First tarantula

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im interested in getting a tarantula this spring.

whats a good beginners tarantula( pref. burrowing)

i dont care if its not handleable but i dont want something that attacks me while i clean the tank.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
My favorite to recommend as a beginner species is Brachypelma albopilosum, (Honduran curly-hair). Very docile, gets a good size, and not so bad looking, cheap as well.
Next would be Grammastola aeriostriata (Chaco Goldenknee), quite big, nice and calm, and some sweet colors.
I don't happen to like Grammastola rosea (Rose-hair) much, however, they're often quite docile.

Oh, BTW: None of the above are really burrowing species, except young B. albo will often dig burrows.

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually agree with Grammostola aeriostriata (Chaco Goldenknee), I beleive that is a great starter specie.
My first spider was a Paraphysa Scrofa (i cant remeber the common name), and i think i made a great choice and wouldn't change it. She is a medium size T, only about 3 quarters of your palm.
I bought her thinking she was a Grammostola rosea (Rose-hair) which in my opinion NOT the best choice. (mine is a psycho)
Best of luck with your decision. If i were you i would go for a terrestial Tarantula, a burrowing specie, you won't get to see much and trust me you will want to be able to enjoy your new pet.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah terrestial sounds good. i just dont like aboreals for some reason.

What about costa rican zebras(Aphonopelma seemani)

the spiders you list sound cool too.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you want to deal with your little guy bolting all the time then A. seemani is the way to go {D If you don't feel quite up to it, Rosies are nice. Many people say they're just pet rocks but I have no such opinion. I'm suprised no one has mentioned Grammostola pulchra. They're big, black, and glossy. They're beautiful Ts and one of my favorites.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Grammostola pulchra.
Well, can be pretty expensive to buy an adult. And slings, still a bit expensive to learn the ropes with. I'd hate to learn I was doing something wrong with one...

Not to say it can't be a good starter, I just wouldn't recommend it.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like ShadowBlades recomendations but I do like the G. rosea T's also. Rosies are very underrated in my opinion. Out of everything mentioned I would go with G. aeriostriata. :clap: They get real big and you can handle most of them. Their colors make for a good show off T also.

Last edited:

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
out of the T's you guys mentioned i think i like the Brachypelma albopilosum
and G. aeriostriata

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes all the ts mentioned are great beginer ts but as to what you said about wanting a burrowing species most burrowers are going to be fast and aggresive. is there any reason why you want a burrower or just you like the idea. i only have a few for the fact of never seeing them. your lucky to see a burrower even once a month. to me id go with what has been said and go with a terrestrial

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want a tame burrowing species then I recommend E. pachypus (Stout Leg Baboon). I bought an adult female about 6 months ago for pretty cheap. She never threw up a threat pose or went crazy when I was transferring her or doing anything in her cage. She even seems tame enough to handle, but I can't say for sure since I chose not to. If you want to see some pictures of her shortly after I picked her up then take a look at this thread http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=65706

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think ive decided on Grammostola aeriostriata seems like the pics ive seen of it make it a little more colorful than Brachypelma albopilosum

rice_smuggler

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby - just make sure you have at least a shelf all cleared out because I promise you it won't be your last:razz: . I got my first T last month as a freebie when I bought a scorpion to add to my collection at the reptile show up here and I'm now up to 5 T's. I've already prepared for my future purchases by buying a shelf-rack system from WalMart, I even insulated it for the cold winter:p .

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my first and only t is a b emilia. very docile although runs for cover easily. beautiful colours and has done a bit of burrowing and bulldozing aroung its hide.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think ive decided on Grammostola aeriostriata seems like the pics ive seen of it make it a little more colorful than Brachypelma albopilosum
I wouldn't call them colorful, at least not by the standards of other things like C. cyaneopubescens. However, they ARE nice, with their little striped feet and their orange/gold highlights. I've never tried to hold mine, but it's a sweet little thing that's never given me any trouble when doing maintenance or rehousing.

Just be ready for some laughs--this is a species that LOVES to flip/bury its water dish at every opportunity. You might be better off just keeping a corner of the enclosure a little moist, even when it gets big enough for a bowl. They're also very busy little Ts in general once they settle in (granted, "active by T standards" isn't terribly active, but it's something). They love to move dirt around like little bulldozers, and play "professional landscaper" to pass the time. {D So if you get one, give it lots and lots of substrate to entertain itself with.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why get a tarantula? It makes more sense to get several. After all, that's what will happen in a couple of months anyway. I think the G. aureostriata is a great species, and I love B. albopilusum too. I'd also recommend that you get a B. vagans and an A. geniculata. And to make it an even half-dozen (almost worth the shipping costs), throw in a L. parahybana and a C. fasciata (Yeah, I know they're Davus now, but try to find a care sheet with that name). After you work with these a while, you'll want arboreals and old world burrowers, but we can save that for a later post.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. smithi

Why not a Brachypelma smithi? Terrestrial, handsome T, does have urticating hairs tho. My sister loves the one I got for her. Ours is out a lot on display.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why get a tarantula? It makes more sense to get several. After all, that's what will happen in a couple of months anyway. I think the G. aureostriata is a great species, and I love B. albopilusum too. I'd also recommend that you get a B. vagans and an A. geniculata. And to make it an even half-dozen (almost worth the shipping costs), throw in a L. parahybana and a C. fasciata (Yeah, I know they're Davus now, but try to find a care sheet with that name). After you work with these a while, you'll want arboreals and old world burrowers, but we can save that for a later post.

I was think anyway since swiftinverts has b.albopilusum as a freebie that id probably end getting it with the chaco golden. i was planning on maybe next year when i have some more exp. to try a l.parahybana( ive had a hard enough time convincing my mom to let me get 2)

thanks for all your suggestions

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I went with a G. aureostriata and i'd definately recommend one. Great looking T *at least I think so*, docile, and mine eats like a pig. :)

~Fred

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
for the chaco golden and honduran curlyhair willl i need a 10g for either or something bigger

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. aureostriata FTW! Wonderful colors, great attitude and it's sizing is quite impressive none the less, as for sizing of the tank, depends on the size of T itself..good luck with it! Keep us posted!