Just got a birdeater :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
20161216_223612.jpg might touch up the cotton ball w a darker brown. There wasn't much left of her abdomen, but I could clearly sex her if I had any doubts. Gonna hang over her enclosure.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Been six days since her molt. Still in her hide, but muuuuch more active this evening. She's cleaning herself like crazy. Saw her fangs and they are black. I'm gonna wait another week before I feed her and only after she exits her hide. color is turning back to normal too. Post molt she almost looked shades of black and gray, now turning brown again. Measured the molt she was around 9 3/4"

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Gotta loooove Theraphosa! Great stirmi man, good luck with it.

Don't feed it birds by the way, well, maybe pieces of chicken ;).

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I would like to purchase a salmon pink birdeater adult as my first t; yes I understand it's a theraphosa, but I love that genus and would like a stirmi as well. Does anyone think (with a lot of research under my belt, and the added experience of keeping true spiders) do you guys know if I'd survive it?
Theraphosa get larger and are slightly more nervous. Care-wise they're not that different either - moist substrate, cross-ventilation, but a tad more with the fossies :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
By the way my female was also wild caught and did not look the best when I got her. Look at her now though :) :

basin79

ArachnoGod
By the way my female was also wild caught and did not look the best when I got her. Look at her now though :) :

Bloody hell fire she's absolutely stunning. I'll never understand how some say they're just big brown T's.

Just look at her!!!!!

Edit.
On my phone but it looks like she's got a leak on her second leg on the right.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Wow, She looks fantastic! Hopefully Doomsday fattens right up like yours. You have great taste in tarantulas :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Bloody hell fire she's absolutely stunning. I'll never understand how some say they're just big brown T's.

Just look at her!!!!!

Edit.
On my phone but it looks like she's got a leak on her second leg on the right.
Isn't She???

By the way, the fluid is condensation from humidity. Just watered the cages as I will be away for a week.

Wow, She looks fantastic! Hopefully Doomsday fattens right up like yours. You have great taste in tarantulas :)
Thanks man! Large roaches are the best for quick growth. I go larger than Dubia for Theraphosa.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I can't wait for mine to get nearly that big. I ordered mine from Paul Becker at petcenterusa ( I would recommend ordering from him and from Jamie at jamiestarantulas) at roughly 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Has yet to molt, it is so fast that it literally teleports from one side of its enclosure to the other. Your setup looks really good and best of luck with future molts for your girl ^_^

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
She's close to coming out. I can't take the top off the enclosure without scaring her back in the hide, so the pretty legs are a tease till she comes out :) the glare won't allow me to get a better shot of her.

Attachments

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Weird pic through the tub with flashlight on her. If I take the top off for pics she runs in her hide. Exactly two weeks since molt and she ate two big roaches. 1483059364963-2099457301.jpg

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
The eating machine is back. She's more nervous than she was before the molt, running into her hole every time I pop the top, but hanging at the edge for food. She's eating Anything I throw in. Has a small abdomen, so I'm cool with her eating a bunch and plumping up. Only super worms and dubias for her.

Are super worms just as good as Dubias for big tarantulas? I have to order roaches for my LP and Stirmi, but can get supers from LPS.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Are super worms just as good as Dubias for big tarantulas? I have to order roaches for my LP and Stirmi, but can get supers from LPS.
We don't know enough about tarantulas' nutritional needs to answer that. However, it is widely agreed that a varied diet is best.

basin79

ArachnoGod
We don't know enough about tarantulas' nutritional needs to answer that. However, it is widely agreed that a varied diet is best.
Agreed. Or at the very least different fruit and vegetables for your feeders to provide better nutrition.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^IM thinking of adding earthworms to her diet. I can also get small hissing roaches for $1 or great big ones for $3. I'm not taking on the added burden of a breeder colony, so would like things I can pick up weekly from pet shop. the lp and stirmi always eat (when not premolt) and eat anything I toss in, so variation should be no problem. Anyway, started feeding her post molt on Thursday and she already looks healthy and round :) she's eaten a handful of medium Dubia roaches, one cricket and several super worms. Literally, everything I have thrown in front of her lol