Anyone Keep A Tarantula At Work?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
It goes like this. I graduate in four weeks and shortly there after, I will start my first ever career job. The senior partner gave me an office tour and I quickly noticed that the youngest attorney had a fish tank in his office. Of course the gears in my head start turning, and I think my future boss could see right through me because he said, "...and you could keep a tarantula in your office if you want." What!? Tarantula in my office? Heck, I'll work for free! :D

Now the question becomes, what T do I keep in my office? I want something that is interesting to look at (not that any T isn't a icebreaker/conversation starter). I wan't something that is always out. I want something that doesn't make a huge mess (probably axing Avics., Pokies, and Psalmos from the list). I want something that is more active. A. genic. and GBB. were the ones to come to mind.

What Tarantulas meet my list?

Does anyone keep a tarantula at work (where you wouldn't expect to find a T)?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
N. incei may be a good choice. Webs like mad, decent looker, harmless venom, and they don't get very large. It won't take up a lot of desk space and it shouldn't freak out your coworkers... too much.

I'd personally worry about routine pesticide spraying, though.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah... amazing how much nations can differ.

In the U.S there's routine spraying, private spraying, campus spraying, yard spraying (ask @cold blood, lol) and whatnot.

In Italy when municipalities have to spray three (3) public area trees they 'Meh' :-s

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Definitely stay away from OWS and anything that tends to bolt. The last thing you need is to have one run loose or have you or someone else get bit by misteak. That would quickly put an end to you being allowed to have one or even get you fired.

I'd probably just stick with a Brachypelma or a good looking Grammostola, maybe a gbb but I still wouldn't want to risk their skittish behavior in a professional workplace especially if there's alot of activity in your room.

I'd also recommend a deeper hide just in case it really wants some privacy.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
N. incei may be a good choice. Webs like mad, decent looker, harmless venom, and they don't get very large. It won't take up a lot of desk space and it shouldn't freak out your coworkers... too much.

I'll double-triple check if there is any spraying. I'll also check the overnight temperatures too.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
You could also take advantage of that and go all out with a T. Blondi in a 40 gallon natural set up with running water, live plants, sunlight simulates with timers :D

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
I would go with a GBB sling. Watching it grow is both less intimidating for arachnofobics, as well as interesting to follow. GBB slings are also very beautiful and change colour when they grow. And the Webb is amazing. Also you should give it a really cute goofy name. ;)

sasker

Arachnoprince
I want something that doesn't make a huge mess
What do you mean with making a great mess? I am considering a Psalmopoeus sp for my next T, that's why.

As for your office T, keep in mind the possibility that urticating hairs may not be appreciated by your co-workers. So perhaps no Nhandu sp. :)

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I keep a few OBTs and a vagans at my work as desk pets. Everyone seems to love the OBTs webbing and color, and a brachy will always give a great feeding response!

Have fun!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Everybody loves a blue T, especially people that have only ever seen G. rosea in pet stores.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
What do you mean with making a great mess? I am considering a Psalmopoeus sp for my next T, that's why.

As for your office T, keep in mind the possibility that urticating hairs may not be appreciated by your co-workers. So perhaps no Nhandu sp. :)
I have two Psalmopoeus and both of them have filled their enclosures full of web filled dirt. It looks like I have two boxes of dirt until you look closer. I don't mind it at home and I find my Psalmos fascinating, but I don't really want a box of dirt on or near my desk in a professional setting.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Most important thing to consider is overnight temps in the office and weekend, holiday, power outages. Ts the temp controlled where it drops below comfort range for the T, turned down to bare (keep pies from freezing) minimum on holiday/weekends?
Can you get to the T fast enough in a power outage?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Most important thing to consider is overnight temps in the office and weekend, holiday, power outages. Ts the temp controlled where it drops below comfort range for the T, turned down to bare (keep pies from freezing) minimum on holiday/weekends?
Assuming I'm in town, I'll be able to get to the T. very fast. The city is smaller.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
For these exact reasons I keep them in a display box that I lined the inside with black foil then made steps with styrofoam and covered that with black duvatine, I have a heatmat thermostat and a piece of 1"x3"x12" cribbing with heat tape on it that I can lay in the back part and use to warm up the box in the cold warehouse days of winter. So far so good. And we are a film lighting warehouse that keeps active servers up 24/7 for productions working overseas, so the shop has a back up power system in case of outages.

If you zoom in on the attached pic, my box is to the left of the steel pole in the center of my desk.
image.jpg

boina

Lady of the mites
I keep my snakes in my office - one wall is mostly taken up by the 2x2m (nearly 7x7 feet) enclosure of my Boas and nobody bats an eyelid. I asked to keep a couple of Ts and my boss said yes - and several (!!) coworkers completely freaked out. I'm not even allowed to put up a picture of a tarantula ... and I work among biologist to boot.
Soooo... have you asked your future coworkers what they think of a tarantula in your office?

ronoverdrive

Arachnopeon
I would probably keep a B. hammori "smithi" or a GBB. Since you won't always been in the office you'll want something that is easy on the maintenance that anyone in your office could handle and that's a good looker that anyone can find remotely attractive especially after a molt.