Poecilotheria metallica care

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I put in a bottle cap from a Coca Cola bottle and filled it almost to the top. Added 2 more rings of holes on the sides of the enclosure since the bottle cap is pretty big compared to the enclosure itself. Didn't want the air to get stuffy and stagnant.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
I put in a bottle cap from a Coca Cola bottle and filled it almost to the top. Added 2 more rings of holes on the sides of the enclosure since the bottle cap is pretty big compared to the enclosure itself. Didn't want the air to get stuffy and stagnant.
Another side note: bowls shouldn't be bigger than your T's leg span.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
I'm using micro tierra cotta pots filled almost to the top with hot glue for my third instars.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Where'd you get that info from?
I did read that at some source that I found reliable enough at the time to follow. I don't keep a catalog with all my footnotes for all of my actions and advice.

I do have a masters degree and in That time I learned the importance of sighting one's sources but it's not happening here.

In four years since I have received my degree I have researched caring for these animals way more than any of my cats (poor kitties.) In that time, I saw this statement that has only proven to make sense to me.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I did read that at some source that I found reliable enough at the time to follow. I don't keep a catalog with all my footnotes for all of my actions and advice.

I do have a masters degree and in That time I learned the importance of sighting one's sources but it's not happening here.

In four years since I have received my degree I have researched caring for these animals way more than any of my cats (poor kitties.) In that time, I saw this statement that has only proven to make sense to me.
You claim to have a masters degree in music. A nice personal accomplishment, indeed, though that's not going to be very relevant on an arachnid forum.

How has "bowls shouldn't be bigger than your T's leg span" been proven to make sense to you? As previously stated, a tarantula isn't going to sink. Sources you say? How about this image of an Avicularia not drowning on the surface of one of nature's large 'water bowls':
http://www.natgeocreative.com/comp/MI/001/1332172.jpg

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Are we talking about Avicularia?

---------- Post added 11-20-2014 at 09:03 AM ----------

And how long did you go to school?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are we talking about Avicularia?

---------- Post added 11-20-2014 at 09:03 AM ----------

And how long did you go to school?
You're avoiding my question with more questions. Really?

Your statement in question was in regards to water bowl size. The subfamily of Theraphosidae is irrelevant in this instance, as most will float.

And I went to school decades ago, so what? Again, that's about as relevant to tarantula water bowls as your music degree is.

Now, since you chose to not actually answer the questions asked of you or cite sources...see this thread with Advan's pic in post #11 of a Poecilotheria tarsus not breaking the surface tension of a water dish: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?233327-Can-a-tarantula-drown

goodyt

Arachnosquire
My point is that you're a genus off.

I own 15 P mets and have been raisin them for years.

---------- Post added 11-20-2014 at 10:00 AM ----------

Don't blanket your statement with the word "most". Do you have an image of a floating gooty?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Come on, people. Stop it.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I did all that was recommended. Now all I can do is wait for it to feel some hunger LOL

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What makes you so sure that a P.metallica couldn't float on water as well?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I think it can float due to it being very small and light, but I believe it can technically drown.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think it can float due to it being very small and light, but I believe it can technically drown.
They all can drown, their lung slits are right next to the ground, or water. But their oxygen needs are much lower than a vertebrate's, so they won't drown nearly as fast either.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
drowning?

This is a versi sling drinking from a water bottle lid bigger than its dls.

All my slings get a dish once they reach 1/2" and I frequently see them in the dish...without issue I might add. If you're really worried, put a few pebbles in, I believe drowning in such a situation to be a virtual impossibility.

Attachments

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
In my 5 years of experience I have NEVER seen a T drink from the water vessels I have offered.