Addicted...

rice_smuggler

Arachnopeon
I got introduced into the hobby inadvertantly...I went to a reptile show last year October 06 to pick up a scorpion to add to my collection and got a tiny B. vagans sling the size of a rolled up booger as a freebie. That got the bug started and I'm now up to 21 and growing...

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
No, I don't think that is too fast. It is easy to get addicted to this hobby. I went from a G. rosea to over a 120 (included slings) in about two years when I was stationed in Georgia. When I got transferred up here to Connecticut, I was forced to sell off everything. I still have the urge to get at least one or two now because I enjoyed the T's so much, but know if I suggest it to my wife, she'll roll her eyes and give me the "Here we go again speech." Looking back, I think I really enjoyed it the most when I had about 20 or 30. When the numbers started to really increase beyond that, it got to be a little time consuming and sometimes was a chore trying to care for that many. If you are ok with it, I say get as many as you want.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi my name is Warren and i'm an arachnoholic;P
All - "Hi, Warren" Lol

Yeah anyway, my boyfriend wanted to get a tarantula because he used to have one in Mexico. So we bought a B. auratum and got a N. chromatus as a freebie. The poor little chromatus suffered a tragic death (was knocked off the shelf :( ) Since my spider died, I wanted to get another one. So about a month later I got a 1"+ A. geniculata and a 1/2" C. fasciatum with a little 1/2" P. murinus as a freebie. Which I told my boyfriend that he could have the little devil. About two weeks later, I came across pinktoes in my local pet store. So I now have a sub-adult (i think) A. avicularia. And we are going to an expo tomorrow in Grand Rapids! YAY! {D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think you are too bad at all.

I started out with a rose hair now I have :

2 Chilean Rose Tarantula (Grammostola rosea)
2 Hysterocrates gigas
1 Nhandu vulpinus

(next week)

1 Ceratogyrus brachycephalus
1 Haplopelma lividum
1 Avicularia avicularia
1 Psalmopoeus cambridgei

I'm trying to actually get one specimen of all the species (if that makes any sense lol), well all the ones that botar has on his pages anyway.

How do P metallicas look? and how much do they cost? because I may get one of those the week after next week. For those of you who buy your Tarantulas online where do you buy them from besides botar in the USA?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
p. metallica slings are around $125.00-$175.00 depending on the size. They are gorgeous, but I will probably get a p. regalis or a p. striata, just to make sure that I have my ornamental husbandry down before I try for something as pricey as a metallica.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I was in the 7th grade (Don't worry, I'm 20 now) my science teacher brought in one of his rosea's for show and tell. He threw in a large cricket and once I saw it pounce on it like it's life depended on it, I got hooked. The next week I had a smithi, then before I knew it, I was up to 60 or so. That was when I was ONLY in the 7th grade. My collection topped at around 100. Then I started running out of room (alll the T's were upstairs in MY room). As I got older I knew I had college comein up and had to sell a lot of my prized ones... :( was very sad, yes. Today as we speak I have around 20 or so. One specific one, the famous singapore blue was purchased in June 2006. Shes about 3"+, once I saw the blue on her, I had to get more. Last week I got some. Now my collection mostly consists of "blues". 16 to be exact. :D I can just say I'm hooked on "blues" let alone tarantulas! {D

Austin

BinarySpider

Arachnopeon
Am I An Addict

I am not sure if I am a tarantula addict yet or not :confused:

I picked up an Acanthoscurria geniculata/brocklehursti about two weeks ago from my local pet shop. I am leaning more towards it being the geniculata species but time will tell for sure.

Since then I just recieved 8 Avicularia_versicolor spiderlings form Botar By Eights today. 8 is a very good number to start with. I may decide to breed them one of these days. They are all between 1_inch and 1_1/2_inches long. Very nice tarantulas with the normal bright blue coloration for the juveniles of this species. I am already thinking about getting another tree dwelling species after I see how this group does over the next month or two.

Am I an addict yet or just one in making :confused:

BinarySpider

sonny_soniel

Arachnopeon
2 weeks ago, i bought my ever first tarantula..a g.rosea sling.. well, he/she rarely moved at all, so I was bored. (but I love the T though.. :D especially when he/she molted after a day I bought him/her :D)

so, to cure this boredom over my rosie.. i decided to buy a P.Regalis. {D
man, he/she sure is active! (but he/she is not webbing.. wonder why..)

so far, I am not yet an addict.. only the occasional .. "user" :D

$pider

Arachnopeon
started in nov 07 with a adult g rosea from pet store, now i have 2 adult t's, 12 slings and 1 centipede, my mother hates me :D

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started in August 2007 with a Hetropoda venatoria and soon came the T's. I now have 39. Most of them are still small.
It's just like tattoos, once you get one, you gotta have more:p

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im over 100, so im not sure how much i can help but when i 1st started i only got females... soo that slows down the addiction some..you become more careful and more particular on what you buy....also it makes you save soo that always helps...lol

pearson340

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i started in december,i now have 4
Sylvia - Chilean Rose
Stevie - B.Vagans
Lady whirlwind - H.lividum
Houdini - H.Gigas
And im getting some more in the near future

monkey

Arachnopeon
Blue Spiders Rock

I started with B. Smithi, as I'd met one when I was little.
Then I started looking at other peoples pics, and have 2 Versicolor slings (baby blues).
I wanted something big and impressive for display purposes, so couldn't decide between A. Geniculata and L Parahybana, so got both, tiny slings though.
Next one I'm trying to track down is a P.Metallica sling or 2. I think that might come good in a couple of months hopefully.
Then once my finances are back on track, a singapore blue would be good.
My boyfriend is not happ about me turning the house into a zoo, so I have to restrict the amount of space I give them, so I thing a limit of 10 should be acceptable.......we'll see, LOL. I bought him a snake to even up the odds, so he's happier now.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
started with one b. smithi subadult female back in sept 2002.

i've hit over 140 since then.

i'm going to hold off until i'm confident that there isn't an illness in my collection (had a few sudden deaths recently), then i have many more species i'm still dying to acquire.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I started back in the late nineties with a G. rosea. Then A. avic. Then A. seemani. Then P. imperator. Then P. murinus. And then it exploded.

Over 800 at one point. Down to just over 100 now.

And I love it all!

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you want to keep your collection numbers down, don't start a roach colony whatever you do! Having unlimited free food makes new acquisitions just too damn tempting :rolleyes:

My collection has been growing quickly as of late. I currently have:

1 C. lamanai
3- G. rosea
2- B.albopilosum
1- A. chalcodes
3- B. smithi
1- T. blondi
1- A. avic

Arriving Tuesday:

2- A. sp. New River
1- B. auratum
1-B. vagans

So far the current group isn't even making a dent in one small Dubia colony. I'm going to be giving and trading roaches away in the very near future...

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm still really new to the hobby, only three T's since last October, '07. They are fun, I'm sure more will be on the way to expand my list:

1 - G. aureostriata

1 - G. rosea

1 - A. sp. new river

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been good, I've had my two B. smithi slings for a few weeks now, and while I've acquired other bugs since, its still just the two Ts for me. Thats all gonna change soon. I just did my taxes today, and although my refund is pretty much going towards my credit card debt, its tempting to spend it all on new Ts. I'm behaving myself so far, though.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No such thing as too many IMHO! I found a wandering male A. Hentzi when I was in high school, kept him in a big coffee can & tossed him grasshoppers.
That was a looooooooong time and a hairline ago. I have always been fascinated with inverts & was the weird neighborhood kid that could be found out turning over rocks or down wandering around the pond looking for creepy crawlers, playing with the praying mantis I found clinging to the side of the house or anything else I came across.
In '04 I discovered our tiny local owned pet shop had big ole "black Emperor scorpions". I read up on'em, bought a couple & then it was just scorps until last year.
The guy running the same pet store had a pair of G. Rosea he had bred. He would'nt sell the female as she was gravid but I bought the big male for $12.50. It wasn't long after that I started trying to pick up a few more here & there. :rolleyes:
My 12 yr old son loves'em too and has 4 T's of his own. I was up to 15, but then somehow obtained 6 more last Saturday while visiting with the guys at SSW. The sad thing is its not even been a week- and I'm already wanting to get a couple more!