Just got a birdeater :D

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
I put plastic over 2/3 of the top to better hold in moisture too. Is there a top that is sold that I can replace the screen one with?
A sheet of acrylic plastic cut to size is about the best thing for it. Drill holes for ventilation.
There is condensation on the sides of the viv. This is a much better way to measure humidity than the gauge, and it looks pretty good as it is now.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
That's the heater facing towards the right. It auto turns off if too hot or anything. I also sat in there through a few cycles to make sure no heat came through the top that would cook my friend. I did wonder if I would need to turn on a light or if she was ok in the dark mostly. There is a little lantern in there that gives off soft light that I Could turn on. Finally, I was thinking of getting a mist machine or something and wondered if this would be beneficial for keeping her moist.

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
That's the heater facing towards the right. It auto turns off if too hot or anything. I also sat in there through a few cycles to make sure no heat came through the top that would cook my friend. I did wonder if I would need to turn on a light or if she was ok in the dark mostly. There is a little lantern in there that gives off soft light that I Could turn on. Finally, I was thinking of getting a mist machine or something and wondered if this would be beneficial for keeping her moist.
Lights aren't needed, these guys shun light and all light would accomplish is a hiding t. A misting machine is too much, when we say she's supposed to be kept moist, we don't mean she should be drenched. Just pour water into the sub once in a while to keep humidity up and she'll be happy. Also, the heater really isn't needed, room temp is fine.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Made this up as a contingency in case she starts to hate the terrarium or it starts growing mols or something. The tub is almost identical in size to a 15 gallon terrarium. I drilled holes on all four sides for better ventilation. Going to get some more substrate tomorrow. It was cheap to make and it's better to b safe than sorry.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Mold isn't really a problem in itself. Mold is an indicator that you need to increase ventilation and/or spot clean more often. Mold (the white, fuzzy kind is usually what you get and that's the kind I'm talking about) doesn't hurt you or the tarantula. Springtails can be added to keep mold at bay if you wish, I have them in all of my moist invert enclosures.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Terrarium setup seems to be working really well. She's still eating like a champ and seems happy. Had a couple crickets in w her last night weren't there this morning. Dropped a big one right in front of her and she grabbed it right up. Put another in front of her after my morning shower she snatched it up and went in her hole. In any case she's eating really well. Still following my gauges keeping it minimum 73 degrees and 80-90 humidity.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
That's good to hear :) she looks healthier already. Off topic but where do people buy there tarantulas from? What is a good site to get healthy ones?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
That's good to hear :) she looks healthier already. Off topic but where do people buy there tarantulas from? What is a good site to get healthy ones?
Right here, check the classifieds. Also petcenterusa.com is large as well as some other t websites.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your set-up looks great. Just make sure you keep up with the humidity.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Right on looks good. I had no clue where to buy from and googled tarantulas for sale and went from there. My stirmi looks rough now because it was most likely wild caught, but the shipping method did her no favors. I will probably buy.any future t's from here. I'm focusing on my big girl for now, but have a couple I want to add in the future. A b Smithi and lp would complete my collection i think.

cold blood

Staff member
Right on looks good. I had no clue where to buy from and googled tarantulas for sale and went from there. My stirmi looks rough now because it was most likely wild caught, but the shipping method did her no favors. I will probably buy.any future t's from here. I'm focusing on my big girl for now, but have a couple I want to add in the future. A b Smithi and lp would complete my collection i think.
Ah, then my spider senses were indeed correct, as the worst place is right at the top of google searches....which does newbies no favors.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A b Smithi and lp would complete my collection i think.
That's what I used to say, 'Just one more T and my collection is finished." I've just accepted now that it'll never be finished.

Glad to hear your girls doing better now.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^I had no idea they were bad. im not completely new to it, but just had rosies and pink toes from the pet shop. 4/4 so far w no deaths. They all live in nice terrariums and i take good care of them. That said, my t stirmi is doing very well and I will enjoy posting pics of her once she molts and looks pretty.