First tarantula

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on your purchases ! and Welcome to the hobby. I am sure that you have heard this many times already, this hobby is an addictive one.
Always about the encloser size that you mentioned. Make sure that it is not too big. IMO too big is just as bad as too small.
Do a search.
Good luck with your new little babies.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are tons of great Ts that have been given as ideas. I would just like to add that starting off you may want to stay away from anything under .75" as they are a little harder to care for. The reason I bring this up is that many freebies given are on the small side. good luck and dont worry about asking what you may think is a stupid question on here. It is far better to error on the side of safty.
scott

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A 10 gallon will be plenty big enough for a full grown G. auriostriata. I wouldn't go much bigger, it will just be a waste of space. I think most people use a 5 gallon or the equivalent sized KK for most Ts. Chacos get bigger than most of the other Ts mentioned. If you do go for a 10 gallon, make sure you put lots of substate in. You don't want much more space than the Ts legspan. If they fall from the top of a 10 gallon with little substrate you risk them getting hurt, possibly fatally. I personally use a shallow and long enclosure so I don't have to worry about fatal falls and using alot of substrate.

Good luck!

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria geniculata and here's why...

-Very hardy
-Eats like a machine (an eating machine that is)
-Look brilliant!
-Grow Fast
-Never hide/Always visible

A. geniculatas are in my opinion, the perfect starter species! They really do have it all. They're easy to care for. They eat as much as you can feed them, I've had slings eat up to 10 crickets a week. They never hide! You can always see them, because let's face it, why buy a car only to hide it in a cave? You want to see that thing! Well, you've probably already decided but here's my two cents. I hope you consider getting this species sometime, you won't be dissappointed!

Sarah.S

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mmmm any of the brachys would also be great plus they have the added bonus of digging a lot if you give them a chance. Though your chaco will also enjoy a good dig and enough substrate to move around. I would wait on the A.Genic till you have had a little more experience due to their mistaking everything that goes in their tank as food, they can also be a bit temperamental so I would keep these as a second or third T, most places don't describe them as semi aggressive for nothing as if its in a bad mood it can be slightly aggressive. I would also recommend that you remember that both these T's will have a leg span of 6 inches and will be quite stocky with it so what ever size tank you use you need to allow for this. A basic rule of thumb is to make sure your T has 3 times its leg span in length and 2 times in width in terms of the size of its tank. Your also need to adjust this depending on your T's personality some will want to use more space than others and will move around more.

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My two cents...

You seem to have decided, but I must put in a good word for the Aphonopelma hentzi (Oklahoma Brown). Mine is the sweetest of my crew, and the most handlable. Her color, after her most recent molt is a glossy deep chocolate brown with a silvery tan carapace. Very attractive, never hides, she digs, but doesn't tunnel, just sorta moves dirt around. I hear they're also very hardy, easy tank to set up. Definitely my favorite of the 11 T's I have, for personality.

Her only drawback is that she's not much of an eater. Takes maybe one or two crickets a month.

I recommend the species to anyone looking to get into the hobby.

Mr.Extreme

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
um cluess

;P :evil: :worship: :wall: {D :? hey i got mine on monday n i was wondering wen do i clean its tank;P

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey i got mine on monday n i was wondering wen do i clean its tank
Easy on the emotes, you'll give some of us a migraine. ;)

Tank cleaning means you take some tongs and pick out the leftover cricket bits when they start to pile up. In a dry tank, this is all you'll EVER need to do. If it's a species that needs misting, you'll also have to watch out for mold outbreaks, and pick out the mold if it starts growing.

Mr.Extreme

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how bout drinking

ty and wen its heads and sum legs on the spnoge with water in the peanut buttr lid means he is drinking right

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He shouldn't have a sponge, that breeds bacteria. They don't drink offa sponges in the wild. Instead, just put a small dish in there, or if the T is small, a bottle cap.

To prevent crickets from drowning, put a few sterile pebbles, aquarium gravel, or a piece of slate, as a ramp.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you want a tame burrowing species then I recommend E. pachypus (Stout Leg Baboon). I bought an adult female about 6 months ago for pretty cheap. She never threw up a threat pose or went crazy when I was transferring her or doing anything in her cage. She even seems tame enough to handle, but I can't say for sure since I chose not to. If you want to see some pictures of her shortly after I picked her up then take a look at this thread http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=65706
I would hesitate to call any tarantula "tame." Especially an African that is known, while not as defensive as other Africans, to definitely be on the "not great to handle beginner's list."

Mr.Extreme

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can i

:? hi i have no crickets i fed it the last on earlier can i feed it tommorow i thnk it s hungry

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
:? hi i have no crickets i fed it the last on earlier can i feed it tommorow i thnk it s hungry
...can you translate this into English please? :?

I *think* you're trying to say that you fed the tarantula today, and are asking if you should feed it tomorrow. In which case, no, you absolutely should not. Feed 2-3 crickets once a week.

Darkstar

Arachnopeon
my starter spider was the pink zebra beauty(Eupalastrus campestratus) it is freindly and very very cheap 7 $!!!! you cant go wrong:cool: