Poecilotheria metallica care

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why would a T live around a centipede? couldn't a centipede make a meal out of it , they are very aggressive. Or do they tolerate each-other when hiding from bigger predators. I've seen spiders live near centipedes in ohio , under rocks etc.
They all have been seen sharing hides/logs in trees together, i guess it is of mutual benefit so they all can avoid predation in the day hours. I am sure all of them, scorps, T´s and centipedes prefer more easy prey items than eachother where they risk themselves to become the dinner. It makes good sense to me that they can tolerate eachother.
I have in Thailand observed all three species live under the same rocks, so they do it many places. It is a fact.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They all have been seen sharing hides/logs in trees together, i guess it is of mutual benefit so they all can avoid predation in the day hours. I am sure all of them, scorps, T´s and centipedes prefer more easy prey items than eachother where they risk themselves to become the dinner. It makes good sense to me that they can tolerate eachother.
I have in Thailand observed all three species live under the same rocks, so they do it many places. It is a fact.
Yeah it makes since, Fighting to the death or two predators never is a good idea. Easier meals are less risky.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Where's the water bowl in the pic? That really should be mandatory. Don't rely on misting.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Where's the water bowl in the pic? That really should be mandatory. Don't rely on misting.
Yeah your right my high humidity species I put multiple filled water-bowls, Keep some of substrate dry though so it dost get too swampy. My P antinous got like 4 small water-bowls lol. Im using cut off pieces of water-bottles for water-dishes I can throw them out if they get nasty , I make sure they aren't sharp though.

Got any better ideas for waterbowls?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yeah your right my high humidity species I put multiple filled water-bowls, Keep some of substrate dry though so it dost get too swampy. My P antinous got like 4 small water-bowls
Good point. If you need more humidity, and don't want wet substrate, adding a water bowl or two is a great way to do it. Or if the spider keeps filling up one water bowl with substrate.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
I've raised 14 P mets to their adult stages without using water bowls until they were in their late juvie stages. I still don't need to give them water, but they like it.

---------- Post added 11-18-2014 at 09:54 PM ----------

As long as it has that dry climbing space and the soil isn't so wet that you can squeeze water out of it, you should be in the right humidity zone.

Also, how much light is it getting? And how much are you stressing out? What I mean by that is how often do you see it running for shelter? It needs to have very low stress right now until he gets his next meal.

---------- Post added 11-18-2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

I never mist. I only add water to the substrate after it gets dry on the surface for a day or two.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've raised 14 P mets to their adult stages without using water bowls until they were in their late juvie stages. I still don't need to give them water, but they like it.

---------- Post added 11-18-2014 at 09:54 PM ----------

As long as it has that dry climbing space and the soil isn't so wet that you can squeeze water out of it, you should be in the right humidity zone.

Also, how much light is it getting? And how much are you stressing out? What I mean by that is how often do you see it running for shelter? It needs to have very low stress right now until he gets his next meal.

---------- Post added 11-18-2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

I never mist. I only add water to the substrate after it gets dry on the surface for a day or two.
yeah Pokies are more at risk with wet sub , they do very good with dry I think. Why are they so hardy for aboreals?? Very impressive. They put most african Ts to shame for hardiness. Even OBT is trumped , I think pokies do better drier.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
The only P met sling (out of sixteen -the other one that died did so because I gave it a plant without checking if the local nursery had sprayed it for pesticides-) that failed to eat it's first meal with me probably did so because it had wet substrate and no climbing space right away. It's sac mate was okay though in similar conditions.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
The only P met sling (out of sixteen -the other one that died did so because I gave it a plant without checking if the local nursery had sprayed it for pesticides-) that failed to eat it's first meal with me probably did so because it had wet substrate and no climbing space right away. It's sac mate was okay though in similar conditions.
I have to agree with this statement,I have not housed my Poecilotheria on wet substrate at all. I just add a water dish,and mist every few days. I haven't lost one Poecilotheria,so that must count for something. Even my communal setups have been done the same way,and they have been doing well.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have to agree with this statement,I have not housed my Poecilotheria on wet substrate at all. I just add a water dish,and mist every few days. I haven't lost one Poecilotheria,so that must count for something. Even my communal setups have been done the same way,and they have been doing well.
Only Pokies I ever lost were ones with wetter sub, and ones who had DKS but I dealt with seller. Who I believe wasn't his fault he, I also don't think Dks happens to him often. I usually give my Arboreal's bark to climb or something too.

Larger Pokies do fine on wet or dry sub It seems, they always are up high it seems away from ground when properly set up in 10gal.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
As for my metallica communal setup, I would like to note going for the next milestone mark of 60 days. So far not one Hick up, sharing close proximity not one in one corner the other in another. They have utilised the same spot for molting,how is that for interesting. I have a possible male in between the specimens,since it is really outgrowing the others since sling size. I will do an interesting update soon on my regalis communal setup,they've been together since sling and this is now years later. I have an adult male in,he has courted two females within the setup no attacks on him he is still alive and kicking and tapping his heart away. I have also started up a Monocentropus Balfouri communal setup,will have updates on this as well.

---------- Post added 11-19-2014 at 05:21 AM ----------

Only Pokies I ever lost were ones with wetter sub, and ones who had DKS but I dealt with seller. Who I believe wasn't his fault he, I also don't think Dks happens to him often. I usually give my Arboreal's bark to climb or something too.

Larger Pokies do fine on wet or dry sub It seems, they always are up high it seems away from ground when properly set up in 10gal.
Hello again
I hope you try the avic setup I am using,since many will disagree but the proof is in the pudding so to say or in the photos haha. All those were reared from sling,so I didn't just get a large specimen and test it I went out and tested multiple avic types.

Last edited:

goodyt

Arachnosquire
So, we agreed that there is such thing as substrate being too wet for these guys.

I'll concede that misting and a water bowl are another method that can work but, since the action of misting can be stressful, and we want to keep the sling from being any more stress than possible.

I would go on suggest watering the soil as opposed to misting for right now. Only add a few drops of water but do you add some when it gets dry.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
As for my metallica communal setup, I would like to note going for the next milestone mark of 60 days. So far not one Hick up, sharing close proximity not one in one corner the other in another. They have utilised the same spot for molting,how is that for interesting. I have a possible male in between the specimens,since it is really outgrowing the others since sling size. I will do an interesting update soon on my regalis communal setup,they've been together since sling and this is now years later. I have an adult male in,he has courted two females within the setup no attacks on him he is still alive and kicking and tapping his heart away. I have also started up a Monocentropus Balfouri communal setup,will have updates on this as well.

---------- Post added 11-19-2014 at 05:21 AM ----------

Hello again
I hope you try the avic setup I am using,since many will disagree but the proof is in the pudding so to say or in the photos haha. All those were reared from sling,so I didn't just get a large specimen and test it I went out and tested multiple avic types.
MY A avic is doing fine, going strong for 2 years or so. I shouldn't have quit the genus due to bad experience in the past , Someday ill get a new A versi or a few. I still prefer pokies though I am not afraid of there potent bites.

A versi was sub adult female 4" . Really I quit posting for 6 months, or more due to this loss , plus Goliath death. I like dissapeard Id imagine some thought I quit the T hobby.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
MY A avic is doing fine, going strong for 2 years or so. I shouldn't have quit the genus due to bad experience in the past , Someday ill get a new A versi or a few. I still prefer pokies though I am not afraid of there potent bites.

A versi was sub adult female 4" . Really I quit posting for 6 months, or more due to this loss , plus Goliath death. I like dissapeard Id imagine some thought I quit the T hobby.
Well glad you haven't given up,hope to see you post more even though I have just joined here recently.

---------- Post added 11-19-2014 at 06:12 AM ----------

So, we agreed that there is such thing as substrate being too wet for these guys.

I'll concede that misting and a water bowl are another method that can work but, since the action of misting can be stressful, and we want to keep the sling from being any more stress than possible.

I would go on suggest watering the soil as opposed to misting for right now. Only add a few drops of water but do you add some when it gets dry.
Yes the stress factor is there,maybe dumb luck I don't know but with all my pokies I have been doing well. When I do mist,I mist in opposite sides of where my pokies are. I do not,and I emphasise this I do not spray on them or in close proximity.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
That's a good side note. Sometimes I do forget important side notes.

I'm sure there's nothing dumb about your luck. You have good numbers. Right?

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
That's a good side note. Sometimes I do forget important side notes.

I'm sure there's nothing dumb about your luck. You have good numbers. Right?
I have had no losses so far,the following I have in my collection.
- Poecilotheria metallica
- Poecilotheria subfusca/bara
- Poecilotheria Smithi
- Poecilotheria Fasciata
- Poecilotheria Regalis
- Poecilotheria Striata

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont use any waterbowls for any of my T´s, only when i have dry periods on them because of breeding purposes i do it shortly. I keep the substrate wet and moist 1 or 2 times a week. With the small T´s put in some bark, and the T many times sucks the water from there.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I dont use any waterbowls for any of my T´s, only when i have dry periods on them because of breeding purposes i do it shortly. I keep the substrate wet and moist 1 or 2 times a week. With the small T´s put in some bark, and the T many times sucks the water from there.
Most people can't do that without losing spiders.