Just got a birdeater :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Her abdomen looks a lot bigger than when I got her. I think the dumb online pet store had her almost starved.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Her abdomen looks a lot bigger than when I got her. I think the dumb online pet store had her almost starved.
They do all the time. It's because she's imported and transported in inappropriate containers and probably not given the chance to eat. She looks good.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
If I wanted to get another stirmi in the future how would I know if it's wild caught or not? And do they catch other t' s or just theraphosa's?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
If I wanted to get another stirmi in the future how would I know if it's wild caught or not? And do they catch other t' s or just theraphosa's?
Reputable vendors will be upfront about specifying if their Ts were wild caught or captive bred. Look for the corresponding acronyms WC and CB.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Even if the specimen is WC, reputable dealers only sell them when they get healthier. I would just buy captive bred slings though, they grow fast, and I love the part of watching them go from a small spiderling to a monster of a t.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^yeah that sounds like a good plan. I was thinking of getting some little Lp's at a show on the 30th. Maybe I'll get a stirmi sling as well.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
^^yeah that sounds like a good plan. I was thinking of getting some little Lp's at a show on the 30th. Maybe I'll get a stirmi sling as well.
don't bother buying LP, you'll get them for free with another T sooner or later. And unfortunately their size is overrated. If you want another beast, get a Theraphosa sling ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
even less is fine. i say no less than once a month but no more than 2 times a week. it'll keep her plump but not obese.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
even less is fine. i say no less than once a month but no more than 2 times a week. it'll keep her plump but not obese.
Right on. she looks nice and round right now without being fatwould like to keep her this size. I think fat stirmi have molting problems too? she definitely looks different in just a few weeks. Btw, i got some spider posters and am dolling up my spider room. Tarantula and incredible shrinking man so far will post pics when I get it all done

cold blood

Staff member
And I will repeat the sub is moist not so saturated that water comes out when I squeeze. I might drill holes until I get the readings down to like 90% just for peace of mind. I can always put tape over the holes to restore moisture retention if needed.

Yeah there's no dew or anything on the lid or sides, so I know it's not 99% humid in there. I do have two water dishes in there and I made the moss all the way at the bottom pretty wet before putting just moist substrate over that. Ill like this a whole lot better in about six months and a good molt.
Like others have said, ditch the hydrometer. It serves to use other than stressing the owner out, I did the same when I got my first T's. ;)

As long as she's acting normally, she's fine. Don't sweat it.
And judging by the quotes above, its working its evil magic once again:banghead:

Op, don't measure humidity, just dampen the sub when it dries out, that hygrometer is already making you way over-think thiings.

Part of the life cycle of the t is to molt and be skinny, then fatten, molt and become skinny all over again. The t probably molted fairly recently. Shipping, especially if it takes days like an import might, is naturally going to leave it with many bald spots and scrapes, which makes them look rougher than they might actually be.

Looking even plumper. She's to the point I'm gonna start cutting back. I bought Dubi roaches. Prob give her one a week?
She's definitely looking great, you've done well plumping her. The species has a notoriously large appetite, larger than just about anything else. Feed her well, that may be a few roaches a week until its fat, then slowing down.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Right on. she looks nice and round right now without being fatwould like to keep her this size. I think fat stirmi have molting problems too? she definitely looks different in just a few weeks. Btw, i got some spider posters and am dolling up my spider room. Tarantula and incredible shrinking man so far will post pics when I get it all done
no, all spiders are quite fat before a molt.

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
Looking even plumper. She's to the point I'm gonna start cutting back. I bought Dubi roaches. Prob give her one a week?
Absolutely beautiful T. :) Someday I'd love to have one as well but I don't think I'm quite ready yet. :dead:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^^yeah I ditched the hygrometer and just use it for temperature. Thank u cakelore :) she's a little rough, but I like her a lot. I watched every video from stirmi owners and talked to several to copy their methods. Took the expert advice on this forum and changed the housing for optimal health of the spider. No issues so far and I'm pretty sure my husbandry is solid.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Knew something was up when her appetite was off. After my little stirmi had worms I was concerned. On her back this morning when I looked at 6:00 and fully molted at 11:00lunch break. Will post pics when she comes out of her cubby. She looks very good :)