Just got a birdeater :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
That's what I used to say, 'Just one more T and my collection is finished." I've just accepted now that it'll never be finished.

Glad to hear your girls doing better now.
Thanks I'm thrilled she is doing so well and eating good. I named her morticia/doomsday lol wasn't 100% sure she was a girl. now everyone calls her doomsday so i guess thats her name. Btw I have a girl cat named Wednesday lol

ophidia

Arachnopeon
I picked up a captive bred baby T. stirmi back in March, with about a 2.5" leg span. She's (sexed via molt under my stereo scope) now 4" or so, a big eater, and doing great. She's presented no challenges. I'm glad to see that you're having good luck with getting yours set up and happy. If you do end up having problems keeping humidity up in your tank, even with your modifications, she'd do great in that tote.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Well looks like your into the swing of things now. I personally love using rubbermaid bins, or plastic containers, they work great for keeping humidity and are easier to move if needed.

Right on looks good. I had no clue where to buy from and googled tarantulas for sale and went from there. My stirmi looks rough now because it was most likely wild caught, but the shipping method did her no favors. I will probably buy.any future t's from here. I'm focusing on my big girl for now, but have a couple I want to add in the future. A b Smithi and lp would complete my collection i think.

^ As a rule personally i don't purchase live animals without seeing them first. I look at local adds, or wait for shows and purchase from the vendor face to face. The other option is having the seller send a good quality video clip of the animal you are buying.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I picked up a captive bred baby T. stirmi back in March, with about a 2.5" leg span. She's (sexed via molt under my stereo scope) now 4" or so, a big eater, and doing great. She's presented no challenges. I'm glad to see that you're having good luck with getting yours set up and happy. If you do end up having problems keeping humidity up in your tank, even with your modifications, she'd do great in that tote.
Thanks :) I copied the tote almost exactly from one's I had seen that were a success online. I know the terrarium looks a lot better, but if she does have any problems the tote will be fine too. I wanna get the screen off the terrarium at the very least.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^^I'm going to a show on the 30th in indianapolis, but probably just to look at the spiders and get gear. I will probably buy a few young lp's at some point from a show though. Btw doomsday ate a superworm today. Since she looked underfed I can just keep dropping crickets and stuff in until she stops eating them correct?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
^^^^I'm going to a show on the 30th in indianapolis, but probably just to look at the spiders and get gear. I will probably buy a few young lp's at some point from a show though. Btw doomsday ate a superworm today. Since she looked underfed I can just keep dropping crickets and stuff in until she stops eating them correct?
Keep feeding Doomsday (nice name) until her abdomen looks healthy, meaning about 1.5-2 times the size of the carapace. If you would like you can feed her a little more than that, to get her to molt quicker, but don't overfeed her because an overfed abdomen can more easily get ruptured. I'd feed her just superworms/large roaches because she will gain more girth per superworm/large roach than per cricket but either is fine.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Moved her into the tub. She kept playing with the top of the terrarium. I think I will use the terrarium for an lp in the future. She will be happier and healthier in the tub or so every one has told me.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
that gauge is not necessary, in fact, gauges like that have led keepers to seriously over water their Ts and kill them. just keep the bottom 3 quarters of the sub moist and you'll be fine.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I made it moist but not so much that u can squeeze water from the substrate. I misted before I put her in why it looks so wet. I'm not going crazy w the gauge and am using it for temperature mainly. I'm keeping the sub moist and misted the moss.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
She's still got an appetite. Fed her some crickets earlier. She wouldn't eat another super worm, but went right for the crickets. I don't think she looks too fat yet even though she eats a bunch.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Definitely done with the hygrometer. It reads 99% humidity in the tub at all times. If I take the top off it drops right away. I'm thinking of drilling more holes in the top for ventilation though. The substrate is new and moist all the way down with moist moss around her log hide. I lined the very bottom with moss and filled the rest with several inches of moist substrate. She's eating and doesn't seem distressed at all.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
And I will repeat the sub is moist not so saturated that water comes out when I squeeze. I might drill holes until I get the readings down to like 90% just for peace of mind. I can always put tape over the holes to restore moisture retention if needed.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like others have said, ditch the hydrometer. It serves to use other than stressing the owner out, I did the same when I got my first T's. ;)

As long as she's acting normally, she's fine. Don't sweat it.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Yeah there's no dew or anything on the lid or sides, so I know it's not 99% humid in there. I do have two water dishes in there and I made the moss all the way at the bottom pretty wet before putting just moist substrate over that. Ill like this a whole lot better in about six months and a good molt.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Does she still look underfed? She literally at 9 crickets today. She won't eat anymore superworms, but eats EVERY cricket I throw in. She actually are two at once a bit before this picture. I'm getting a couple hissing roaches for her when I go to the pet store on saturday

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
tarantulas, even the largest ones, dont eat very much. feeding maybe 4 criks a week is fine.