Anyone Keep A Tarantula At Work?

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I have seen some coworkers go into threat posture. None have shot hairs or poop yet though.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
The most I've ever done is hide one in my locker for about 7 hours until my shift was over after picking it up on my break. I don't trust some of the idiots I work with enough to permanently keep anything there.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have seen some coworkers go into threat posture. None have shot hairs or poop yet though.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

@boina , that is ridiculous! It's like working in a pizzeria and hate pizza! :banghead:

@OP
I'd go for a B.smithi as well (the revision hasn't been peer reviewed and published yet people!). They're an icon of the hobby.
Or an Euathlus species Red. Curious, doesn't grow fast or big, and looks lovely.

I know that @spidertherapy78 keeps Theraphosidae in her office as well. She probably can share her experience :)

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
I would just get a rose hair. Very little maintenance and a good conversation starter.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I keep my snakes in my office - one wall is mostly taken up by the 2x2m (nearly 7x7 feet) enclosure of my Boas and nobody bats an eyelid. I asked to keep a couple of Ts and my boss said yes - and several (!!) coworkers completely freaked out. I'm not even allowed to put up a picture of a tarantula ... and I work among biologist to boot.
Soooo... have you asked your future coworkers what they think of a tarantula in your office?
That is crazy that they are cool with snakes but not a T.

In my office, the senior partner gave me the ok and I think the other two attorneys will be fine with it. Some of the staff might fuss a bit, but oh well. I worked long and hard to earn my degree and my future office, so I'm going to power trip over my office at least a little. :smug:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That is crazy that they are cool with snakes but not a T.

In my office, the senior partner gave me the ok and I think the other two attorneys will be fine with it. Some of the staff might fuss a bit, but oh well. I worked long and hard to earn my degree and my future office, so I'm going to power trip over my office at least a little. :smug:
2017-04-09-21-22-03-1763805101.jpeg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I used to keep a few in my shop when I was a body piercer. That was easily ten years ago..

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I've been trying to convince my mother to bring my G. pulchripes or my C. vonwirthi into her office. She wants a saltwater fishtank.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My grandfather was a federal judge. He talked his way into having a live bee hive in his judicial chambers. My family has a thing for bugs and the law I guess.
I know nothing about keeping bees, so maybe this is a really dumb question...but how on earth do you keep bees IN an office?? Won't they fly around and stuff?

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Haha I kept a 5"+ A. chalcodes female over my desk for several months. My manager was actually the one who helped me rescue her off the sidewalk near our office. He named her Snickerdoodle, which I think made her seem a lot less scary to our coworkers.

The first few weeks, people kept coming by my desk to stare or take pictures of the tarantula. I had to put up a sign that said, "Do not tap on tank" because people kept trying to get her to move... So yeah, my advice would be to put up a similar sign if you're not at your desk for long stretches of time.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I know nothing about keeping bees, so maybe this is a really dumb question...but how on earth do you keep bees IN an office?? Won't they fly around and stuff?
Fair question. It was a glass hive. It was vented to the outside some how so the bees could come and go.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
A law office, huh? Well, that could be convenient. If the spider gets loose and bites a co-worker or client and they decide to sue the firm, they don't even have to leave the building. Then you charge them the amount they get awarded and you break even!