Bad Theraphosa molt :( any advice (pics)

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome, glad to see she is out and about, hopefully she keeps going strong. :)

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those pics are just heartbreaking. Glad to hear she's at least up an about. Waiting to see an update.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Am I correct in thinking she's 100% apart from the deform-a-fangs?
She looks awsome. Hopefully she will take pre killed and moult out well next time.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tagged to watch. There are a few topics on here for de-fanged T's.
I'd suggest looking at some of those for reference.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

looks like the left fang that was stretched out also broke off :( How will she regen these fangs if they have nowhere to grow into? Do you think she will be able to eat once they finish hardening up? /sigh

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

thought I would toss in one more of the pretty girl! wish her well soon!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She looks pretty healthy to me,
I would make sure she is hydrated well
her abdomen is still good size, she have a good chance to pull a healthy molt and recover her fangs

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks Ana, really helps hearing positive comments from people who know what they are talking about :)

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cricket/Roach soup + hydration = Molt and regenerated fangs :D

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
her humidity has not dropped below 90% (very well ventilated) since the molt, constant 83 degrees in her tank, and a large bowl of fresh water daily. Ill try the bug cocktail in a couple more days.

Once her fangs harden should I try to see if she can kill her own prey and eat it? or should I go right for the dubia smoothie haha

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The T looks really good and chunky :). Not to be pessimistic, but those fangs dont look too good.

BUT,

This is the thing. Wild animals are tougher than we think. They have found their way in the wild without us,they get half munched by predators, or full of mites, or leacking abdomens...And they still make it to adulthood with 12 " legspan.They will still find their way.
This means,dont ever give up and be positive.

Get a freshly molted roach (those white and extremely soft, they love them) and offer it to her. Lets see how she responds.
If she caches it, smashes it and somehow eat it...Hey, Dont ask her how :eek:.

If you see she struggles and she discard the roach uneaten then you wanna go with the plan B.

Plan B is the cricket,worm soup. (I would use fat prey items like worms also )Its gonna be a pain, but if you get her to eat it and after some months of hard work she molts, you are gonna love her like is your Puppy. ;)

Keep us posted, but dont gie up on her!

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Still no luck with her feeding but it's still probably a bit too early, anyways she is still drinking and is alert and appears to be doing well. Here are some pics

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does she have a burrow? Is the enclosure really humid and warm?

These are crucial for a recovery. That will trigger the "hunger".

I would leave her a little bit loner,wait for the end of the month and offer some food (recently molted roaches or fat female crickets)...And lets wait for the best.

If not, then plan B...Damn it, its gorgeous,... but dont give up!

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea she has a nice burrow and it's 85 degrees and 90% humidity in there. Not sure why but she has been hanging out by her water bowl almost all of the time..

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The best would be to try, somehow, to feed her up with the cricket or worms soup (if she doesnt take prey by itself) and trigger a molt as soon as possible.

Next molt should take care of those fangs, or at least, if smaller, she will have functional fangs.

You are gonna have to get ready for a very long and hard 8-10 months, but if you take care of her she will make it to the molt... and boy, she will be your favorite pet ;)

I wish I could help... . This is my fav specie and Im very dedicated with this girls. :(

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Tarantulas with chopped off fangs have been known to make a full recovery if kept hydrated and on a diet of liquified crickets. Good luck.

Gorgeous Theraphosa btw.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man that sucks! I hope it pulls through and the problem is. Corrected by another molt. Please post pictures when it hardens.
Never mind lol. Posts must have crossed

Last edited: