Melly, the G. rosea with a LOT of issues!

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I'm glad Melly's doing better. She's such a fighter. I think it's wonderful that you stuck with her, and helped her through. I hope she keeps getting better and better.

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
Wow, I attempted feeding her and I actually saw both her fangs come out this time. I'm not sure if she got it, but she was more frantic about it this time. Fingers crosssed!

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Wow, I attempted feeding her and I actually saw both her fangs come out this time. I'm not sure if she got it, but she was more frantic about it this time. Fingers crosssed!
Wow! That's quite the improvement! I'm happy for her!

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
See this is her problem. She catches the prey by one fang and holds it to her mouth for days until the prey dies and starts rotting to which I have to take it from her. She still hasn't eaten and her abdomens looking small again. I can't tell if it's because if it's shriveled or because thats how her hair grows. She's still doing good though despite all that! Nothing abnormal besides the usual. White stuff seems to be going away or showing to a minimum and keep in mind I only clean her fangs once a week or so now so thats a big improvement in my book. I need her to molt out whatever problem she is having with her fangs..

DannyH

Arachnobaron
See this is her problem. She catches the prey by one fang and holds it to her mouth for days until the prey dies and starts rotting to which I have to take it from her. She still hasn't eaten and her abdomens looking small again. I can't tell if it's because if it's shriveled or because thats how her hair grows. She's still doing good though despite all that! Nothing abnormal besides the usual. White stuff seems to be going away or showing to a minimum and keep in mind I only clean her fangs once a week or so now so thats a big improvement in my book. I need her to molt out whatever problem she is having with her fangs..
I think once that happens, she will be a lot better, and she looks like she may molt soon.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Try Giving her something softer. Maybe chop up a large cricket and offer her the soft abdomen part maybe she will have less problems with it

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
I've tried. She won't go for anything prekilled or dying. It just sits and rots up her enclosure.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a small OBT with the same issues as your spider.I am starting to think something is wrong with the sucking stomach or the mouth itself.

Drakk

Arachnosquire
Bravo to all your efforts and hers....she really is looking better!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm going to try and take a sample of that goop and put it in water and see what happens. Regardless i'm going to set her up an icu tonight and leave her in there until morning and check up on her then. I hope it's not evil parasites. Do you know how it spreads? If shes in the same room as my other Ts it won't harm them right?

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

So I just pinched her and flipped her over and noticed all the white gunk was gone. After pulling various pieces of substrate out her mouth I took a syringe and squirted the area with water. After it pooled up it got slightly cloudy and I looked for a while, hard and close with a light to aid me and saw no moving, squiggly wormy things at all. Her palps move fine, she acts pretty normal (like a rosie). Maybe it was poo or web?
Why would you torture your spider with an ICU??? Can you tell me why that would help?
When buying WC from petstores there is a risk of getting nemotodes, and rescue one from a petstore wll just kill another

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why would you torture your spider with an ICU??? Can you tell me why that would help?
When buying WC from petstores there is a risk of getting nemotodes, and rescue one from a petstore wll just kill another
If you actualy read the intire thread, you would know that it is NOT nemotodes. I don't understand why you would think an ICU is torture. She oviously loves her tarantula and is trying everything to save it.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you actualy read the intire thread, you would know that it is NOT nemotodes. I don't understand why you would think an ICU is torture. She oviously loves her tarantula and is trying everything to save it.
Do you know how much stress a super humid and unfamiliar container will cause to an arid spider? And what good will a icu do to a infested spider you think?

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
Falk- LOL I can't tell if you're trolling or looking for someone to debate the purpose of an ICU with. My rosea does not have nematodes and has not been near an ICU for a long time, as anyone who kept up with my thread would have realized.

If you kept up with my thread you would know she is getting better and not even in need of an ICU. I'm trying everything I can to try and save my little girl and thats why I tried an ICU, as most hobbyists would.

At one point her abdomen was shriveled, YES. I tried an ICU to try to hydrate her and after that ICU I put her back in her enclosure, she drank, her abdomen filled out some. So obviously it had to do her some good. I stand by everything I have attempted to get her healthy again and looking at her now i'm glad I bothered because she is doing better then ever. The only issue is her not eating and I suspect it's a fang issue. All I can really do is wait for her to molt out.

Echolalia

Arachnosquire
I'm really glad to see that Melly is doing better! She's so adorable, and has the most dedicated owner I've heard of :)

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
Hey guys not so good news...

Lately I have been leaving Melly alone more to see if she picks up recovery by herself and to reduce her stress, but that also meant not cleaning her mouth or anything. Her health just took a rapid downhill spiral and I fear she may not have the energy to molt out her eating impairment.

She's been hunching over again and ignoring food but there appears to be a lack of white stuff. I haven't seen any for a while on her mouth.

I'm gonna resume my "treatments" and I will keep you guys posted. I bought her crickets but she isn't interested.

Its funny how the people who are critical about what I'm doing here tell me I'm stressing her out by messing with her too much and when I stop she starts declining again =/

I'm hoping she's in premolt but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Ixithel

Arachnosquire
also, the foul scent has moved on from a bad sinus infection to rotted lilacs. I'm not sure if anyone could tell me something about that.