So here is the semi-finished product of my Chicken Spider enclosure. I am not satisfied with it to be honest. I set it up and had several other species of plants to use that looked great together in natural light. Somehow when in the tank the colours clashed with either the background or one of the other plants I planned to use. I took them out and overpopulated the tank with creeping fig instead. Over the next few months I hope to trim down certain parts of the fig and allow the fig to grow across the background.
Over time the fresh dried leaves will darken to a dark brown or black and decrease the bright feel of the tank as well.
I'm hoping I'll grow to like the simplistic feel of the tank as everything matures. Perhaps I'll find the perfect plant though.
The chicken spiders are not in it yet, but I have placed multiple inverts (including small snails and worms) inside to test the tank. After a couple weeks I will add the group of 4 chicken spiders that I have if the other species are doing well.
Here is the tank redone. I had to deal with a systemic that came in on a plant. Thankfully that is gone now and I have some pesticide free moss, Cissus amazonica, and some more dwarf broms coming in soon. The new feeder and detritivore bugs added have done well over a week now so I have added the tarantulas and they seem to like it so far.
I'll be posting more pics of the big tank soon. I have to add some more broms, moss, and vines that are coming this week.
As for the T's in the tank, I have yet to see them leave their burrows. They took many weeks to start wandering around the tubs at night, so all I've caught glimpses of were some sitting at the entrance of the burrow and one molting right at the entrance in the perfect spot for no discernible photographs. :wall:
So this is my Monocentropus balfouri tank measuring 48''x15''x24''. So far my subadult female isn't in there since I just set it up. I'm letting it dry out and the plants time to root. I've tested it with feeder bugs and they are doing great.
To allow for burrowing the larger hillside is actually hollow. It is filled with lightly packed soil and has a spot on the top, and an entrance on each side (which the wood is overhanging).
Currently the tank isn't finished yet. I do plan to add more wood, rocks, and substrate around the center to allow for more burrowing spots. Let me know what you guys think.
Many of the plants are clippings from other vivariums I have. Some were ordered online and others were picked up at local greenhouses.
As for ventilation there is next to none. The whole concept is that the plants convert the CO2 into O2. Many inverts are found in burrows or on the forest floor where air flow is lacking. Air is humid and stagnant for prolonged periods of time. In the vase environment this is mimicked. There is some gas exchange around the rim, but not much. I have had multiple inverts in vases such as these. I choose to promote larger vases for multiple invert habitation though. Smaller ones tend to be for decoration, carnivorous plants, or for a lone dwarf tarantula or scorpion. If mold is produced detritivores in the vase end up removing it and keeping it under control.
And I am quite excited to talk at the Arachnocon.
As for the chicken spiders, no updates yet. I have been focused on setting up for this Reptile Show.
Just got 5 Holothele incei "gold" in from Europe. I did a joint order with David Avery (of Avery Exotics) and our supplier picked these up from an expo in Germany last weekend.
Quite excited to have them.
It's quite hard to capture the true colour of this species. Like most tarantulas the photograph usually washes out one colour or over enhances the hairs (leaving the carapace colours faded). They have an orange/golden hue with what seems to be some underlying faint pink. Pinky-orange gold if that makes sense.