Bad Theraphosa molt :( any advice (pics)

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theraphosa spinipes (9 inches)

I know these guys are prone to bad molts, her humidity is always 72%-95% so I dont think that could have caused it but who knows! She has completed the molt with no other problems and is now flipped over right side up. I guess all i can do now is wait and see how she turns out.. Will she be able to eat like this!? In about a week I plan to scoop her up in a large clear container and take a look at her fangs Ill post some pics then on here.

meanwhile what do you guys think? These pics are hard to look at for me blah!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was looking at her...Painfully to watch man :(.

Darn it, theres gotta be something is been doing majorly wrong with these genus ... Its ridiculously common to have problems at this sizes...Nock on wood, I have lost only one molting, but it was a month ago.

I dont know what to say, hopefully those quelicera look better in 2 or 3 days, itf they are hollow and have someshape to it they should work but..
I dont know :(.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the fast response Fran. I spent about 4 hours today watching her entire molt and got most of it on video. It was pretty hard seeing her fangs get stuck and not knowing what to do... Man I hope she will be able to eat...

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Oh man - - it sends shivers down my spine - - it certainly doesn't look good, but I hope she has some use of those fangs and I'll be watching with interest to see if she pulls through it.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am so sorry you had to go they this, really sucks. I honestly do not see those fangs being used again...until next molt. I had a GBB do this and here is what I did. I basically took B.dubia abdomens and crushed them up into basically a paste and then took a large "food injector" turned her upside down and fed her. I also got her to eat by putting the liquid on a small plate. Her fangs where almost gone and her mouth parts could lay flat on the dish.....I hope your T's fangs do not actually get in the way.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
I'm so sorry for your T.:( I really hope you can feed her without more complications.

What do you usually feed her on? Good luck with her.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Majority of the time she eats dubias, here and there superworms. Superworms are out of the question now till her fangs get better. I have my own colony of dubias so once her broken fangs harden I plan on trying to feed her a freshly molted dubia ya know the ones that are really soft and white. If she can't eat that I will try the crushed dubia cocktail as rob mentioned.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I was wondering Fran, is it the females or males that have the most molting problems? Your the expert on this genus but it seems to me it has lately been the females, I wonder if sex could be playing a part? Maybe the hormone levels are somehow off? Just a possibility.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
so what happened to your T was its fangs got stuck, did it rip it's fangs out in the process of molting or did you try to help it and this was the result? just curious

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they got stuck and while she was pulling out her right fang snapped in half, and her left fang just got stretched till it finally came loose....

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Did it have any other problems during this molt?

Did it have any problems molting during previous molts?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering Fran, is it the females or males that have the most molting problems? Your the expert on this genus but it seems to me it has lately been the females, I wonder if sex could be playing a part? Maybe the hormone levels are somehow off? Just a possibility.
Than ks for your words but Im not expert ;) .

My opinion is that WC tend to have way more problems with molts, getting aclimated, cysts...than CB individuals.
Also, the diet must play a role on this as well as the conditions we keep them on.
People tend to think "they will be fine" no matter how they are and with this sp is not the case. High humidity and high temps are a must.

Also, as is been pointed out before, when they get extremely fat (they love to eat, really easy to achive a fat Theraphosa) they seem to put on a lot of preassure on their organs, hence the weird shape abdomens and "cysts".

I dont think sex makes a difference, the only thing is that males tend to be more slender,less "fat", so that might play a role in the abdomen issues.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Thanx for that Fran, I'm not trying to be anoying I am trying to learn. I had been interested in this Genus but with the problems I have been very hesitant. I would like to ask a couple more questions.

1) This isn't a case of wet molt right since it appears to be confined to the mouth area( the pics I have seen of wet molts were affected all over)

2) The substrate in this case appears to dry, at least on top, could that have played into the results here. I only say this because the pics posted of happy adjusted members of this genus are usually kept in moister conditions. This would be a relative mute point assuming this isn't a wet molt.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanx for that Fran, I'm not trying to be anoying I am trying to learn. I had been interested in this Genus but with the problems I have been very hesitant. I would like to ask a couple more questions.

1) This isn't a case of wet molt right since it appears to be confined to the mouth area( the pics I have seen of wet molts were affected all over)

2) The substrate in this case appears to dry, at least on top, could that have played into the results here. I only say this because the pics posted of happy adjusted members of this genus are usually kept in moister conditions. This would be a relative mute point assuming this isn't a wet molt.
The substrate may appear to be dry but we have no way of knowing if the room is humidified.....My T room is at 85% humidity with condensation on the glass but in some of the vids I have someone may think the sub is dry witch means no humidity, not the case at all. In mos cases if the humidity does drop and the sub is to dry it could easily cause a molting problem. With the above case I would say it was not a humidity issue since no where else but the fangs got suck. I think the fangs did not form properly and could not be pulled out.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not a pain at all :).

Yeah, as Rob said, in pictures it might appear something that might have nothing to do with the conditions in that tank.

That was simply as the OP stated a problem at the time of the molt. Sometimes it does happend :(, is a matter of luck...Hopefully she can eat and will get her fangs back in the next molt...

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a t spinipes/stirmi do something like this. She started with a lump on her abdomen, began drinknig a ton of fulid. Attempted to molt and got stuck, I got her out but knew there was little hope. She had a wet molt and died the next day. I wish we could find out what is happening, it is a shame.

Mez

Arachnoknight
As I'm new to Theraphosas, I just thought i'd ask this, though I'm sure it's been asked a ton of times...has anyone had a 'slim' cb theraphose get these molt problems in larger individuals?
Cheers
James