B. Jacksoni care

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The "caresheets" there are extremely vague and do not go into enough detail for a novice keeper. They are almost as useless as tits on a boar hog lol.
Sorry Brian, I'm just a bit of a newbie myself and that has always come in handy when people give scientific names, to get a little information about each type. It also states which are communal, which was one of pear's questions.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hi.

I understand your point, Brian, and really thanks for the help! I dont use this plastic boxes only for a reason: Its bad to observe them without remove the top of the box.
I can understand that. If you want to use that type of box, you should cover part of the top with plastic which will decrease ventilation thus raising humidity.

I have only one doubt, that is the humidities. Many people mix that "vermiculite" on the substract to help mantain hight humidities.
The product I talk about is that:
It doesnt matter if you use that stuff or not if you dont restrict the ventilation as any substrate will dry out quickly with the screen tops.

the question is that I really need to mis that product with the subtract, or simply spray every day/week the terrarium!
Misting is a poor way to increase humidity as the water will not soak up the substrate well and will evaporate. I always soak up the subatrate by pouring water directly on it. Hope that makes sense and is of some help to you

Sorry Brian, I'm just a bit of a newbie myself and that has always come in handy when people give scientific names, to get a little information about each type. It also states which are communal, which was one of pear's questions.
No worries Bro!! I was a newbie once too and so was everyone else. The thing that disappointed me was the vague and often contradicting caresheets all over the internet. My best advice is to ask what you need to know on these message boards. The people here know more about scorpion keeping than most of the authors of those caresheets. You might also consider picking up a copy of Manny Rubio's book "Scorpions, a Pet Owner's Guide" if you havent already.
Some others and myself are working on getting better care guides on the net that will be more detailed. So be on the look out for that ;)

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The boxes I have are covered on top, and I have made some holles for the movement of the air (scorp need to breath...lol) But I'm afraid that if the ventilation would be to low, that I'll have the risk to create fungi in terrarium, right?

Ok, You put directly watter on yours B. JAcksoni terrarium how many times a week? (to have an idea...)

really thanks!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The boxes I have are covered on top, and I have made some holles for the movement of the air (scorp need to breath...lol) But I'm afraid that if the ventilation would be to low, that I'll have the risk to create fungi in terrarium, right?
By realeasing Isopods into the tank, they will keep the tank cleaner. If you have problems still, chances are you are geeting the substrate too moist. Remember, just slightly moist is all you need;)

Ok, You put directly watter on yours B. JAcksoni terrarium how many times a week? (to have an idea...)

really thanks!
I wait until it starts looking dry which often takes a month or 2. So in other words by doing it the way I showed you, there will be much less cage maintainance which is a BIG advantage for me as I keep around 300 scorpions! LOL

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
By realeasing Isopods into the tank, they will keep the tank cleaner. If you have problems still, chances are you are geeting the substrate too moist. Remember, just slightly moist is all you need;)
Isopods? what's that? sorry, my english is so... bad!:eek:

I wait until it starts looking dry which often takes a month or 2. So in other words by doing it the way I showed you, there will be much less cage maintainance which is a BIG advantage for me as I keep around 300 scorpions! LOL
humm, allright. simple!

300 scorps???
you are :? man!! hehehe{D

my mother would kill me! hehe

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hehe, that is that little thingS? here are thousands of it.

You sugest to put that little ("bichos de conta" in portuguese :p) on the terrarium? they wouldnt interfer with the scorpion?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep them in all of my humid cages. They do no harm to the scorpions and help keep the cage clean.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thak U, Brian.

I think my two B. Jacksoni arrives on wednesday. I hope I will have the lucky of being a male and a female :D

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Pear,

I didn't carefully read the thread, so someone else might already have pointed this out, but if I where you I would mix a small part of the vermiculite with cocopeat (humus). I do not use vermiculite at all because it can stick to your scorpions and they cannot walk properly on it. you can either mix with humus or use cocopeat (humus) solely.
good luck with your B.jacksoni's, you will find out what a wonderful species this is.

Regards, Michiel

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Michiel;

Brian advice me that I wont need to use vermiculite, simply turning watter on the substract. I wont use vermiculite, but if I heve probs on the future with humidities, I will use vermiculite.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No worries Bro!! I was a newbie once too and so was everyone else. The thing that disappointed me was the vague and often contradicting caresheets all over the internet. My best advice is to ask what you need to know on these message boards. The people here know more about scorpion keeping than most of the authors of those caresheets. You might also consider picking up a copy of Manny Rubio's book "Scorpions, a Pet Owner's Guide" if you havent already.
Some others and myself are working on getting better care guides on the net that will be more detailed. So be on the look out for that ;)
I've just ordered it for £5. Should have it tomorrow. An interesting read, I hope. :)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Pear,

Exactly! Vermiculite can help raise humidity, buyt it is not necessary if you tape your faunboxes in the right way or if you enclosure is fit to keep the humidity in. It will be a bit of experimenting for you in the beginning, but just ask all your questions, no worries!
good luck.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi guys...

I have now the terrarium for the B. Jacksoni that are comming but I have a doubt.
This species needs drinking throught, right? I've a small cap into the terrarium, but the cap is bigger that the 2º instar scorps. Would they down on the cap?? :S

I'll put some pics os the enclosure for you see.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
here are the pics.

the boxes:

Box one:

Box two:

Comment please!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The setups look great! (Reminds me of my own setup :D)

I can't wait to see your scorps when they come in!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Be sure to keep those 2nd instars separated until adult

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tks for the answers.

This setup was really cheap. I dont spent any money...

Are coming only two scoprs, so, they will stay in separate boxes!

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've put some decorating things on the terrariums. Simple leafs that made the terrarium much beautifull, in my opinion.

That leafs are natural, but I maybe substitue for artificial ones...

I'll put some pics...