Psalmopoeus was an irminia however I like my Victori a little more
I'll probably go either 3 P. cam slings or 2 P. cam slings and 1 irminia. Idk. I've heard from *most* people that irminia is more temperamental (though not really faster) and definitely more elusive (hides more). Love the coloration though. They both have gorgeous coloration in their own way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What Psalmopoeus species do you think would be best for a beginner keeper and why? Or do you think all Psalmos should be classified as intermediate-advanced? I've asked around about a few different Ts I should consider getting by now on this forum, mostly terrestrial NW, but am now very interested in the thought of owning a Psalmo and think they're super cool, even though I know they're fast, skittish & sometimes even defensive arboreals. The one I'm most heavily leaning towards would be the P. cambridgei because they're the biggest (I think), are generally a bit calmer & stay out in the open more than P. irminia (which I know are supposedly on the feistier & more elusive end of the Psalmopoeus spectrum), grow fast, are great eaters, and have nice green tones to them. That being the case, I am interested in hearing what other Psalmos may be suitable for a newbie keeper or if I should just steer clear from Psalmos as a whole. Thanks.
Not a beginner T!!

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Not a beginner T!!
Okay but why? Just cause it can be speedy and has more potent venom than your average NW? (though not as much as most OWs).

I heard they're pretty hardy too. Definitely more so than a lot of Avics.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I think Avics are terrible starter tarantulas, too much involved in setting them up properly for the beginner. Especially the slings. So long as you don’t expect an animal you can hold, and you respect the animals space and capability during your rehousing, you will be fine. My first Ts after I caught a wild female Aphonopelma, were literally Pamphos and Pokies. I did fine.