Poecilotheria metallica care

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well, saturday I'm going to buy crickets.:p

The only time I can get any of my Poecs to eat superworms/mealworms is right after a molt when they're starving. Once they've put on some weight, most won't touch them then.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Try to get crickets that aren't much bigger than the P met's body (not including legs.) All that exciting jumpy movement is irresistible if it's hungry at all.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
If I can't get such little crickets I'll just cut them/remove their legs except one so they're not too jumpy when bit. I think that might work.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
I've fed cricket parts to little ones before. It does work. If we were talking about mice and boa constrictors -I would say- definitely euthanize it first. In the case of the crickets and P mets, it's not likely that a hungry T will turn it's nose up at its live movement if you can get it at the right size.

Not to add confusion to the mix but live crickets can bite but pinching the head of a cricket might be a waste of a little life and (like) twelve cents.

I prefer to just observe with crickets (and ALWAYS with mealworms) since lasting damage would take time to do with a cricket's bite. Then, if the T does not eat the cricket, you can keep it in a separate tiny container with a damp paper towel and a small piece of fruit or vegetable (like an apple or potato) for a day or two and try again.

That's why I prefer dubias and large flightless fruitflies. They can be left unobserved.

Then if you want to go uber eco system, add pill bugs or earwigs to clean up what bolis you may miss or left over decomposing material so that you can keep from needing to change out the substrate. I like to use pothos in peat moss (boil first if you prefer) to double filter the extra particulates in the substrate. Again, enjoy. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Tried feeding it a mealworm again... No response. Looks like they really are the black sheep of the genus when it comes to eating.
Sometimes they take time to adjust before they hunt, you cant wait a few days and try again. I know my T's won't touch meal worms, some will eat roaches but 100% will go for crickets. I know my P.met takes his sweet time to get his food despite the fact he won't think twice to throw a pose up at me. A small cricket should entice it but if you keep an eye on it, roaches are good too (make sure they don't burrow) as they make a good hearty meal if the T will take them.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Today I bought crix. I picked the smallest, removed it's "jumping" legs and 2 others so it's relatively immobile. I gave it to Blue (my gf proposed that we call it blue and that's its name lol). We'll see what happens :p

---------- Post added 11-15-2014 at 07:14 PM ----------

Still no interest in food. Could it be something in regards to conditions?

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Pics? How moist is the substrate?

---------- Post added 11-15-2014 at 08:29 PM ----------

It could possibly be premolt.

cold blood

Staff member
Angel, I'd add more plants (I prefer plastic plants, like those sold for aquariums) and maybe another chunk of wood (or a larger chunk), it looks kind of Spartan in there and the more anchor points you can provide, the easier it is for the t to not only web, but make those web tubes rather intricate.

And put in a water dish...as simple as the lid from a water bottle.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Then I should get a bigger enclosure so I can put in more stuff in it? This one is pretty little and limited in terms of space. I just tried feeding it cricket parts and it tagged it so hard it flung it off the tongs... First time seeing a T hit something so hard. Sadly it wasn't interested in eating it.

cold blood

Staff member
Then I should get a bigger enclosure so I can put in more stuff in it? This one is pretty little and limited in terms of space. I just tried feeding it cricket parts and it tagged it so hard it flung it off the tongs... First time seeing a T hit something so hard. Sadly it wasn't interested in eating it.
No, just add a little more, I like to put plants directly around the wood, its not like you need a ton, just a few strands of plastic plant, a water dish and maybe some long fiber spangum moss (I know I butchered that spelling). The quicker it webs and more webbing it creates, the easier it will be to deal with as it will automatically head there in times of stress or surprise...without it, you'll see a higher likelihood of bolting or scrambling around the enclosure at a high rate of speed.

You shouldn't need to tong feed it, it should have zero issues hunting and killing a small cricket...arboreals are good hunters, even when small. It will eat in time, and it sounds like it may be getting more interested...or perhaps ticked...lol.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would give the T a rest for now. It can without problems molt a couple of times in there, then give it a bigger enclosure. You dont need a waterdish in there, just mist in there a couple of times a week, it works well. Dont go crazy about the humidity though, just keep it around 70% and you have a happy T.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
By reccomendation from cold blood, I put in one more plastic plant which I found suitable for webbing and anchor spots. Will update with a pic when Im at home.

10808208_747571818613589_2107420161_n.jpg

I added this plant. Seemed appropriate given that it has many contact points near it - the piece of bark, the other plastic plant, walls, lid etc.

My P. metallica has webbed up, but only a very small amount. It seems to have close to none interest in webbing. I guess it's still acclimating to the conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

awiec

Arachnoprince
View attachment 132028

I added this plant. Seemed appropriate given that it has many contact points near it - the piece of bark, the other plastic plant, walls, lid etc.

My P. metallica has webbed up, but only a very small amount. It seems to have close to none interest in webbing. I guess it's still acclimating to the conditions.
Mine is not a major webber either, he just made a little tunnel that is mostly on the ground and that is where he likes to hang out until he decides to give me threat poses. My P.vitatta is not a big webber either and only has a few patches here and there but my regalis has a huge dirt curtain and tunnel system; so it depends how your spider is.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
My P. regalis is also a very firm webber, but hasnt shown much interested in webbing since I moved it to another enclosure.

Today I noticed some poo from the P. metallica. Looks like it's eaten before I received her. That makes me a bit more laid-back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Some Poecs spin more than others as slings. My concern is that it's abdomen is pretty small in the pic.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They really are not communal, but i do use the term when writing, but i know it is a bad choice of word. They tolerate eachother when it works in their best interest. As i have said before, several poecilotheria are known to share hides in trees with other poecs, but also with scorpions and centipedes, and that is definately not a community! There are also frogs that lives together with some T´s, but that is only because it benefits both species, not because of deep feelings towards eachother...
Why would a T live around a centipede? couldn't a centipede make a meal out of it , they are very aggressive. Or do they tolerate each-other when hiding from bigger predators. I've seen spiders live near centipedes in ohio , under rocks etc.

Last edited: