B. Jacksoni care

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so, here are the pics.

Hope U like. My porpose is not have a huge colection of scorpions, but have them in conditions that make me see them (the scorps) like in nature. So I have the preocupation of creating enclosures that I like to see, not a box that we only see if take out the top!

comment please!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with you -- it does look better with the leaves.

Still can't wait to see your new scorps! :D

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HEHE... me too...

I had a prob with the money transference, but now that realized and maybe wednesday the scorps arrive... :D

I can wait... hehehe

The seller who I bougth the scorps have now a gravid female of Centruroides Margarinatus. Maybe they would be my next project :D... maybe...

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys.

FINALLY scorps arrived :D

the package:

the little scorp:

Today I'll try to fed them :D

Pics are bad but my camera could make better... :(

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What a little cutie! :D The first feed is a lot of fun.

Another one of mine molted the other day.

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi guys...

I have now the terrarium for the B. Jacksoni that are comming but I have a doubt.
This species needs drinking throught, right? I've a small cap into the terrarium, but the cap is bigger that the 2º instar scorps. Would they down on the cap?? :S

I'll put some pics os the enclosure for you see.
Just make sure the water isn't too deep.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have really bad news.

One of them escape from terrarium. I'm destroced :((((
The holles are about 2.5/3mm... I dont understand how could that happen.

I've now close the holles of the other terrarium, for have the sure that that dont escape. But I will buy a tapperware for put him cause I think that cage is to much big and he could have probs in capture the prey.

Anyone could tell me how much time the one who escape can survive in an ambient without food and humidities very dry? Cause taht could appears sadic, but I whant the little one who escape die quickly for have the sure that he dont bites in anyone!

PS_ The little one who dont escape are now eating a meal worm. The one who escape, dont eat the meal I gave him, so he is at least from 4 days without eating.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you absolutely SURE he escaped? I thought I had a couple of escapes, but then I found them hiding in very small spaces within the tank, or dug underground a little bit.

I hope you find it! :(

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, infortunely i'm sure!!

I put out all the barks and hides, put out the sand, clear everything and........ nothing :(

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I've some new questions:

1 - My scorp I think is 2º instar. May I give him one meal a week or two?
2 - Before comming to me, my scorp had molted. When he will molt again?

Tks

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I offer food around once a week -- there's no set schedule around here, but if they don't accept prey, I remove it.

As for the molting, I'm not sure. My five scorpions arrived May 11 -- I think I had two 2nd instar and three 3rd instar. Since then one 2nd and one 3rd instar have molted, and two others are in premolt right now. So it could be up to two months before it molts.

I hope this helps! :)

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes IHeartMantids, really helps!! :D

Thanks.

Mine, the guy who sell me the scorps told me that they where in 2nd instar and I think that my little is preparing a molt, but i'm not sure. He's colors as light...

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When they're in premolt, the tergites stretch apart and you can see the new tergites underneath the intersegmental membrane. Take a look at this picture of one of mine in premolt:

They will also often refuse food at this point.

(Tergites = exoskeleton plates on the back, intersegmental membrane = the membrane that connects the tergites.)

Edit: I want to share this with you -- last night I had two in premolt, this morning I have one in premolt. :D As you can see, there's quite a size difference between molts.

Last edited:

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Humm... for this pics, I dont have sure if he are or not in premolt... I'll wait to see.

Nice pics, thanks for the help!!

PS: your scorps are really beautifull :D

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another sign of premolt is that they get really fat just before they molt (at least, all mine have so far). Try to get a close look at yours -- if you can see the color pattern looking at the skin between the tergits, it's in premolt.

I'm glad you like my scorps! :) The color is the most vibrant right after they molt.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Humm... I've looking for the scorp and for the pics and I dont think he really in premolt...

I've transfer the scorp to a small enclosure, whithout susbtract cause I've read one article in the venomlist.com for grow bark scorpions. I hope that way he can molt well without die and get easy to find the prey.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just make sure he has something to hang from for the molt, like a piece of bark or cardboard.

Substrate should be OK -- it helps to hold in humidity, and non-desert species need some humidity to help with molting. All of mine are in small containers with substrate and three have molted without a problem. I'm going to put them all together in a larger container when they're adults.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Into The enclosure I've 2 pieces of bark. One in the floor (for hide) and another higher for he climb and molt upside down If he want. I've also cotton "coins" in the enclosure.

I dont have the substract. The pieces of bark mantain the humidity I want and the cotton 'coins' helps that, so I dont need the substract.
Ive been having some problems of fungi in the old terrarium, so I'm worried about the substract I've been using. I've put that (and barks together) at 250ºc for half an hour but 2 days after that appears another time the fungi, and I think that is to much high humidities without ventilation...

Now, in that kind of 'delli cup', that problem dont appear...

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've always had mold problems with cork bark -- maybe we keep it too humid?