Best Dwarf Species?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like Heterothele villosella. I had a well function communal of this speicies back many years ago. But they can easily be kept in their own enclosures. Very handsome tarantula with an intresting behavior and a heavy webbing capibility!

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Like some others, I don't consider smaller species to be dwarfs. I would not consider Euathlus sp. Red/Yellow, Davus pentaloris, or Euathlus parvulus 'dwarf' species. Smaller yes, dwarf no. If they get over 3", I don't call them a dwarf species.
I have/had a number of dwarf species and they are extremely reclusive. Most of them I never see and it is a shame because they are so stunning. The exception is my adult female Cyriocosmus elegans, she is out and about all the time. Males mature super fast too and I have ended up with a lot of males.
Here are the ones I have kept in order of preference. Preference is based mostly on visibility...
Neoholothele incei (F)
Cyriocosmus elegans (F)
Ami sp. Panama (F)
Ami sp. Colombia (U)
Cyriocosmus ritae (M)
Cyriocosmus leetzi (M)
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi (M)
Cyriocosmus bertae (F)
Cyriocosmus bicolor (formerly chocoi) (F)
Kochiana brunnipes (U)
In your opinion for someone who wants their first T to preferably be a dwarf, is the C elegans always fairly visible by nature? or is that just yours that exhibits that behaviour? Are they super fast like N incei? I was thinking of getting an incei but I've been told they aren't great if you're a bit arachnophobic as they are super fast, and can make cleaning their tank a bit more difficult than a slower species. Ritae, incei, and elegans are species I've managed to find in Canada, that I could get shipped. Just appreciating different people's opinions before I commit to something.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
In your opinion for someone who wants their first T to preferably be a dwarf, is the C elegans always fairly visible by nature? or is that just yours that exhibits that behaviour? Are they super fast like N incei? I was thinking of getting an incei but I've been told they aren't great if you're a bit arachnophobic as they are super fast, and can make cleaning their tank a bit more difficult than a slower species. Ritae, incei, and elegans are species I've managed to find in Canada, that I could get shipped. Just appreciating different people's opinions before I commit to something.
I’m phobic and can tell you while incei’s are fast they are awesome. I prefer the olive color form over gold but that‘s my taste. They web amazingly and often see mine out and as soon as I touch the enclosure they dive bomb into their web fortress.

Not gonna lie that the speed took some getting used to, you do get accustomed to it as you grow with the spider. Every time I open the enclosure they hide so it makes things easier to deal with. Great eaters to.

Every spider can be hell on wheels fast, that just comes with the package. Incei’s are dirt cheap and fairly hardy to live through most husbandry mistakes IMO. Short lived, so keep that in mind as well.

Moroes

Arachnopeon
I’m phobic and can tell you while incei’s are fast they are awesome. I prefer the olive color form over gold but that‘s my taste. They web amazingly and often see mine out and as soon as I touch the enclosure they dive bomb into their web fortress.

Not gonna lie that the speed took some getting used to, you do get accustomed to it as you grow with the spider. Every time I open the enclosure they hide so it makes things easier to deal with. Great eaters to.

Every spider can be hell on wheels fast, that just comes with the package. Incei’s are dirt cheap and fairly hardy to live through most husbandry mistakes IMO. Short lived, so keep that in mind as well.
Thanks. I will still consider incei. along with the C elegans as well as the C ritae. So much to choose from!

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Love my incei! Super cute! They are fast but, as Craig said, quick to hide in their heavy webbing. Despite the webbing, I can usually see mine hanging out on top of the web or in the peripheries by the glass (polycarbonate).

There is no way to clean the tank really, without destroying the webbing - which I choose not to do. I am very rarely able to remove bolus or exuvia, but have had no hygiene issues (mould, mites, or flies). I do keep one tiny corner clear for the water bowl.

I made a split level enclosure with a multi-entrance plastic cave (modified reptile cave) in the centre, dug into the embankment.

31E01B12-F372-4AFC-A265-BE84545F4BC9.jpeg

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Love my incei! Super cute! They are fast but, as Craig said, quick to hide in their heavy webbing. Despite the webbing, I can usually see mine hanging out on top of the web or in the peripheries by the glass (polycarbonate).

There is no way to clean the tank really, without destroying the webbing - which I choose not to do. I am very rarely able to remove bolus or exuvia, but have had no hygiene issues (mould, mites, or flies). I do keep one tiny corner clear for the water bowl.

I made a split level enclosure with a multi-entrance plastic cave (modified reptile cave) in the centre, dug into the embankment.

View attachment 399694
Very nice. I am so torn lol. There are SO many different tarantulas to choose from, however I refuse to own more than 1. If I get a second spider, it will be a jumping spider. Incei, the C elegans are pretty much what I'm debating between, but still researching, as I keep finding new species that people talk about.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
So far I'm loving every dwarf species I've kept.

Avicularia minatrix
Davus sp. 'Panama'
Hapalopus formosus
Neoholothele incei
Typhochaelna seladonia

Next up: Dolichothele diamantinensis

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Only have one atm, Pseudhapalopus sp blue. I have a list of ones I want.

I do love the small T's. Also saves on space a huge plus.

zsiciarz

Arachnopeon
My dwarf species at the moment, most of them are juvenile/subadult:

- Catumiri argentinense
- Cyriocosmus elegans
- Cyriocosmus leetzi
- Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
- Cyriocosmus ritae
- Hapalopus formosus
- Heterothele gabonensis
- Kochiana brunnipes
- Neischnocolus sp. Panama
- Pseudhapalopus sp. blue

There's a couple more on the wishlist, eg. Homoeomma chilensis or Crypsidromus sp. "black emilia".

kaitlynnn

Arachnopeon
I only started keeping tarantulas at the beginning of the year, but I am more drawn to the dwarf/smaller species. I think 2 of these guys aren't considered to be 'true' dwarfs.

The smaller species I currently keep are:
Sandinista lanceolatum
Cyriocosmus giganteus
Cyriocosmus aueri
Citharacanthus cyaneus

Hoping to get any of the Aphonopelma dwarfs one day and some more Cyriocosmus species! There are others, but those are my favorite genuses.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Since my start in the hobby, I've only kept ow spiders with the exception of some Avics.
The speed of some of my adult spiders is beyond insane. So how in the heck do you folks deal with a small lighting fast spider?
At this point it's not even a hobby anymore it's my life passion.

Last edited:

sparticus

Arachnoknight
Cyriocosmus elegans
- Cyriocosmus leetzi
- Cyriocosmus ritae
Out of these guys do you have a favorite? I've been looking at this genus and not sure which one I want the most. Almost went for C. elegans in my last order, but heard they can be pretty reclusive, and the vendor I went with was sold out. I do really love the looks of all of them.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Out of these guys do you have a favorite? I've been looking at this genus and not sure which one I want the most. Almost went for C. elegans in my last order, but heard they can be pretty reclusive, and the vendor I went with was sold out. I do really love the looks of all of them.
I think it really depends on the spider, I've seen some videos where keepers say they stay out a lot.
My dwarf species at the moment, most of them are juvenile/subadult:

- Catumiri argentinense
- Cyriocosmus elegans
- Cyriocosmus leetzi
- Cyriocosmus ritae
- Hapalopus formosus
- Heterothele gabonensis
- Kochiana brunnipes
- Neischnocolus sp. Panama
- Pseudhapalopus sp. blue

There's a couple more on the wishlist, eg. Homoeomma chilensis or Crypsidromus sp. "black emilia".
Nice! I heard Catumiri argentinense is like a little curly hair in terms of temperament, is that true with yours?
I only started keeping tarantulas at the beginning of the year, but I am more drawn to the dwarf/smaller species. I think 2 of these guys aren't considered to be 'true' dwarfs.

The smaller species I currently keep are:
Sandinista lanceolatum
Cyriocosmus giganteus
Cyriocosmus aueri
Citharacanthus cyaneus

Hoping to get any of the Aphonopelma dwarfs one day and some more Cyriocosmus species! There are others, but those are my favorite genuses.
The Aphonopelma dwarfs are so neat, but very few people breed them :( Hopefully that will change someday soon.

zsiciarz

Arachnopeon
Hard to pick, but I'd say ritae. The rarest of the genus here in Poland and quite a display spider. C. leetzi and perezmilesi are also often out, but they like their hides. C. elegans is in fact the most fossorial out of those. Usually all I see is a flash of legs/palps and the roach disappears.
Nice! I heard Catumiri argentinense is like a little curly hair in terms of temperament, is that true with yours?
Sort of, but less digging and no urticating hairs. I've spoken about mine in a thread here: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/thoughts-on-catumiri-argentinense.365006/#post-3373225

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Hard to pick, but I'd say ritae. The rarest of the genus here in Poland and quite a display spider. C. leetzi and perezmilesi are also often out, but they like their hides. C. elegans is in fact the most fossorial out of those. Usually all I see is a flash of legs/palps and the roach disappears.

Sort of, but less digging and no urticating hairs. I've spoken about mine in a thread here: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/thoughts-on-catumiri-argentinense.365006/#post-3373225
Oh right, I completely forgot lol.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The Aphonopelma dwarfs are so neat, but very few people breed them :( Hopefully that will change someday soon.
Maybe sooner thank you think ;). I'm hoping they don't turn out to be the size of fruit flies though.....
20231105_115115.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Wo-hoo! Good luck! Watch out for those air holes...
Lol, the eggsack will hopefully be pulled way before that's a concern. I know it's a bit of forced perspective, but those air holes are only 3.5mm if you want some kind of reference point for her size.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Lol, the eggsack will hopefully be pulled way before that's a concern. I know it's a bit of forced perspective, but those air holes are only 3.5mm if you want some kind of reference point for her size.
Oh yeah, I see what you mean