Best Dwarf Species?

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
As I've grown to appreciate dwarf tarantulas more lately, I wanted to start a thread about them. What's your favorite dwarf species and/or a dwarf species that you feel deserves more recognition?

I currently keep P. scrofa and Hapalopus sp. "Pumpkin Patch", and those two individuals are both fantastic and beautiful spiders. I definitely hope to get a Cyriocosmus elegans and a Cyriocosmus sellatus at some point, and I'm waiting to receive an already-ordered Davus pentaloris.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
As I've grown to appreciate dwarf tarantulas more lately, I wanted to start a thread about them. What's your favorite dwarf species and/or a dwarf species that you feel deserves more recognition?

I currently keep P. scrofa and Hapalopus sp. "Pumpkin Patch", and those two individual are both fantastic and beautiful spiders. I definitely hope to get a Cyriocosmus elegans and a Cyriocosmus sellatus at some point, and I'm waiting to receive an already-ordered Davus pentalore.
E. Sp. red without a doubt. I can go on and on about them. They are definitely amusing, they will just wander out of their enclosures, not in an escaping manner, it's more of a "hmmmm i wonder what i'll find over here"
I am not overstating this at all when i say this: no collection is complete without one. I will post pictures if need be.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I would highly recommend you a Dolichothele diamantinensis, mini
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Cyriocosmus leetzi is the one that always catches my eye.

I also have a Euathlus sp. red and D. pentaloris, but don't consider them to be true dwarves. Just smaller Ts.

the sith witch

Arachnopeon
Am getting more interested in dwarf tarantulas myself, simply because space in my living room is limited so getting smaller spiders = more potential spiders. I have a few already and definitely support getting a C. elegans! Mine is a mini bundle of personality, throwing threat postures at 1/6th of an inch, being very webby and visible most of the time. Would also suggest Pseudhapalopus sp Columbia/blue if you can find some, not so webby, but excavates a lot, is often visible and has a nice blue butt as they become juveniles. Both good eaters and easy to care for!
Honorable mention to my Idiothele mira for being incredibly interesting and for fastest burrow building upon a rehouse ever (seriously took her 45 minutes to make a tunnel to the bottom of her pot AND make the door) but she, of course, gets an E- along with my Ephebopus cyanognathus as far as visibility goes.
Of course, the label of "best" is subjective to one's interests, am a big fan of colorful Ts or Ts with interesting different behaviors, regardless of size. My current favorite is my C. elegans, but as I plan to get another D. diamentinensis and Theraphosinae sp. Panama this week, maybe my "best" will change :D (the C. leetzi in the catalogue is also looking at me funny...)

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I’ve been on a hunt for C. ritae for years now, I’ve come across 1 mature male, never seen them offered otherwise. Absolutely stunning little guys, I would LOVE to get my hands on some slings.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
N. incei are awesome.

View media item 46633
D. diamantinensis are also awesome.

View media item 44788
E. sp. 'Red', mine is apparently broken seeing as it actually eats, moults and grows. :rofl:

View media item 45878
Avicularia minatrix

View media item 46644View media item 45508
I did have 2 C. elegans slings but they escaped, they were pretty cool so I'll probably get another at some point.

View media item 44921View media item 44920

Cyriocosmus leetzi and Theraphosinae sp. 'Panama' are on my wishlist, the latter are stunning.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know not a true dwarf but my adult female Idiothele mira is fantastic.

Also I have an adult female Cyriocosmus ritae and she's absolutely phenomenonal. And tiny.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Asking what my favourite dwarf species is like asking which leg i like the best how does anyone expect me to choose my collection contains the following so you'll see why....
Cyriocosmus leetzi adult female (stunning but rarely seen)
Cyriocosmus sellatus adult female (a little gem)
Crypsidromus puriscal (fiesty and looks like a mini B emilia)
Cyclosternum schmardae (a grey sling at the moment)
N incei (as other members have said)
Aphonopelma sp montane (a slow growing dwarf oh joy)
E sp red adult female (everybody knows why they are great)
H triseriatus lowland ( i see your pumpkin patch and i raise you my lemon patch)
H villosella (a dwarf baboon what's not to love)
I also have 3 species I'm not sure would be classed as dwarves they are..
Thrixopelma cyaneolum adult female (stunning)
E parvulus (underrated and stunningly beautiful)
Aphonopelma gabeli (I'm not sure on adult size as mine is a juvenile and never grows)

In the past I've also raised
E sp north (i truly love this species more than any other dwarf I've kept so far, i just can't seem to find any)
D diamantensis (as others have said a mini gbb with a little attitude sometimes)
D boliviaum ( another rarer beautiful dwarf)
And finally Davus pentaloris ( strangely not that fond of this species anymore)
So you can see i like dwarf tarantulas and my favourite today won't be the same tomorrow

Last edited:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I will cast another vote for Theraphosinae sp. “Panama”..... even though its hobby name still bugs the hell out of me:shifty:

The one issue I have with mine is how much it hides. Of course, it’s still a juvi. So it pretty much comes out to eat a big meal, then burrows for WEEKS before appearing as a slightly larger spider. Still waiting to see how the personality changes as it matures. But really neat spiders!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
N. incei are awesome.

View media item 46633
D. diamantinensis are also awesome.

View media item 44788
E. sp. 'Red', mine is apparently broken seeing as it actually eats, moults and grows. :rofl:

View media item 45878
Avicularia minatrix

View media item 46644View media item 45508
I did have 2 C. elegans slings but they escaped, they were pretty cool so I'll probably get another at some point.

View media item 44921View media item 44920

Cyriocosmus leetzi and Theraphosinae sp. 'Panama' are on my wishlist, the latter are stunning.
Google keeps changing my search request to Poecilotheria bara, do you have some more info and or pics of P.baeri?

Deb60

Arachnosquire

I currently keep P. scrofa and Hapalopus sp. "Pumpkin Patch", and those two individual are both fantastic and beautiful spiders. I definitely hope to get a Cyriocosmus elegans and a Cyriocosmus sellatus at some point, and I'm waiting to receive an already-ordered Davus pentaloris.
Asking what my favourite dwarf species is like asking which leg i like the best how does anyone expect me to choose my collection contains the following so you'll see why....
Cyriocosmus leetzi adult female (stunning but rarely seen)
Cyriocosmus sellatus adult female (a little gem)
Crypsidromus puriscal (fiesty and looks like a mini B emilia)
Cyclosternum schmardae (a grey sling at the moment)
N incei (as other members have said)
Aphonopelma sp montane (a slow growing dwarf oh joy)
E sp red adult female (everybody knows why they are great)
H triseriatus lowland ( i see your pumpkin patch and i raise you my lemon patch)
H villosella (a dwarf baboon what's not to love)
I also have 3 species I'm not sure would be classed as dwarves they are..
Thrixopelma cyaneolum adult female (stunning)
E parvulus (underrated and stunningly beautiful)
Aphonopelma gabeli (I'm not sure on adult size as mine is a juvenile and never grows)

In the past I've also raised
E sp north (i truly love this species more than any other dwarf I've kept so far, i just can't seem to find any)
D diamantensis (as others have said a mini gbb with a little attitude sometimes)
D boliviaum ( another rarer beautiful dwarf)
And finally Davus pentaloris ( strangely not that fond of this species anymore)
So you can see i like dwarf tarantulas and my favourite today won't be the same tomorrow
My fav wee ones are the C Elegans ( waiting to get another one ) As mine died when moulting . I’m also a fan of the Eauthlus species sp red , yellow and blue , all have great little personalities.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
My Plesiopelma sp. Bolivia is pretty cool. Always out. Webs the surface a ton, a bit curious. Not a great eater though....wants to check out the prey first, then maybe, just maybe get it. Pretty adult colours from a very young age. Great little girl.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have a pretty good collection of dwarf t's. My favorite u already have--the pumpkin patch hap sp Columbia. A lot of people apparently confuse smaller to midsize sp with true dwarf t's.