Bad Theraphosa molt :( any advice (pics)

Tazman

Arachnopeon
Sorry to see this.......My hiatian brown has no fangs just stumps finds it hard to hold on to it's pray but he/she does eat just takes it along time.....

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As I'm new to Theraphosas, I just thought i'd ask this, though I'm sure it's been asked a ton of times...has anyone had a 'slim' cb theraphose get these molt problems in larger individuals?
Cheers
James
I'm far from pro but I am pretty sure theraphosas look "fat" all the time. Every pic I have seen of one is very plump. Mines came from a home of people that took less then good care of it. The man left the wife with the pets. She didn't spray them of feed them etc. She was still very fat. I didn't feed her a ton but she was fed. Compared to rob or fran who take great care of their theraphosa's.

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
Does anyone know the chemical makeup of the fangs? Could it be missing a specific mineral nutrient ect?

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I was wondering what the ratio is of normal molting to molting problems in the genus Theraphosa in captivity?

Sutekh

Arachnopeon
Sorry to see this. I have no first hand experience with this genus. To feed it post-molt I'd suggest trying small prey (maybe even many small morsels rather than one large one). That way it doesn't have to use it's fangs as much to pierce with and the exoskeletons of the prey will be thinner (than larger prey).

Best of Luck!

LV-426

Arachnobaron
the poor guy's T is in a world of hurt and your gonna use this thread to thank robc, geeze

Last edited:

zdillon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So sorry, I had a scare with my T. blondi this week but she is fine now. Every one on this board was every help full. I hope she pulls threw.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I just found out my T has the same problem!

Tonight i was doing some feeding and found out my 4" immature male T. gigas has the same fang problem. They are deformed and dont open. seems the fangs were not hardened before the molt. I had been feeding him normal from a sling. His last few molts went something like: Molted 9/27 then fed one lateralis. Molted 11/11 and was not fed. Molted 12/26 now with deformed fangs. Is the lack of nutrients the reason for this?!? :? Dont mean to thread jack but i thought id share this information in this thread. I had been holding him back in hopes of my female catching up. :wall:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
hey i lost 4 avics in the last two months.. ur pain is my pain... :barf:
To Bee stings? ;)

As for the real issue at hand, I am really sorry. My T.blondi had a perfect molt today and I am glad but it is always a scare. I guess the only thing to do is to keep the humidty high.. Hopefully it will be fine by next molt.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey i lost 4 avics in the last two months.. ur pain is my pain... :barf:
You need to learn to read. He hasn't lost the Theraphosa, she is going through a tough molt in which the fangs did not completely form. So why state , "sorry for your loss" and comparing 4 Avic deaths, when there isn't anywhere that he stated the Theraphosa passed ... :?

Back to the original topic.

Why is it that Theraphosa's are such a pain when they get around this size? My friend raised a T.blondi from sling to adulthood, then lost her shortly after when her abdomen did not form correctly in a molt. As I remember he had the temp/humidity requirements posted for the T.blondi, fed regularly with quality food items and never had any sign of problems before that. :(

Then you read/view post and videos of Theraphosa being lost or deformed via molt, even though they are in the "required" set-up.

It seems that the molt problems are common, and that reason is why I have shied away from keeping them, for now. I know others have had success with the Theraphosa, and hopefully they continue to have that success. Hopefully there is a missing key to the equation of the care and husbandry of these beauties, and someone finds it soon.

To the OP, I hope everything goes well toward the next molt, can only wish you good luck.

Last edited:

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To Bee stings? ;)

As for the real issue at hand, I am really sorry. My T.blondi had a perfect molt today and I am glad but it is always a scare. I guess the only thing to do is to keep the humidty high.. Hopefully it will be fine by next molt.
You beat me too it! ;) Good luck with the theraphosa!

archieph

Arachnosquire
haha

You beat me too it! ;) Good luck with the theraphosa!
FUNNY!!!! and about the passing away.. i'd be surprised if it survived.. seriously bro.. fangs look like some old mans crocked cane.. im sorry to say but if it was me wid teeth like that i'd js kill myself.. but i am curious to see if ur t survives.. i wish ur t all the luck!!!!

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
she looks great and I can tell shes been drinking, due to the eco earth in the water dish. Ill let her harden up for a few more days and scoop her up and take some pics of her fangs for everyones opinion, wish her luck!!

jt39565

Arachnoknight
That's GREAT! I really am amazed, anxiously awaiting pics of those fangs.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Glad to hear she is drinking. I wish i would of noticed the fang problem on my T sooner. Ive been having trouble trying to feed my T. gigas crushed lats.