After Avicularia?

shodan

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I hope everyone is well.

I know similar questions have been asked in the past - but I'd like to get latest opinions.

What do you think I should be considering getting next regarding new world arboreals?

I know they are all fast and skittish, but is there something that isn't prone to constant teleporting? Also something that doesn't spend 100% of it's life hidden away like my friends (apparently) very pretty P. Irminia?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Theres the Ybyrapora and Caribena genuses, they are spiders that used to be all in the Avicularia genus but got moved to their own separate ones. They are a little flashier than your standard Avicularia avicularia and are not as reclusive or "crazy" as some of the new world genuses such as Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Another vote for a Caribena versicolor. Adult females are absolutely astounding. And I mean astounding.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
@The Grym Reaper post some pics of your stunning Psalmopoeus irminia (Shadowcat - fixed that for you) to really wreck their head.
My favourite species from the genus by a country mile, also by far the least reclusive out of all of my Psalmos.

T Lurksalot

Arachnopeon
00A2EB2C-ED93-4D49-ADF9-FA136B1AB490.jpeg Another vote here for C Versicolor! I snapped this pic of my big Versi emerging from hiding after she molted last year and I’ve literally never seen her take cover since. When I open the cage she just waits patiently for food to be dropped in front of her, great feeding response too. P Cambridgei is also a great choice for a display species, but you’ll find all Psalmopoeus can teleport when disturbed.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I personally like the Tapinauchenius genus. Nice colors, often visible (as long as it isn't Tapinauchenius sp. "Carribean Diamond"), and they don't generally teleport when disturbed like some other arboreals. My Psalmopeus pulcher is also an awesome spider, usually out, beautiful coloration, and not defensive but zealous when it comes to food.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I personally like the Tapinauchenius genus. Nice colors, often visible (as long as it isn't Tapinauchenius sp. "Carribean Diamond"), and they don't generally teleport when disturbed like some other arboreals.
They're Tapinauchenius rasti now, Tappies are bungholes for teleporting and are widely regarded as the fastest genus in the hobby, I've had a couple of near escapes with mine, Psalmos are a lot easier to deal with IME.

View media item 59933

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@The Grym Reaper, I am just speaking from personal experience. I didn't know they were supposedly the fastest genus in the hobby, as mine have been fast but have never tried to escape or given me any reason to think twice about opening their enclosures. Of course, I have only kept three individuals of three species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
to constant teleporting?
Tapi's teleport, Psalmo's not as much, but quite fast.

very pretty P. Irminia?
They are quite photosensitive generally. P. pulcher not as much in my limited experience.

Recommending a versicolor is basically recommending another Avic, they used to be in the Avic genus. Of the many different species and localities I have owned that were Avics, the differences in behavior were very, very subtle.

@The Grym Reaper, I am just speaking from personal experience. I didn't know they were supposedly the fastest genus in the hobby, as mine have been fast but have never tried to escape or given me any reason to think twice about opening their enclosures. Of course, I have only kept three individuals of three species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Exceptions to all rules.

Widely regarded as the fast genus..Tapis...pretty, and more than pretty fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@viper69, I agree. I was just stating what I think might be good after Avicularia, especially if one want's to advance later to Pokies and other fast, venomous arboreals. Just my experience. Thank you viper69 and thank you @The Grym Reaper for informing me about this genus!
P. pulcher is very light tolerant based off the one specimen I have. Another thing to like!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
But it's a shame that their colors dim out as they grow :(
A nice shade of brown, and arboreal? What's not to love? :)
. Quite a different species to keep from a regular Avicularia in my experience... Different in a good way

MainMann

Arachnosquire
A nice shade of brown, and arboreal? What's not to love? :)
. Quite a different species to keep from a regular Avicularia in my experience... Different in a good way
They do have that quite regal, classy look to them! How are their growth rates and their visibility? You might just win me over to buy a sling lol :p

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've only skimmed through so if someone has mentioned them then I'm sorry but why has no-one mentioned Iridopelma? They'd basically be between Avics and Psalmos on the ladder.