Best dwarf tarantula

bunnyhugger

Arachnopeon
I plan to get myself a tarantula for Christmas and was considering a pumpkin patch, but open to other ideas. I would like a brighter colored that isn't too difficult to observe during the day. I currently keep hissers, frogs, and feeder crickets but this would be my first arachnid. (Not counting my dog's costume).

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Most dwarf tarantulas are very reclusive and they very rarely sit out where you can see them. If you want a species who is visible most of the time - don't choose a dwarf species.
I've had lots of dwarfs and only a couple of individuals were ever out where I could see them on a regular basis.
This girl is mostly out and about - adult female Neischnocolus sp. Panama (formerly Ami). Can't guarantee every individual will be.
DSC04570-1.jpg

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
Thrixopelma cyaneolum, not very small, but still a little smaller than medium sized Ts, mine is out all the time, colors are really beautiful especially after molt and easy to keep (providing you made all necessary research beforehand, especially if it is your first T)
:)

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Reading some of the old threads I like the description of the behavior of Euathlus Red.
I really like this species, it offers a lot to the beginner. But I cannot find slings, for sale, that are greater than 1/4" or 1/3". Raising a sling that is essentially just a speck in the enclosure can be a bit daunting for a beginner.

That being said, I love this species and I hope that the breeders keep this species a live in our hobby.

Uial

Arachnosquire
I have a Neoholothele incei, she's not very visible, I see her about once every month, most of the time she's somewhere in her web castle, but she's really beautiful, with the olive and gold.

20191110_175528.jpg

Another option would be a Davus pentaloris, they are kind of rosegold/red colored. But mine is hidden all through the winter and only appears in the open during the summer months, this seems to be common behavior for them, cause I've heard the same from other keepers.

20190329_010428.jpg

bunnyhugger

Arachnopeon
I'm taking my time looking at options. Currently thinking about a larger gold kneed chaco, or a nest of ornate harvestman.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I have a Neoholothele incei, she's not very visible, I see her about once every month, most of the time she's somewhere in her web castle, but she's really beautiful, with the olive and gold.

View attachment 325617

Another option would be a Davus pentaloris, they are kind of rosegold/red colored. But mine is hidden all through the winter and only appears in the open during the summer months, this seems to be common behavior for them, cause I've heard the same from other keepers.

View attachment 325616
I second Davus pentaloris. My girl is ALWAYS out and beautiful. Makes amazing webs, maxed out about 3.5" DLS. Only downside is the amount of poop XD

bunnyhugger

Arachnopeon
Leaning towards Avicularia minatrix -- I'll set everything up and see if that's still my favorite. I know they don't stay out that much, but so cute!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Leaning towards Avicularia minatrix -- I'll set everything up and see if that's still my favorite. I know they don't stay out that much, but so cute!
Be prepared for FAST MOVES! Mine isn't "out" but she's visible. She stays in her web funnel now. A very cool species, but please be prepared for the speed and always have a catch cup ready!