Genus Avicularia

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
This thread was created with the purpose of keeping track of the unidentified species of Avicularia in the hobby. These Avicularia include A. sp. "urticans", A. sp."Peru Purple", A. sp."Amazonica", A. sp. "bicegoi" and others.

The thread will help hobbyists become aware of the physical differences between these new/odd/rare Avicularia sp. and have a type of reference for what they should expect their spider to look/behave. It will also serve as a weapon against breeders/dealers who, feeding off the hobbyist's lack of knowledge and confusion, sell their Avicularia sp. under a different name in order to make a profit. And finally, the thread will serve as a on-line identification record for whatever discoveries may turn up in the future concerning this genus as well as a record the progress and history of the hobby.

Feel free to also post images of Avicularia sp."unknown" for identification. Thanks.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, with the Avicularias, any identification done by eye should be taken with special caution - most people with Avics know this. So a positive ID will probably be quite impossible, but a narrowing down will not, however.. Would be intresting, regardless..

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
ID'ing Avicularia by picture=a really bad idea!
-Chris
This thread was created with the purpose of keeping track of the unidentified species of Avicularia in the hobby.

Hey Chris,

Not trying to ID Avicularia through photos, rather I'm trying to keep track of what they are selling as.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I don't follow.
We cannot ID these spiders. We don't know what they look like or what they are 'supposed' to look like. There are species of Avicularia are often purposely being sold under different names for whatever reason.

For example, what has been selling under the name A.sp "Peru Purple" is now selling under the name A."urticans". The name was changed by the exporters themselves with no real evidence that they are A.urticans. This was done because it is easier for exporters to sell and export an already valid and IDed species than and unidentified one. Whoever decided to do this is now creating confusion within dealers who now sell A.sp "Peru Purple" as A.urticans.

Had there been only one source of "A.urticans" throughout the hobby's history, there would not be a problem, but there is already a spider known as A.urticans, which has it's own separate characteristics. Now these 'new' A.urticans will be bred to 'old' creating an even bigger mess.

The same has happened with A.'amazonica'. German breeders have been selling both A.peru purple and A.peru purple x A.amazonica hybrids as A.amazonica to dealers here in the U.S who in turn sell it to hobbyists here.

If we post enough images of these species with sufficient background history data, throughout a sufficient period of time, we can track who is doing/selling what with which species. We can manage to obtain some sort of control over what species which have been switched or hybridized. Not necessarily IDing the species, but rather setting a standard and using wild caught specimens as the comparable models as they are the least likely to have been hybridized when compared to the A. sp. already in the hobby.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Even though I've been on this forum for a while for the other arachnids and insects it just occurred to me that i got my very first tarantula last month :D
So here's my little sling, been eating well and webbing up nice :)
Here's all the pics of it up to the latest ones :)
Any idea when i should be expecting a moult?

When i first got it

Settling in

Just the other day :)

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Anyone got a clue how long it takes at that stage to moult again though?

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Much longer than you'd think. They seem to grow ever so sloooowwwly, mine took 10 months to get to two inches! If you feed it well it will probably moult every 2 months or so, so you should get a moult in a few weeks :). It will go a dit darker and stop eating when it's about to moult, so you'll know it's coming.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I caught my A. metallica out of its web today and got a few pics. She about 4.5" and female. What do you think?

Heres her home.

Jerm357

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I never though this girl would ever get this fat. She was the pickest eater when I first picked her up about a year ago. She would just bite her prey, inject it with venom and let it go, like she did not want to deal with it. After that the prey would run around until it died then she would find it and eat it, sometimes days later. So then I deceided to try tong feeding her, but she would do the same thing. She seemed like she just did not like to eat, but she was not fat at all for her size. Since then she has molted and I have been droping one adult male dubia in her cage about once a week and she has been getting every one on her own. From the looks of her though, she going to stop eating anytime now I would say.

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are a pro with a camera! I would be happy if I could get shots of my slings half that good!

Grats on your molt! Keep up the good work! Your sling is adorable btw!